5 sports venues you want to visit

You can also make a secondary list of 5 from the past that may be closed/demolished/etc. that you wish you had the chance to visit.

Mine:

1. Fenway- Boston- hate the Red Sox, but I love the intimacy of that place and the way it's just scrunched into a tiny block. Also, the oldest park in baseball.

2. Wrigley- Chicago- for similar reasons.

3. Lambeau- Green Bay- alot of history and there's no other like it.

4. Bell Centre- Montreal- home of my favorite hockey team. Never been. Yet.

5. Madison Square Garden

Past:

1. Montreal Forum- speaks for itself.

2. Chicago Stadium- I almost want to count this one twice. Once for a Bulls finals game during the 90s, and once for a Blackhawks game during the 70s.

3. Boston Garden- Same as above. Would love to see a Bruins game during the 70s and a Celtics game in the 80s.

4. Polo Grounds in New York

5. Olympia Stadium- Detroit- another of the old schools.

sig.png

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having been to most of the stadiums for teams I support/follow and to both the old and new Wembley Stadiums here is what is left for me.

1. Beaver Stadium - in particular to experience the student section as it looks insane.

2. Twickenham - to see the England Rugby union side preferably against NZ or one of the other "home" nations.

3. Silverstone - Would love to see an F1 race first hand though, second choice would be Spa-Francorchamps.

4. Alexandra Palace (Ally Pally) - Not really an American thing, but the darts seems like a great experience, if not for anything to do with the actual result of the matches, just a jolly good pi$$ up and this is the best/most famous venue of them all.

5. MCG - Melbourne Cricket Ground in Australia, as part of the visiting Barmy Army would really be a great sporting and life experience.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

1) The Big House (Michigan)

2) Tiger Stadium (LSU... a night game to be specific)

3) Ben Hill Griffith Stadium (Florida Gators)

4) Rose Bowl (preferably for the Rose Bowl, not a UCLA game)

5) Madison Square Garden for a Knicks game

Past venues:

1) Griffith Stadium (Washington Senators)

2) old Mountaineer Field (WVU)

3) Polo Grounds

4) Ebbets Field

5) Wrigley Field (for a Bears game)

90758391980.gif

Of the ones I have yet to visit that I'd like to visit:

Wrigley Field - Already visited Fenway many times, and Wrigley is the other "shrine" park yet almost the antithesis of Fenway

Gillette Stadium - Home to the Pats, I've never been to it (always seen them in person away)

Kingsmeadow - Home to my favorite English team AFC Wimbledon

Tokyo Dome - Home to my favorite Japanese baseball team, and the "Yankees" of the East the Yomiuri Giants (never seen a game in a dome either)

PNC Park - Supposedly the best or second best of the new ballparks, love to judge for myself

Of those that are gone:

Foxboro Stadium - Never saw a game there, would have liked to have done so.

Shibe Park - The "Camden Yards" of the early 20th century parks and home to my A's for a half century

Yankee Stadium (pre 70's renovation) - The place was a history book with seats

Olympic Stadium - With the Expos now gone, I'd want to go back and see it in person to judge for myself if it was as bad as everyone claimed

Boston Garden - a non-standard arena would be an amazing thing to see.

In no particular order, here are the current stadiums I'd like to visit:

Bristol Motor Speedway-I'd like to attend the night race here one of these years.

Lambeau Field-The place just oozes with football history

Ben Hill Griffin Stadium-Gator games in The Swamp always look electric on TV.

O.co Coliseum-It'd be neat to check out a Raider game there.

Yum! Center-I've been told the place is nice and has lots of amenities.

Now, the past:

Mile High Stadium-Not that the Broncos' current stadium isn't a great atmosphere, but their previous stadium was nice mixed in with zany.

Tiger Stadium-There was lots of history tied up here.

Orange Bowl-Both Dolphins and Hurricane fans have told me it was a neat place to watch a football game.

Pitt Stadium-The Panthers used to have a cozy on-campus stadium that looked like another great place to watch a game.

Tulane Stadium-Just to see what the place was like.

Honorable mentions:

Veteran's Stadium-I went there for a Phillies game but would have liked to see an Eagles game there.

Soldier Field-The refurbished Soldier Field looks like a totally new stadium. I would have liked to see Soldier Field before the renovations, with the pillars in the background.

I have visited most MLB parks, so places like Wrigley, Fenway, will not show up.

1. PNC Park in Pittsburgh. Love the view of the river/bridge/skyline

2. Rangers Ballpark - Love the enclosed look.

3. Michigan Stadium - Had a chance to go there my sophomore year. Still have not forgiven myself.

4. Joe Louis Arena - I am sure it's not that nice, but the new NBA/NHL arenas are roughly all the same...I want to see the older places (also Nassau for that reason).

5. Cameron Indoor Stadium

Past (I know, I know, they were all "dumps")

1. Tiger Stadium - I really wish I'd have gone there.

2. Old Commisky Park.

3. Boston Garden.

4. Polo Grounds

5. I don't know what it was called, but the U of Oregon basketball arena that closed a couple of years ago

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Most of my favorite teams, I've been to their stadiums like M&T Bank Stadium and Oriole Park, but...

1.) Honda Center (I am a huge Ducks fan and this would be my dream come true)

2.) U.S. Cellular Field (White Sox/Orioles fan)

3.) Minute Maid Park (This stadium always looks so cool on TV)

4.) Red Bull Arena, New Jersey (Big Red Bulls fan)

5.) Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum (It's just one of those stadiums that looks really cool on the outside)

Past

1.) Old Yankee Stadium (I was there when I was a toddler but obviously remember nothing)

2.) Capital Centre (It always looked cool on the outside and I heard it was a nice arena)

3.) Astrodome (I know it is still there, but who knows how much longer. Plus, my family has been there when they lived in Houston before I was born and they praised that place)

4.) Memorial Stadium, Baltimore (I've been there several times when I was 6 or 7, but barely remember it. I'd just love to go back and experience it again. Even if the seats sucked :P)

5.) Old Comiskey Park (White Sox fan pilgrimage)

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

I have visited most MLB parks, so places like Wrigley, Fenway, will not show up.

1. PNC Park in Pittsburgh. Love the view of the river/bridge/skyline

2. Rangers Ballpark - Love the enclosed look.

3. Michigan Stadium - Had a chance to go there my sophomore year. Still have not forgiven myself.

4. Joe Louis Arena - I am sure it's not that nice, but the new NBA/NHL arenas are roughly all the same...I want to see the older places (also Nassau for that reason).

5. Cameron Indoor Stadium

Past (I know, I know, they were all "dumps")

1. Tiger Stadium - I really wish I'd have gone there.

2. Old Commisky Park.

3. Boston Garden.

4. Polo Grounds

5. I don't know what it was called, but the U of Oregon basketball arena that closed a couple of years ago

Tiger Stadium was something else. I was devastated when they demolished it and didn't preserve it in some way. I had the pleasure of going numerous times, including the 2nd last game. They let people walk the field and I scooped up some dirt from the infield and scraped some paint off the walls in the bleachers. Still tucked away safely in a box somewhere.

With Joe Louis, you're right it's not all that nice, but it's got that old-school feeling. Even though it was built in the 70s, when you're in the concessions, there are iron columns and random pieces of plywood everywhere and the ceilings are very low. It feels like it was built in the 30s. I'll be sad to see it go too.

sig.png

I like this topic:

1) Philips Stadion- Eindhioven, Netherlands.

2) Amsterdam Arena- Amsterdam, Netherlands. I have a cousin who has season seats and swears it's the best atmosphere in all of pro sports.

3) Lambeau Field- Green Bay, Wisconsin. Just the history

4) CenturyLink Field- Seattle, Washinton. Just seeing the crowd on TV makes me want to be there in person.

5) Pepsi Centre- Denver, Colorado. Mostly because I just want to see the Avalanche play.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Bristol Motor Speedway-I'd like to attend the night race here one of these years.

After having seen close to 400 A's or Raiders games at the Coliseum over 25+ years I can save you the trip. There's not much to see and the "Raiders" experience is really overrated (unless you're in about 3-4 rows of the Black Hole). Otherwise you typically end up sitting in an upper deck section that is half empty and quiet as a church.

After having seen close to 400 A's or Raiders games at the Coliseum over 25+ years I can save you the trip. There's not much to see and the "Raiders" experience is really overrated (unless you're in about 3-4 rows of the Black Hole). Otherwise you typically end up sitting in an upper deck section that is half empty and quiet as a church.

I went to an A's game in 2007 and I enjoyed it. Admittedly, it's in part because I am nostalgic for the pre-luxury box days of my 1980s youth; I almost put Arlington Stadium on my "Past" list. But I really liked being in that closed-concourse pile of concrete. It was July 3 and there were fireworks, so the un-tarped areas were almost sold out, which added to it. That and the A's fans were really fun (as opposed to the Giants fans a few days before, though that's a beautiful park). I do wish I'd been there before Mount Davis.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1. Allianz Arena - Place looks badass from the outside

2. Barclay's Center - I want to see what the hoopla is all about. It also look kind of sweet from the outside and inside as far as the pics I have seen are concerned.

3. Jeld-Wen Field - Every video I have seen of Timbers fans makes me want to go and be a part of that atmosphere.

4. Any NFL stadium - Only Big 4 sport I have never seen live.

5. Chesapeke Energy Arena - That OKC crowd right now is awesome to watch. Yes I know Seattle got screwed but that is not the fault of OKC fans.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

1) Lincoln Financial Field - Ive been to citizens bank park, wells fargo center, veterans stadium, spectrum, but never an eagles game

2) Fenway Park

3) Wrigley Field

4) Nationals Park - just cause its close

5) Id say madison square garden, but pre-renovation.

Past:

1) Baker Bowl: Would be fun to watch a game here, with the crazy wall and dimensions

2) Connie Mack/Shibe Park: Another classic phillies park, but id watch the a's here, if it meant one trip in a time machine (since id go to baker bowl as well)

3) Eagles game @ the vet....in the 700 level possibly lol

Current:

1: KFC Yum! Center- I haven't been there for a Louisville game although I have been to Freedom hall (will be showing pic at the end of the post). The only time I entered the arena was a Bill Paisley concert. I do know that it holds 22,000 people and looks really futuristic.

2: Autzen Stadium- It's small size doesn't make this stadium any quieter and I would love to the Oregon fans.

3: MSG- One of the world's most famous sporting venues and would be quite an experience during the BE Tournament.

4: Rupp Arena- As long I wear anything other my Louisville gear, the fans would be just fine.

5: Michigan Stadium- Biggest stadium in CFB and it has awesome fans to show for it.

Past:

1: Polo Grounds: From the rectangular dimensions to The Catch, this place is very interesting to watch a baseball game.

2: Old Yankee Stadium- The is just too much history to not visit good 'ole Yankee Stadium.

3: Old Soldier Field- Compared to the new Soldier Field, it looks like a real football stadium.

4: Freedom Hall- One of my all-time favorite basketball arenas ever, so much that I ordered 2 DVDs about the place. This place has tradition, success, and most importantly, versatile. When I first entered the arena, I felt like I was going back 50 years when college basketball didn't have high tech amenities. If it is any arena I want to go back, it would be this place.

5: Forbes Field- Like Freedom Hall, it was versatile because it hosted the Pirates, Steelers, and Panthers (Pitt). Also, there is just so much tradition and history there.

Pics of the Older Stadiums:

Old Soldier Field:

t_42014.jpg

Freedom Hall:

ncb_u_freedomhall_600.jpg

Polo Grounds:

325px-Polo_Grounds_1923.jpg

Old Yankee Stadium:

Yankee-stadium-2.jpg

Forbes Field:

gofffor2.jpg

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

MTS Centre

Oakland Coliseum

Fenway Park, though I shall find myself using the restroom during "Sweet Caroline"

Oracle Arena

the rink for some really remote town in the Q, like Baie-Comeau, or Val d'Or

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

All of you referring to "old" Yankee stadium are referring to it when it was "new" Yankee Stadium.

The real "OLD" Yankee Stadium is where Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle, et al played:

1111635794_5ebe30eee2_o.jpg

The more recent one was built on the same site after the old stadium was torn down in the mid 70's. The Yanks played at Shea for two seasons while it was re-built.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

All of you referring to "old" Yankee stadium are referring to it when it was "new" Yankee Stadium.

The real "OLD" Yankee Stadium is where Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle, et al played:

1111635794_5ebe30eee2_o.jpg

The more recent one was built on the same site after the old stadium was torn down in the mid 70's. The Yanks played at Shea for two seasons while it was re-built.

Thanks for the heads-up there. My pic was Yankee stadium after the renovation. I would still like to go to the real Old Yankee Stadium as well.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Archived