2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

Now its Marty Mornhinweg's turn to try to fix Mark Sanchez.

I actually don't think its a bad hire, but I'm not sure if the Jets offense could be fixed even if they were allowed to hand pick their offensive coordinator.

Rumors are starting to fly they might go out and get Michael Vick,

Not going to happen, unless Vick is willing to take a very drastic pay cut. The Jets don't have room to pay him anywhere near what he's making now.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually don't think its a bad hire, but I'm not sure if the Jets offense could be fixed even if they were allowed to hand pick their offensive coordinator.

Not going to happen, unless Vick is willing to take a very drastic pay cut. The Jets don't have room to pay him anywhere near what he's making now.

Well he's going to be taking a pay cut regardless of where he ends up next year. There's no way the Eagles are going in next year with him making that kind of money. He'll either rework his current deal with the Eagles or they'll just release him.

I wouldn't go after him if I were the Jets, but I'm not looking for logic in any of their moves. If the media says its a possibility Vick could be a Jet that's all I need at this point to say it may happen.

Well he's going to be taking a pay cut regardless of where he ends up next year. There's no way the Eagles are going in next year with him making that kind of money. He'll either rework his current deal with the Eagles or they'll just release him.

I wouldn't go after him if I were the Jets, but I'm not looking for logic in any of their moves. If the media says its a possibility Vick could be a Jet that's all I need at this point to say it may happen.

That's an interesting way of looking at it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

He is guaranteed $3M if he's on the roster after February 6 (or around that time) so I would assume the decision to cut him would happen by then. He said he's not going to rework his deal, but who knows if that's true or not. Either way, Chip Kelly said above all things he needs his QB to be a quick decision maker, and that's not Vick. He might have legs (even still) but he doesn't seem a good fit for what I would imagine the Chip Kelly NFL offense would be.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

He is guaranteed $3M if he's on the roster after February 6 (or around that time) so I would assume the decision to cut him would happen by then. He said he's not going to rework his deal, but who knows if that's true or not. Either way, Chip Kelly said above all things he needs his QB to be a quick decision maker, and that's not Vick. He might have legs (even still) but he doesn't seem a good fit for what I would imagine the Chip Kelly NFL offense would be.

Well the thing is Vick is clearly not the best option, but who else are the Eagles going to get? I don't think there's anybody out there that the Eagles could get this year that be a good long term fit for what Chip Kelly would want outside of Geno Smith, so Vick may just be the starter by default.

As for Vick saying he's not going to rework his deal, he's probably telling the truth. I think he will want to test free agency rather then just re up with the Eagles. I still think he'll ultimately end up in Philly.

My question would be who would the Patriots be looking to draft in the Browns spot and the two guy that stick out to me are Damontre Moore and Bjoern Werner. So you you have to ask yourself how much do they value those two players and that will tell you what they think of Ryan Mallett, because Tom Brady has maybe five years left in him. My guess is if they were really that convinced Mallett was the man, the wouldn't be trading him for a defensive end.

Mallett only has two years left under contract, and then very possibly might get a starting position. The team would not want to tie that much up in QB salaries, and I think even given equal money, Mallett would prefer a team where he'd get a chance to play.

I think at the moment, the Patriots see just how weak the upcoming draft is for skill players (4, counting a TE, in Kiper's Top 20), and see a chance to leverage what they have into something that can help the team out more in the immediate future.

I do think, though, it's extraordinarily telling that the Patriots ONLY carried Brady and Mallett as QBs. No third, no practice squad quarterbacks, that showed an absolute :censored:ton of confidence in him.

I'm not sure what rule in the NFL could piss me off more than the Rooney Rule.

While there has been full compliance with the interview requirements of the Rooney Rule and we wish the new head coaches and general managers much success, the hiring results this year have been unexpected and reflect a disappointing lack of diversity.

Bull :censored: . NFL teams hire on qualifications and who interviews best - not skin colour.

spacer.png

I'm not sure what rule in the NFL could piss me off more than the Rooney Rule.

While there has been full compliance with the interview requirements of the Rooney Rule and we wish the new head coaches and general managers much success, the hiring results this year have been unexpected and reflect a disappointing lack of diversity.

Bull :censored: . NFL teams hire on qualifications and who interviews best - not skin colour.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't think NFL coach hiring is racist, nor do I think it's purely meritocratic. I think general managers just spin around with a blindfold and pick a guy. My team just hired a guy who had been exiled from the league for eight years.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That sounds accurate to me. Offhand, I can only come up with Herman Edwards and Romeo Crennel, though both of their second chances were with Kansas City, which between Andy Reid, the aforementioned, Vermeil, Schottenheimer, and even Joe Montana, is like the official team of second chances.

I'm 50/50 as to whether Lovie Smith gets another job. In terms of results, he should, but there's a nine-year dossier on why he should never be put in charge of anything again.

But Norv Turner has a 20 year dossier and he's still working Sundays next season.

Today, we are all otaku.

As long as he's just a coordinator, it should be okay, but Norv Turner's continued re-hiring as a head coach transcended institutional racism and entered institutional incomprehensibility.

That sounds accurate to me. Offhand, I can only come up with Herman Edwards and Romeo Crennel, though both of their second chances were with Kansas City, which between Andy Reid, the aforementioned, Vermeil, Schottenheimer, and even Joe Montana, is like the official team of second chances.

I'm 50/50 as to whether Lovie Smith gets another job. In terms of results, he should, but there's a nine-year dossier on why he should never be put in charge of anything again.

Dungy was fired in Tampa Bay and immediately picked up by the Colts.

Dennis Green was at Minnesota and Arizona.

Art Shell was HC with the Raiders twice.

The point still remains as it still does in the NCAA though, black head coaches typically get hired for the lesser jobs and do not generally get second chances. Heck, when Dallas hired Jason Garrett, Jerry Jones only wanted to interview Dennis Green by phone to comply with Rooney Rule.

Well the thing is Vick is clearly not the best option, but who else are the Eagles going to get? I don't think there's anybody out there that the Eagles could get this year that be a good long term fit for what Chip Kelly would want outside of Geno Smith, so Vick may just be the starter by default.

As for Vick saying he's not going to rework his deal, he's probably telling the truth. I think he will want to test free agency rather then just re up with the Eagles. I still think he'll ultimately end up in Philly.

The Geno Smith/Matt Barkley/Landry Jones type of QB may quickly be out of favor after the performances of RGIII/Wilson/Kaepernick. The NFL is experiencing massive turnover inside the upper management with guys as GMs and Pro Personnel Director positions in their late 30s and early 40s with the result of looking at college scouting and looking for more QBs who can be accurate throwing, possess the ability to scramble to cause more defensive havoc. With Kelly and the new Eagles GM, Howie Roseman, they are try to find that type of QB through practice squads, or on flim. A Matt Scott (Arizona), Nick Florence (Baylor), or someone else with such a skill set are more likely options since the jobs of both Kelly and Roseman are to find such a QB.

Art Shell was HC with the Raiders twice.

The point still remains as it still does in the NCAA though, black head coaches typically get hired for the lesser jobs and do not generally get second chances. Heck, when Dallas hired Jason Garrett, Jerry Jones only wanted to interview Dennis Green by phone to comply with Rooney Rule.

I think we have to generally consider the Al Davis Raiders an across-the-board outlier.

I'm surprised Ted Cottrell never got a head coaching opportunity. His defenses were generally successful and he was always a Rooney Rule interview, but he never got the job.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

As long as he's just a coordinator, it should be okay, but Norv Turner's continued re-hiring as a head coach transcended institutional racism and entered institutional incomprehensibility.

I disagree slightly. Issues may surface in the coach of your head coaching experience that indicate that you really shouldn't be a coordinator either. Linehan and Spagnuolo come readily to mind here.

Today, we are all otaku.

I think there's been enough sample size that basically says, it's not that black coaches don't get chances... black coaches just don't usually get second chances, compared to how many white coaches who are total also-rans and get shot after shot after shot.

And that's why the rule is still necessary.

The NFL has a long way to go with black coaches.

Archived