2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

Yeah, having people lodged in moored cruise ships and Super 8s was not ideal.

I'd be fine with a permanent rotation of Miami, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and New Stadium That's Owed A Favor.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be fine with a permanent rotation of Miami, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and New Stadium That's Owed A Favor.

That's fine with me and part of the reason why I like the standardized logos. You can only make so many different designs with a sun and a palm tree.

But give me Super Bowl L in the Rose Bowl.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

It wasn't even cold the year Jacksonville got it, just nippy. They were still Super Bowl blacklisted though.

Lack of hotel space, not weather. Weather isn't even an iota of a factor on why they wont get it the next 20 years.

Given that Atlanta got blacklisted for a freak ice storm I'd wager the weather played a part in it.

Miami is another stadium that isn't getting back into the mix if they don't add a roof (or so I've heard).

I kind of want to fancy the idea of Tampa hosting the Super Bowl again some day, but this isn't exactly a glamour market.

spacer.png

That's fine with me and part of the reason why I like the standardized logos. You can only make so many different designs with a sun and a palm tree.

No. Going back last month, even with the new suites and other improvements, in reality, the Rose Bowl is barely average as a venue.

It is a b!tch to get in and out of since the valley is in a residential neighborhood, the golf course (parking lot) is underlit and with the other NFL-related events on site, even more fans would need to be bussed in from Cal Tech and downtown Pasadena, and most importantly, only 30-40% of the seats (Sections 1-8 and 15-22) have chairbacks.

Snow is one thing. As far as the temperature, so long as you're not at the game, does it really matter? If it's 35 or 20 or 50 degrees, what's the difference?

Well it matters to the people at the game. Going to the Super Bowl is an experience in and of itself. If it's freezing, and people there are having a less then stellar time, then it will definitely impact whether or not there's another open air cold weather Super Bowl.

It wasn't even cold the year Jacksonville got it, just nippy. They were still Super Bowl blacklisted though.

Exactly. So that's what, 80,000 people out of how many hundreds of million people that tune in?

And yes, you'll hear all the media types bitching and moaning about how it's cold and why aren't we in Miami blah blah blah like you always do.

Outside of those people though, let 'em be cold, whatever. People don't have a problem embracing the Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field or anything like that. So let some of those corporate suits sack up for a few hours.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Lack of hotel space, not weather. Weather isn't even an iota of a factor on why they wont get it the next 20 years.

Given that Atlanta got blacklisted for a freak ice storm I'd wager the weather played a part in it.

Atlanta had an ice storm. I'll take that bet.

You might be surprised to learn which was the coldest SB ever. I sure was surprised...and I was at the game! I still have my ticket stub with its now-ludicrous face value price of $15. :blink:

IMG_1158-1.jpg

Still have these, too.

IMG_1160.jpg

I remember it being cold but turns out the game time temp of 39 is the lowest ever for a Super Bowl.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

You might be surprised to learn which was the coldest SB ever. I sure was surprised...and I was at the game! I still have my ticket stub with its now-ludicrous face value price of $15. :blink:

IMG_1158-1.jpg

Still have these, too.

IMG_1160.jpg

I remember it being cold but turns out the game time temp of 39 is the lowest ever for a Super Bowl.

The one at Tulane, right?

Nm, you edited yours while I replied.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Snow is one thing. As far as the temperature, so long as you're not at the game, does it really matter? If it's 35 or 20 or 50 degrees, what's the difference?

It's not just the game. If this were a regular season or other postseason game, then there's indifference on the climate and temperature. All the doomsday predictions the league is circling around are the pregame and halftime stuff, especially with the moving of stages, fireworks and trying to perform without catching hypothermia.

Atlanta had an ice storm. I'll take that bet.

So did Dallas, but they blew themselves over with the whole fake seats fiasco.

No. Going back last month, even with the new suites and other improvements, in reality, the Rose Bowl is barely average as a venue.

It is a b!tch to get in and out of since the valley is in a residential neighborhood, the golf course (parking lot) is underlit and with the other NFL-related events on site, even more fans would need to be bussed in from Cal Tech and downtown Pasadena, and most importantly, only 30-40% of the seats (Sections 1-8 and 15-22) have chairbacks.

Pasadena isn't even in the running for SB 50; Miami and San Francisco is. The bid who loses becomes the shoo in for SB 51. After that, it's a toss up for SB 52 between many cities (at last I heard bids for Indy, New Orleans and Tampa).

If it works in New York it could work in Seattle. Not holding my breath, of course.

Call me crazy if you wish but, after having just come back from up there, so long as it doesn't get too windy—and as long as there are no chain laws in effect through Snoqualmie Pass*—wouldn't mind seeing the Super Bowl up there, either. More people deserve to see the Pacific Northwest, even at that time of year...steady drizzle or no. (Must be nice living up in that little city built up on an isthmus between the Olympias and the Cascades, huh? :P )

*trucker problems

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Pasadena isn't even in the running for SB 50; Miami and San Francisco is. The bid who loses becomes the shoo in for SB 51. After that, it's a toss up for SB 52 between many cities (at last I heard bids for Indy, New Orleans and Tampa).

New Orleans? I thought that they wouldn't get one for a long time, what with the blackout and all.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

If it works in New York it could work in Seattle. Not holding my breath, of course.

Call me crazy if you wish but, after having just come back from up there, so long as it doesn't get too windy—and as long as there are no chain laws in effect through Snoqualmie Pass*—wouldn't mind seeing the Super Bowl up there, either. More people deserve to see the Pacific Northwest, even at that time of year...steady drizzle or no. (Must be nice living up in that little city built up on an isthmus between the Olympias and the Cascades, huh? :P )

*trucker problems

Seattle probably doesn't have the transit infrastructure yet to support a Super Bowl, but I'm pretty sure Jacksonville didn't either. Otherwise, yeah, February is generally mild enough here that you're looking at 40-55 degrees in a drizzle for a few hours. It's not ideal football conditions, but not the worst either. Century Link field is awesome though and manages to hold power through eight Seahawks games, random NCAA games, a million Sounders games, and the odd U2 concert here and there. Bring it on!

(I'm with you on Snoqualmie Pass frustrations. I'm not a regular driver, but drove through over Christmas in a pretty awful snowstorm. It sucked.)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yeah, I have no idea how the city/Jaguars fleeced the NFL with that.

They were "New Stadium That's Owed A Favor"

Also an NFL player may or may not have played a critical role in a murder that weekend.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived