New Flag for Fiji?

fumbler

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good. I hate flags that include the Union Jack. That includes your flag fumbler. I think all these flags would look a lot better without them.

Britain had a hand in founding a lot of nations, but many of these countries now have a long history under their own rule. Red/white/blue doesn't say Australia to me, or NZ/Fiji/etc... its a shame that so many flags look the same, especially in the Pacific with its unique art styles. Plus the union jack is too detailed to be placed in a canton, looks great on its own though.

sig.png

Someone certainly is an Anglophobe.

No, I am not an Anglophobe. It just doesn't make sense on why they have to put their flag on other people's flags when they have absolutely no control over that country.

To be technical, Queen Elizabeth II is the head of many of the aforementioned states. I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't hate them at all.

6fQjS3M.png

Good. I hate flags that include the Union Jack. That includes your flag fumbler. I think all these flags would look a lot better without them.

Britain had a hand in founding a lot of nations, but many of these countries now have a long history under their own rule. Red/white/blue doesn't say Australia to me, or NZ/Fiji/etc... its a shame that so many flags look the same, especially in the Pacific with its unique art styles. Plus the union jack is too detailed to be placed in a canton, looks great on its own though.

Red white and blue definantly doesn't say australia, but when someone in the government brought up changing the flag a few years back the was a massive outcry from the public and the IDE was scrapped. Despite our hate for England we love out flag, I also pretty much guaranty that if we did get a new flag it wouldn't be green and gold as the rest of the world would suspect, it would be black red and yellow, the colours of the indigenous Australians flag.

No, I am not an Anglophobe. It just doesn't make sense on why they have to put their flag on other people's flags when they have absolutely no control over that country.

Because they're part of the Commonwealth of Nations? (albeit suspended because of the aforementioned coup)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

To be technical, Queen Elizabeth II is the head of many of the aforementioned states. I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't hate them at all.

Here's the thing though. Queen Elizabeth II isn't the head of state of Fiji. Which is what makes their flag situation so unique. Fiji was, like Canada, Australia, and New Zealand (among others) a Commonwealth Realm, but the Queen abdicated the throne of Fiji following the 1987 coup. Fiji's been a republic, completely independent of the Crown, since then but they've kept the Union Jack on the flag. Very weird situation all around.

So changing the flag to remove the Union Jack would simply reflect a political change that occurred almost thirty years ago.

I also pretty much guaranty that if we did get a new flag it wouldn't be green and gold as the rest of the world would suspect, it would be black red and yellow, the colours of the indigenous Australians flag.

I always assumed any potential post-Union Jack Aussie flag would be blue and white, with maybe a touch of gold or red.

I know there was a proposal to simply replace the Union Jack would the indigenous flag, but the designer of the indigenous flag shot it down.

Because they're part of the Commonwealth of Nations? (albeit suspended because of the aforementioned coup)

The Canadian Red Ensign was rather sharp looking....

I reckon this little animation is particularly apt for this conversation:

And here is the link to the Ausflag website. Some interesting ideas for flags here: http://www.ausflag.com.au/

95-2.gif

95-4.gif

95-3.gif

95-1.gif

Never understand why Aussie and NZ vote to keep the Union Jack.

Good on Fiji for ditching it. Hope they go with something White and Black like their rugby team:

fiji-rugby-uae.jpg

That animation was well made.

What I don't get is, although I understand some Australians wanting to sever all ties with Britain, surely its going to take quite some time for a new flag to become as recognisable as the current flag?

As for Fiji, well that's a whole other ball game seeings as its military rule.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

I also pretty much guaranty that if we did get a new flag it wouldn't be green and gold as the rest of the world would suspect, it would be black red and yellow, the colours of the indigenous Australians flag.

I always assumed any potential post-Union Jack Aussie flag would be blue and white, with maybe a touch of gold or red.

I know there was a proposal to simply replace the Union Jack would the indigenous flag, but the designer of the indigenous flag shot it down.

Nor should it be used to represent a nation. The aboriginal flag has the explicit purpose of representing the indigenous population. It would be just as exclusive of other people as the current flag. The medium lies with green and gold, which represents Australian flora, and widely considered to be our true national colours.

Have to say that the roo over the sun looks great though.

sig.png

Here's the thing though. Queen Elizabeth II isn't the head of state of Fiji. Which is what makes their flag situation so unique. Fiji was, like Canada, Australia, and New Zealand (among others) a Commonwealth Realm, but the Queen abdicated the throne of Fiji following the 1987 coup. Fiji's been a republic, completely independent of the Crown, since then but they've kept the Union Jack on the flag. Very weird situation all around.

So changing the flag to remove the Union Jack would simply reflect a political change that occurred almost thirty years ago.

Right, it was more of a comment in regards to Australia, New Zealand, and others that use the Union Jack -- should've specified that.

6fQjS3M.png

I reckon this little animation is particularly apt for this conversation:

And here is the link to the Ausflag website. Some interesting ideas for flags here: http://www.ausflag.com.au/

95-2.gif

95-4.gif

95-3.gif

95-1.gif

Good on Fiji for ditching it. Hope they go with something White and Black like their rugby team:

fiji-rugby-uae.jpg

Meh. The problem I have with the current Canadian flag is that it's rather....empty. Not in terms of design, obviously, but in terms of what it represents. What does it symbolize? Why the red bands? Why only one red leaf when the official emblem of Canada is supposed to be three red leaves on one stem?

Whatever the flaws the previous red ensign had, it represented something. The origin of Canada's governmental system, it's continued connection to the Commonwealth, the flag Canadian soldiers fought under for two world wars. The ensign represented something. The current flag looks fantastic, and I do have a sentimental attachment to it, but it looks like it was designed by committee. Which it was. It doesn't tell the story of the nation, something a flag should do. Which, objectively speaking makes it a poor flag.

That's what I feel when I see the Aussie flag proposals.

Some fantastic designs, but designing a national flag isn't the same as designing a sports logo.

The current flag looks fantastic, and I do have a sentimental attachment to it, but it looks like it was designed by committee. Which it was. It doesn't tell the story of the nation, something a flag should do.

I dunno, "design by committee" seems pretty Canadian to me.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Nor should it be used to represent a nation. The aboriginal flag has the explicit purpose of representing the indigenous population. It would be just as exclusive of other people as the current flag. The medium lies with green and gold, which represents Australian flora, and widely considered to be our true national colours.

Have to say that the roo over the sun looks great though.

I wouldn't like for the aboriginal flag to be our flag, nor would many people but if there was a flag re design I think it would be a derivative of that flag

The current flag looks fantastic, and I do have a sentimental attachment to it, but it looks like it was designed by committee. Which it was. It doesn't tell the story of the nation, something a flag should do.

I dunno, "design by committee" seems pretty Canadian to me.

Given that similar maple leaves are tacked to everything Canadian I'd say the flag does a good job of representing Canada, whether it tells a story or not.

sig.png

What vote? We've never been given a vote or choice in the matter. There's never been a proposed flag that's got beyond the stage of some designer waving his concept around in the breeze and asking for attention.

And any Australian flag change should correctly feature the heraldic colours of blue and gold.

liverpool-1.png

Archived