The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know hindsight is 20/20 but does any one else think that Edmonton wishes they took Seguin and Landeskog over Hall and Nugent-Hopkins?

I know I would. Hall is looking like he'll be a 70 point guy at best and Nugent-Hopkins is already becoming injury prone.

Hall and RNH are fine. What they really should have done is draft Alex Galchenyuk over Nail Yakupov, hell even Griffin Reinhart, he plays in the same building as you.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Nobody would like to see the Oilers' 3 #1's bust more than me, but I think it's a little too early . Yakupov is in his 25th game, RNH is still only 19, and Taylor Hall hasn't been able to stay healthy long enough to really find his groove.

I think they'll be fine.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yeah, Pittsburgh would definitely want a defensemen. /cough Bouwmeester..

Bouwmeester rumors have surfaced here every year ever since Gill and Scuderi left. So basically, it won't happen. Shero seems to like to sign guys nobody expects. I would love to see him on the Pens, though. I believe their big weakness at this point is the lack of a large, reliable, experienced defenseman to keep guys out of the crease as well as other things the younger/smaller guys on the Pens' D seem to be unable to do. I always like to reference back to the Gill/Scuderi pair from 09. Without that pair, they do not win that cup, and I still believe they should have kept one of those two guys.

The only thing is, I like what the Penguins have right now as well. To sacrifice what would be necessary to bring in a Bouwmeester or a Iginla (we don't need a forward. Anyone can play with Sid. How else is Chris freaking Kunitz third in the league? We have enough offense.) isn't something I'm too thrilled about depending on who it is. Then again Calgary could use a few future picks these days...

But in the end, I wouldn't be too surprised if Shero did nothing.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

The thing about Carcillo is that he's so stupid and reckless that he ends up hurting himself as much as--or more than--his intended target, which kind of mitigates the ill will you can hold for him. He put a dirty hit on Tom Gilbert last year and missed more time on the hit than Gilbert did, so it's not as if he can go around laying one dirty hit after another after another like Patrick Kaleta or Shane Doan. He's more a spaz than someone who is outright malicious, I guess. To wit:

dan-carcillo-hits-jeff-carter-o.gif

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, I think it's a little much. The Blackhawks created some decent buzz, but let's not pretend that they singlehandedly saved the NHL here. People were looking for a story of the NHL succeeding in spite of itself and some team being good enough to make fans stifle their bad feelings about everything. If it hadn't been the Blackhawks, it would have been the Penguins or the Kings or the Red Wings or Bruins. Not the Canadiens, though, who are quietly having an amazing worst-to-first year, because Canada Doesn't Count.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Does anyone remember that article before the season about how the Lightning and Panthers, with their solid drafts of the past few seasons, were poised to take Florida hockey to heights never seen before? As in, both teams actually being in the playoffs and being contenders once they got there?

Because all I'm getting out of tonight's affair is that they are the bottom turds of the NHL, which is nothing new for either franchise.

EDIT - ah, here we go.

spacer.png

How come a hockey story can never just be about hockey simply because hockey is great?

It seems like some greater meaning always has to be attached to everything good that happens in hockey. Even the Miracle on Ice had the (probably overstated) narrative of a hockey team saving the country from Jimmy Carter.

PvO6ZWJ.png

How come a hockey story can never just be about hockey simply because hockey is great?

It seems like some greater meaning always has to be attached to everything good that happens in hockey. Even the Miracle on Ice had the (probably overstated) narrative of a hockey team saving the country from Jimmy Carter.

Which is why I didn't like comparing the Blackhawks and Heat, which was not just pointless for the reasons you mentioned, but also because they were two different things, a point, and a win streak.

Hockey needed this. The lockout was another gut-punch and the sport needed a story like the Blackhawks to revive fan interest. If salvaging at least part of the season has helped to save the sport then the Blackhawks forcing everyone to take notice of the league has continued the process.

OK, in retrospect that made the Blackhawks sound vaguely messianic but my point still stands.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Hockey needed this. The lockout was another gut-punch and the sport needed a story like the Blackhawks to revive fan interest. If salvaging at least part of the season has helped to save the sport then the Blackhawks forcing everyone to take notice of the league has continued the process.

OK, in retrospect that made the Blackhawks sound vaguely messianic but my point still stands.

No it didn't. It did none of these things.

Might it have piqued the interest of hockey fans in Chicago of forgiving the lockout or give national outlets something to talk about? Sure. But to say the Blackhawks streak revived hockey from the dead is ridiculous. (Especially considering attendance and ratings are up around the league, even from the start of the season. Not the Blackhawks doing.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I know hindsight is 20/20 but does any one else think that Edmonton wishes they took Seguin and Landeskog over Hall and Nugent-Hopkins?

I know I would. Hall is looking like he'll be a 70 point guy at best and Nugent-Hopkins is already becoming injury prone.

Don't forget, Hall is ridiculously injury prone. I think they should have picked Seguin in 2010, Larsson or Landeskog in 2011, and then Yakupov in 2012.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Mason Raymond had an absolutely stunning spin move to win it for the Canucks in the shootout. However, it was also illegal, given that he stopped and stepped back to pull it off.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived