The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

I don't like the deal for the Florida teams, but with Atlanta gone, they're screwed any way you cut the pie. Do you think they might have the Florida teams go out on extended road trips and then have extended home stands to compensate for the traveling expenses?

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) When seeing the link and McCarthy's reaction, I foolishly believed this was the end of the crisis in Phoenix, with the Coyodiques finally being relocated at the end of the season. The realignment? This would've been approved already in time for this season if not for the NHLPA. Furthermore, it's nice to know the Lightning and Panthers are being placed in the same division conference full of teams with actual legitimate history, while the Blackhawks and Rangers are left to fend for themselves as the sole proprietors of the Original Six in their own divisions conferences. Extra nice that all those teams are over a thousand miles away from Tampa and Sunrise, which is a better solution than having the Winnipeg Jets being the only team with travel problems (or, better yet, swapping Nashville and Winnipeg in the soon-to-be-erstwhile Eastern and Western Conferences).

2) Nice to know that this realignment is being done before the fate of the Phoenix franchise has been determined. The NHL would never jump the gun on anything.

3) When I click that link, the first thing I notice isn't the realignment headline. Rather, that would be the first headline on the right noting that Vincent Lecavalier is on IR with the ambiguous "lower-body injury", something I hadn't heard of until just then. You know, just when the Lightning season couldn't get any worse...

spacer.png

They're not getting rid of the Western and Eastern Conferences anymore -- unless they're just to be renamed The NHL and I Dunno Some Other Crap.

Actually, the Jets didn't have serious travel problems last year. They still had fewer air miles than a lot of Western teams.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't like the deal for the Florida teams, but with Atlanta gone, they're screwed any way you cut the pie. Do you think they might have the Florida teams go out on extended road trips and then have extended home stands to compensate for the traveling expenses?

Actually the Florida teams were placed where they were to help them out. They tend to draw better when they're hosting traditional northeastern and midwestern teams (lots of snow birds in Tampa and Miami after all). So of course they're placed in a division with four out of the six Original Six. It's a naked attempt to bolster attendance numbers, nothing more.

Glad to be in the Staal Brothers division.

On a serious note, I like having the Beej in our division. Not for the reasons you may think. PIT/CBJ games are always good ones, and I like having more opportunities to make a trip out there for a game.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

It'll be fun having the Canucks joining the Ducks in the Pronger Division, and Edmonton there should turn into quite the little rivalry, as well. I'm glad Dallas has been exiled to the Avery Division, never liked having them in the old Pacific.

I feel like Boston and Buffalo should be in Division D while Carolina and Columbus should be in Division C. Then Florida and Tampa have at least one other "southern" team with them. However doing that messes up the Boston/Montreal rivalry. I guess you could make an argument that the Panthers and Columbus should be flip-flopped for attendance purposes as well.

It seems there's no perfect solution. I just wish Detroit didn't have to move to the Eastern Conference.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Peter Karmanos was adamant that he be in the money division, and when Peter Karmanos talks, the league inexplicably, inexplicably, inexplicably listens.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Peter Karmanos was adamant that he be in the money division, and when Peter Karmanos talks, the league inexplicably, inexplicably, inexplicably listens.

I'm glad one of my quotes made it as your sig! :P

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

realign_img.jpg

It's funny how there's a blip for the Florida teams in the C-Division. Rather than stretch the C-Division downward to grab the northern-most D-Division teams, they circumvent around the Atlantic Ocean to get to Florida. What a joke.

This was explained like 4 posts above.

The northeastern teams are bigger draws in those two markets than the teams in the other eastern division.

Plus any added travel for Tampa and Miami will be fractions of what Detroit and Columbus and everybody else out west has had to travel. Not a joke.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If going from Southern California to the freakin' Yukon regularly is OK, then Florida teams can go to Ottawa.

Yellowknife got an expansion team? So that's how the league was going to balance out the divisions.....

Plus it knocks them down to one game (if I'm not mistaken) with the Rangers, which will become a standing-room-only affair.

It looks like the Florida teams will play the Rangers (and the rest of their D Division pals) three times a season, so some years they will host them twice.

Eastern Conference (8-team divisions)

Within Conference (Division): 30 games

* 5 games vs. two teams (3 Home/2 Away vs. one team, 2 Home/3 Away vs. one team) AND 4 games vs. five teams (2 Home/2 Away). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 5 X 2 =10 games

* 4 X 5 = 20 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 24 games

* 3 games vs. each team (2 Home/1 Away vs. four teams, 1 Home/2 Away vs. four teams). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 3 X 8 = 24 games

Non-Conference: 28 games

* 2 games vs. each team (1 Home/1 Away)

* 2 X 14 = 28 games

realign_img.jpg

It's funny how there's a blip for the Florida teams in the C-Division. Rather than stretch the C-Division downward to grab the northern-most D-Division teams, they circumvent around the Atlantic Ocean to get to Florida. What a joke.

This was explained like 4 posts above.

The northeastern teams are bigger draws in those two markets than the teams in the other eastern division.

Plus any added travel for Tampa and Miami will be fractions of what Detroit and Columbus and everybody else out west has had to travel. Not a joke.

Yeah...kinda realized it late by not reading IceCap and Admiral's posts first, on how this alignment will secretly help Florida's attendance issues.

Archived