The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can call us "Lumbus" or the "Beej" or whatever you want. I don't care.

It's just nice to be relevant at this point in the calendar.

I always viewed "Beej" as a term of endearment myself.

I've never taken offense to it. Who doesn't love a beej?

I think it's funny you guys are just now jumping on the beej thing. Maybe that's because Columbus as a city finished making BJ jokes in reference to the hockey team in 2003.

PvO6ZWJ.png

You can call us "Lumbus" or the "Beej" or whatever you want. I don't care.

It's just nice to be relevant at this point in the calendar.

I always viewed "Beej" as a term of endearment myself.

I've never taken offense to it. Who doesn't love a beej?

I think it's funny you guys are just now jumping on the beej thing. Maybe that's because Columbus as a city finished making BJ jokes in reference to the hockey team in 2003.

Honestly it's because for the longest time this team was just another bad team, like the NHL's equivalent of white noise. They didn't really enter the consciousness of the wider hockey fandom until a few years ago when we all realized that, holy crap, this team has been historically bad for a while. And now they're turning a corner so they're even more notable.

It's actually funny, because I was listening to BASS tonight (and seriously considered calling in at some point, but never mustered up the complete nerve to do so), and the last thing I heard was that the "Jackets are gonna lose", since it was 3-2 Avs with about two minutes to play. Then my feed went dead.

It actually makes me wonder what kind of delay there is, if any, because the score was definitely 3-3 at the time I heard that comment. I also remember an earlier update saying 2-1 CBJ when it was definitely 2-2 at the time (and had been for several minutes). It was weird, because CS made a comment about the Blackhawks winning at the exact moment that game went final, so I don't know.

(I'll also have to make sure I have Ustream set up better next time. I got ads about every 13 minutes, and damned if it didn't start to really piss me off.)

With regard to any delay - it all depends on, where you are, which game you're watching or listening to, which system you're watching on (Direct TV, TW, Comcast, internet feed etc.) the network (Fox, ROOT, etc.) because each can be different. Some may have longer delays than others, bounce off different satellite feeds etc. 9 times out of 10, you aren't seeing or hearing things exactly when they happen. For example: I have both Direct TV and TW Cable in my house. If you tune in to the same game, they can be as much as a minute or so apart in what's happening. Now add all that to listening to a streamed show off the internet at the same time and you get the idea.

Anyway, that's probably why you were seeing things before we were announcing them on the show.

EDIT: Also, shortly after Andy said "Columbus is gonna lose" I think I said "wait, it's 3-3." My NHL.com page was actually a few seconds ahead of what we were listening to.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

The Islanders are cheap, when they open their wallets the presidents have cobwebs on them.

Hey Tank, they're the Islanders, not the Catskillsers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Looks like next year will be a banner year for outdoor games:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hockey/post/_/id/12874/rangers-devils-and-isles-to-play-in-bronx

Highlights:

• Winter Classic 1/1/14, Red Wings vs. Maple Leafs at the Big House
  • Two (!) games at Yankee Stadium, Rangers/Islanders and Rangers/Devils
  • Chicago will host a game at Soldier Field
  • Vancouver hosts a game at BC Place
  • Ducks/Kings (!) at Dodger Stadium (?!)

Anybody know off-hand what the average LA temperature is in January?

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Sooo... um... according to TSN... sigh... the NHL is getting prepared to announce the "Stadium Series" starting next season with six (yes. S-I-X. SIX.) outdoor games:

1/1 - Maple Leafs vs Red Wings at the Big House

1/25 - Ducks vs Kings at Dodger Stadium

1/26 - Devils vs Rangers at Yankee Stadium

1/29 - Islanders vs Rangers at Yankee Stadium (no. not a typo. twice.)

3/1 - Penguins vs Blackhawks at Soldier Field

3/2 - Senators vs Canucks at BC Place

...this is why we can't have nice things, NHL. You break them.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Sooo... um... according to TSN... sigh... the NHL is getting prepared to announce the "Stadium Series" starting next season with six (yes. S-I-X. SIX.) outdoor games:

Wait. A. Minute. You've been griping about LA being stiffed out of an outdoor NHL game, now you're getting one and you're still complaining? You SoCal folks are damn fickle.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Wait. A. Minute. You've been griping about LA being stiffed out of an outdoor NHL game, now you're getting one and you're still complaining? You SoCal folks are damn fickle.

What? No. I'm fine with a game in LA with Ducks/Kings. I'll go and it should be fun.

My complaints are SIX :censored: ING OUTDOOR GAMES, including TWO AT THE SAME STADIUM. If it was just two, or even the initially rumored three, fine. But six outdoor games is absurd.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Six is a good number.

I think it's clear what the NHL is doing here. The league is making a preemptive strike by making the outdoor games more of a local event, rather than a national one. Eventually the novelty of the Winter Classic would have worn off, and the disconnect between the cities that don't get the outdoor games would get bigger. They're looking at multiple spikes in interest for multiple games, as opposed to one big spike for one game. I have no problem with it.

Six is a good number.

I think it's clear what the NHL is doing here. The league is making a preemptive strike by making the outdoor games more of a local event, rather than a national one. Eventually the novelty of the Winter Classic would have worn off, and the disconnect between the cities that don't get the outdoor games would get bigger. They're looking at multiple spikes in interest for multiple games, as opposed to one big spike for one game. I have no problem with it.

Three words: "familiarity breeds contempt".

The novelty factor was what made the Winter Classic work. This isn't a novelty.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived