I don't know, I think every professional soccer club in the United States is to a certain extent "counter-cultural". Not sure there's a lot of room to either side.

Still, they seem halfway to what I think you're suggesting, with their tryouts in all five boroughs and the local academies. If Red Bull and NYCFC buy players and the Cosmos groom theirs, isn't that a good separation?

Red Bull has one of the best academy systems in the country so I think they will also be grooming their players in the near future if they can get them to stay. Also the Cosmos aren't going to be grooming all of their players, most likely, as they will still be buying some more Ayoze's & Senna's in the future.

By the way is there any information on Sela Sport available anywhere? I am trying to get a handle on how much money these people have to try and predict what their future rosters may look like. All I know is that they sponsor the Saudi League & National Team.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I just don't see what you're driving at with the Red Bulls being seen as some 800 lb gorilla, but no matter.

I am basically operating on solely caffeine so I apologize for my lack of clarity.

Also I am guessing you do not know much about Sela Sport either?

Does anyone really think of MLS clubs as "big money"?

I think the Cosmos's best bet is to establish themselves as a people's club, a club interested in fostering and supporting the city's soccer culture. A club that looks within the five boroughs for talent, a club that has a stake in the adult amateur local scene as well as youth soccer. A club that seeks out and builds relationships with soccer pubs.

In other words, pretty much what they've done since 2010. Hasn't been perfect in the execution, and there have been missteps, but on the whole the strategy has been very, very good.

What I mean by big money I usually mean in comparison to the other clubs in the country. In that case I would consider teams like the Galaxy & Red Bulls to be big money and I am pretty sure others see those two clubs in the same light.

If I would draw up comparisons to the NBA, the Galaxy are the Lakers, the Red Bulls are the Knicks, and D.C. United are the Celtics. Those are my big draw teams for Major League Soccer.

The more and more that comes out about how the Dempsey transfer went down, the more and more upset I am at the whole situation. Ugh.

You and me both seeing as he apparently listed Toronto as one of the teams he would have played for.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The MLS is so weird. Its highest-drawing team nearly doubles the attendance of the next team. With the exception of Chivas, all of the other teams are doing okay -- around three quarters to just about at-capacity, hovering around 15-20,000 a game. Those are pretty good attendance numbers, but they haven't translated into money or television ratings and it's going to take a long time to get there.

While I can understand the frustration from fans of other teams, there is some benefit to having the most visible American-born player in the league's most successful (attendance-wise) market. When you watch Sounders home games, you see American soccer at its best -- the occasion NFL-sized crowd rooting for a generally good team. Dempsey makes it better.

The soccer-specific stadia being built won't and shouldn't match Century Link's capacity. However, they can work hard to match attendance. 20,000 fans in LA for Galaxy games is good, but less so when the capacity is 27,000. I think the Dempsey signing is an example of the right financial support being there from the Sounders front office, as well as the MLS rewarding Seattle for showing the best of its brand.

And selfishly, I hope the Dempsey signing translates into on-the-field improvements this season; I just bought tickets for the Sounders/Red Bull match (to be aired on ESPN in late September).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yeah, except the Red Bulls don't exactly draw.

Maybe they're a marquee team to play for, but that will very possibly change when there's a real New York team.

Agreed but the problem with NYCFC is going to Sheikh Mansour & his family's running of the UAE government.

Ever since that notorious Guardian article I have been looking more closely into the UAE and learning about the case the article talking about and everything else connected to the UAE government and human rights. I have to say that it is making me very uncomfortable to the point that I am starting to reconsider whether or not I want to be a fan of NYCFC. I am sure a lot of other fans are going to have the same weariness that I am going to have (especially considering the young demographic the MLS is trying to court it makes things worse).

The more and more that comes out about how the Dempsey transfer went down, the more and more upset I am at the whole situation. Ugh.

You and me both seeing as he apparently listed Toronto as one of the teams he would have played for.

It all comes down to transparency. Some of the rules are very stupid, like the allocation order for USMNT players, the random drafts/lotteries that not everyone participates in, its all very clouded. But TELL US. Its gotta be frustrating for a Portland Timbers fan whose team is at the top of the allocation order only to be told that this guy doesnt have to go through the allocation order cause he's a DP, where does it say that? Nowhere. In fact, this article by Steven Goff nails it all:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2013/08/05/clint-dempsey-signing-demonstrates-mlss-growth-and-immaturity/

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I'm having trouble finding details, but Miami supposedly had less than good attendance for the games they hosted today. No idea if that will have any impact on the Beckham/Miami/MLS plans. I believe there are more games tomorrow as well.O

One could buy tickets for tonight's session, tomorrow's, or both.

Keep in mind that Dolphins/Sun Life Stadium owner Steven Ross owns this tournament and they are already planning for 2014.

Yeah, except the Red Bulls don't exactly draw.

Maybe they're a marquee team to play for, but that will very possibly change when there's a real New York team.

Who will that be? NYCFC?

Short term yes, although I wouldn't yet count out the Cosmos as an option down the road.

Barring a stunning level of incompetence out of the Bronx, or a sudden (and belated) realization that the owners of Man City are evil, evil men, this can't help but take a bite out of the Red Bulls' cache for international players.

Short term yes, although I wouldn't yet count out the Cosmos as an option down the road.

Barring a stunning level of incompetence out of the Bronx, or a sudden (and belated) realization that the owners of Man City are evil, evil men, this can't help but take a bite out of the Red Bulls' cache for international players.

If Christine Quinn (a lesbian & front runner for the Democratic Nomination) becomes the next NYC mayor then NYCFC can have a difficult challenge for a stadium seeing as the UAE isn't exactly kind to homosexuals. The only hitch with NYCFC (besides the aforementioned Man City owners) is the fact that they have concrete plans for a stadium to call its own.

You mean they don't have concrete plans? There's less certainty now than before the team was awarded.

And I think you'll find all of the Democratic candidates are equally in favor of gay rights; you don't have to be gay. Ironically, Quinn is more a corporatist than anything else; she's the most likely amongst them to favor steering taxpayer finds to corporate interests.

You mean they don't have concrete plans? There's less certainty now than before the team was awarded.

And I think you'll find all of the Democratic candidates are equally in favor of gay rights; you don't have to be gay. Ironically, Quinn is more a corporatist than anything else; she's the most likely amongst them to favor steering taxpayer finds to corporate interests.

I mean that they don't have concrete plans so thanks for correcting me.

Yes that is true but I mentioned her since she is the front runner and the issue of LGBT rights will hit home more for her since she is a lesbian.

Archived