Miami Dolphins Concept - 9erssteve

9erssteve

Well with the official announcement that the Dolphins will reveal their new logo before the draft I thought I'd better post this before I miss the boat, and the real one is out there and no one cares about concepts anymore.

There's been plenty talk about the new logo being based on the very simple stadium logo that's existed for a few years now. My thought process was to try and find a middle ground between it and the current logo, which while cartoony is far more realistic than the stadium logo.

I dropped the Navy from the colour pallette and replaced it with current Nike colour of the month Anthracite. I did this for two reasons, first off it's only a matter of time until Nike starts applying it everywhere anyway, as they did at the college level, and secondly it means I can do an alternate uniform that isn't visible from space! Sorry I've never been a fan of the orange jerseys! Plus of all the teams out there, a grey seemed most fitting for the Dolphins, as Dolphins are grey in reality. The rest of the colours I've shifted back to their more classic hues.

As always C&C's appreciated, hope you like it. Jersey's and logotype may follow in a few weeks once my home computer is up and running again... if I haven't been distracted by another project that is!

9erssteve

DolphinsConcept_zps23ff729e.png

9ersstevesig.png

Logo is very beautiful, but it does look too whale-like for a Dolphins logo. Especially with that dark greyish blue that you now used as the main color.

Dolphins have pointier jaws, and really small eyes connected to a curvy-shaped facial feature. Just a couple of points to help you out. ;)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_uTQEu14v9cM/TLSuhX5QN6I/AAAAAAAAABg/zkmS74THHqU/s1600/dolphin+week+8.jpg

I feel like the sun is to little & thick plus as habsfan said it looks too much like a whale.

Also I would us a lighter color than the almost black anthracite or we will never see the alternate uniform because Miami won't wear teal as it is now.

I think it would also help take it away from the whale look as well.

Logo is very beautiful, but it does look too whale-like for a Dolphins logo. Especially with that dark greyish blue that you now used as the main color.

Dolphins have pointier jaws, and really small eyes connected to a curvy-shaped facial feature. Just a couple of points to help you out. ;)

http://4.bp.blogspot...phin week 8.jpg

Specifically, it looks like an Orca whale, which taxonomically is actually a species of ..... dolphin.

Take a look. Orcas are much more "dolphiny" than actual whales. True whales are very bloaty and look all slow and lethargic. Orcas swim around all fast and are like, "bitch, I'm awesome," while whales are just like, "brwumblebummmmmaawaaaaahgggggg...."

killerwhales.jpghumpback-whale.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Ok I'm not the type of person who draws what he "thinks" a creature looks like I actually enjoy doing the research and firmly believe it makes a logo stronger. With that said a logo doesn't have to be 100% anatomically acurate there is and should always be room for artistic license or stylistic adjustment. So while I accept it's not 100% perfect as a dolphin I'm not seeing the "whale" that everyone else does. Hence the over lay below, which despite the fact that the angles dont match perfectly I think shows it's pretty accurate as far as dolphins go and is certainly more anatomically correct than the "banana in a football helmet" that is the current Dolphins logo.

Thanks for the feedback though it's always good to get others opinions and I may go back and look at tweaking things a little next week.

9erssteve

dolphin_comparison.jpg

9ersstevesig.png

So while I accept it's not 100% perfect as a dolphin I'm not seeing the "whale" that everyone else does. Hence the over lay below, which despite the fact that the angles dont match perfectly I think shows it's pretty accurate as far as dolphins go...

It's the eye. Replace the white blob with a smaller dot, and that should make a huge difference.

Well with the official announcement that the Dolphins will reveal their new logo before the draft I thought I'd better post this before I miss the boat, and the real one is out there and no one cares about concepts anymore.

There's been plenty talk about the new logo being based on the very simple stadium logo that's existed for a few years now. My thought process was to try and find a middle ground between it and the current logo, which while cartoony is far more realistic than the stadium logo.

I dropped the Navy from the colour pallette and replaced it with current Nike colour of the month Anthracite. I did this for two reasons, first off it's only a matter of time until Nike starts applying it everywhere anyway, as they did at the college level, and secondly it means I can do an alternate uniform that isn't visible from space! Sorry I've never been a fan of the orange jerseys! Plus of all the teams out there, a grey seemed most fitting for the Dolphins, as Dolphins are grey in reality. The rest of the colours I've shifted back to their more classic hues.

As always C&C's appreciated, hope you like it. Jersey's and logotype may follow in a few weeks once my home computer is up and running again... if I haven't been distracted by another project that is!

9erssteve

DolphinsConcept_zps23ff729e.png

I think it's the navy blue that is causing a "orca whale" effect, not your line work - just for giggles, change the navy to a darker teal, or switch the current teal and navy

canada.png

Between the big white eye and the near-black top/white belly I think people are so accustomed to thinking shamu/sea world orca whale that even if the shape is more dolphin line, its just not translating as such. f course there are black dolphins and especially gray ones, but agree with the above posters, i think changing the color to a more tealish and making the eye smaller would just translate the image better as dolphins. I think thats something to really consider when designing a logo whether or not its 100% anatomicly accurate.

Another thing thats making it look whale-y is the fin.. i think it should be more triangle (like the "left" fin thats in teal) The part that is really round up by the "shoulder" and sorta creates an elbow-like effect resembles the really wide fins of that humpback whale than the dolphin pic

I also think that the bottom part (that is currently teal) should be darker than the top part. Thats the underside, background, shadow or whatever and I think i think making it darker would help show that

Finally, if you look at the dolphin picture you posted and the old dolphins logo, the fins should be open more, as if they are on the open end of clapping. The ones you have now seem to be just dangling there

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

this is a really strong concept that with a few tweaks can polish it off nicely. im going to repeat some tings that have been said already but . . .

its mostly proportion and size. the sun is just a bit too thick. i would make it slightly larger (look at the left where the curve of the sun meets the white line on the back of the dolphin; you need to create more space there, more orange. just get rid of the tangent) and the inside circle (negative space) should be larger as well.

the size of the fins is also off. because they're so large, it looks like a baby dolphin, and the very rounded curves dont help it much in that regard either. study those fins a bit more, they should be more of a triangle. the eye needs to be redone if only to get rid of that tangent there too, but it has a very Orca like pattern anyway. the tail shape suffers from the same thing as the fins, the shape just isnt right.

i dont mind the colors. the green and orange are very good and the dark grey works as well.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I like the thick sun. It was a long time before I even knew that the Dolphins logo included a sun; I did not really know what that was supposed to be. I think this helps.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The color switch is a downgrade from your first logo IMO. I would also echo all the things BrandMooreArt said and add that I think the front fins need to be farther up the body. If you look at the old dolphins logo along with the reference picture you posted, you'll notice that the dorsal fin is farther back on the body than the other fins. Your logo as the front fins directly below the dorsal and it's looking a bit off. Now I will admit that I haven't studied dolphins so maybe on some dolphins it is this way.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay thanks for all the feedback. I've had a chance to go back and make some amends and think it's progressed a fair bit but would love to know what you all think.

I've done some reworking of the shape, and decided to stick with the current shades the Dolphins use, rather than go to the lighter throw back colours which I did in the first versions, as I feel they sit better with the anthracite (grey) which I've used to replace the navy.

Version2presentation.png

Thanks for viewing.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

• 5 weeks later...

I think the main issue is caused by the white space between the back and tummy of dolphin.

It looks too big and seems to create 2 creatures instead of a multicoloured one. I'd also be curious to see a monochrome version.

I hope they keep navy blue as one of their colours.

I also think the sun is too small behind, and the alignment of it makes it awkward to me as I am s sucker for symmetry.

That being said, I REALLY like your overall treatment, as a Dolphins fan, I would buy it...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Archived