MLB Fight Songs - Seriously what were they thinking?!?!

NDFreek

It's not really a fight song, but the Braves warrior chant sucks for two equal reasons:

1) It's completely unoriginal. They ripped it from a collegiate football team.

2) The collegiate football team they ripped it from is Florida State.

Obviously #2 is biased from my POV, but either way, it's not clever, amusing, or fearful. And the act is even worse with those foam tomahawks they hand to fans for important games (although I faintly recall having one of those things when I was in my younger years - I cannot remember what happened to it).

spacer.png

I don't know if they still use it, but the Pirates introduced this song when they opened PNC Park in 2001:

They also used an instrumental version to open radio broadcasts back when I was a Pitt student.

They still use it, but there's an older one that they don't. it went something like "this is a Pirates town" but I can't find it anywhere

1zgyd8w.jpg

It's not really a fight song, but the Braves warrior chant sucks

FALSE. The war chant is awesome. Then again, I romanticize pretty much anything associated with the glory days of the Braves on TBS because Man That's Just Baseball Man.

I liked the time the Braves won a game that the Cubs needed to clinch the division, and when the score came up, everyone at Wrigley did the war chant.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's not really a fight song, but the Braves warrior chant sucks for two equal reasons:

1) It's completely unoriginal. They ripped it from a collegiate football team.

2) The collegiate football team they ripped it from is Florida State.

Obviously #2 is biased from my POV, but either way, it's not clever, amusing, or fearful. And the act is even worse with those foam tomahawks they hand to fans for important games (although I faintly recall having one of those things when I was in my younger years - I cannot remember what happened to it).

Um, there was that one guy who played for FSU that brought the tomahawk chop to the Braves. I wouldn't really call that "ripping it off."

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

It is not the worst song for the Nationals

Story time.

Before the Nationals came to town, there were a few rallies in support of the new ballpark project that would bring the Expos to DC. At one of these events, former PA announcer Charlie Brotman took the stage and in addressing the crowd, launched into an acapella version of the self-written "Nuts About The Nats". I think he really thought it would get everyone fired up and explode in applause. Instead, people looked around the room uncomfortably for about 2 minutes, waiting for the auditory awkwardness to end. That was followed by some tepid clapping. I felt bad for the guy because he clearly put his heart into the thing, but it really was truly horrendous.

I don't know if they still use it, but the Pirates introduced this song when they opened PNC Park in 2001:

They also used an instrumental version to open radio broadcasts back when I was a Pitt student.

They still use it, but there's an older one that they don't. it went something like "this is a Pirates town" but I can't find it anywhere

I consider this their unofficial fight song now. I loved that one though. You're right that they still use it. During TV broadcasts though, you hear this more often.

The Cubs used to open their radio broadcasts with this. They replaced it with an aw-yeah-rawkin' rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," which they in turn replaced with like I dunno :censored:in' OAR or something. They used it in 2004, the summer after I graduated from high school and a time of ingesting a great deal of Cubs radio, so it gives me the warm and fuzzies big time. I know it's really hokey, but that's the fun. I mean, I can't be a badass all the time. B)

The only thing that would make it better would be if it went like the opening of the Ned Flanders short subject:

Singer: Everybody loves the Cubs, ev-ry-body loves the Cubs....

Sox fan: NOT ME.

Singer: Everybody who counts loves the Cubs...

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

My first experience as a sports fan of one of my teams in the postseason was the 1996 Cardinals NL Central Championship.

We got to hear this gem on the radio everyday for a few months (not a fight song, but terrible):

That is painful!

sport-scarf_reds_zpsbb317600.png

Archived