2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

rvrdgsfn

Tell me again why Cup drivers, driving cars prepared in and by their Cup teams, is good for the Nationwide series?

Because watching a series full of Stephan Wallace's and Jeffery Earnhardt without the Cup guys is just the ARCA series and very few (me) watch that. Because without the big name Cup drivers, you have nobodies, a few "prospects" and a bunch of old guys... not interesting at all and NASCAR knows that. I don't know where this idea that the Nationwide Series is a developmental league came from, but from the beginning Cup drivers have been racing in it. Dale Earnhardt, DW, Bobby Allison, etc. And the drivers who became Cup drivers and drove against them, said they learned racing against the best. If you can't beat the best, then you'll never know what it is to succeed. I'm sorry to say this, but competing against nobodies, just makes you a prospect and prospects get people fired! If a young driver can't beat Kyle Busch etc in the Nationwide Series, why do you think he's going to beat them in the Cup Series? David Gilliland got his shot at Cup because he beat Cup guys at Kentucky. Do the names Carl Edwards, Kevin Harvick, Clint Bowyer, and Denny Hamlin ring a bell? Oh and Kyle was in that race too.

Darrell Waltrip always pontificates on twitter that "Back in the day, Cup drivers drove in the then Busch series." What he doesn't tell anyone is that he drove his OWN equipment, not that of his Cup team. This new trend of Cup drivers running Cup team equipment is relatively new, and frankly, it isn't good for the series.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell me again why Cup drivers, driving cars prepared in and by their Cup teams, is good for the Nationwide series?

Because watching a series full of Stephan Wallace's and Jeffery Earnhardt without the Cup guys is just the ARCA series and very few (me) watch that. Because without the big name Cup drivers, you have nobodies, a few "prospects" and a bunch of old guys... not interesting at all and NASCAR knows that. I don't know where this idea that the Nationwide Series is a developmental league came from, but from the beginning Cup drivers have been racing in it. Dale Earnhardt, DW, Bobby Allison, etc. And the drivers who became Cup drivers and drove against them, said they learned racing against the best. If you can't beat the best, then you'll never know what it is to succeed. I'm sorry to say this, but competing against nobodies, just makes you a prospect and prospects get people fired! If a young driver can't beat Kyle Busch etc in the Nationwide Series, why do you think he's going to beat them in the Cup Series? David Gilliland got his shot at Cup because he beat Cup guys at Kentucky. Do the names Carl Edwards, Kevin Harvick, Clint Bowyer, and Denny Hamlin ring a bell? Oh and Kyle was in that race too.

Darrell Waltrip always pontificates on twitter that "Back in the day, Cup drivers drove in the then Busch series." What he doesn't tell anyone is that he drove his OWN equipment, not that of his Cup team. This new trend of Cup drivers running Cup team equipment is relatively new, and frankly, it isn't good for the series.

That's the point I made yesterday, more or less

Good. I didn't like him that much anyway. At first I thought it was Marty SMITH, ESPNs lead reporter along with Craven.

Even better it means a new Indy car on ABC/Indy 500 voice!!! Thank god!!!!

It won't be Dr. Jerry Punch. He doesn't want to do play-by-play any longer, plus 99.9% of the drivers LOVE talking with him.

I think Marty Reid is nothing more then the scapegoat in this situation. Using the gaffe with the white flag as the "point of firing" seems rather fishy. ESPN thought might as well start somewhere since the NASCAR section will be nothing after Homestead-Miami this November.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

I think Marty Reid is nothing more then the scapegoat in this situation. Using the gaffe with the white flag as the "point of firing" seems rather fishy. ESPN thought might as well start somewhere since the NASCAR section will be nothing after Homestead-Miami this November.

They have a year left on the NASCAR contract. Personally, I think he did have one gaff too many, but I suspect he'll turn up on NBC next year

They have a year left on the NASCAR contract. Personally, I think he did have one gaff too many, but I suspect he'll turn up on NBC next year

I'm rooting for NBC to pick up Bestwick, Jarrett, and Petree, and maybe pick up Nicole Briscoe, Evernham, and if they're willing, Daughtery and Wallace (my least favorites from ESPN). I could see them going after Reid, but I hope not.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I'm rooting for NBC to pick up Bestwick, Jarrett, and Petree, and maybe pick up Nicole Briscoe, Evernham, and if they're willing, Daughtery and Wallace (my least favorites from ESPN). I could see them going after Reid, but I hope not.

I only hope they pick best wick and have Ricky craven and sonebody else new, Jeff burton maybe?

Both ESPN and Turner are looking to get out of their final year of their respective contracts before February. Neither want to promote a product for a which they are losing.

Both ESPN and Turner are looking to get out of their final year of their respective contracts before February. Neither want to promote a product for a which they are losing.

Those "reports" are false. NASCAR has stated nothing has changed. Most of the rumors about it are coming from Bruton Smith, owner of several tracks and not pleased with NASCAR's ISC.

I can see NBC and FOX dividing ESPN's people amongst themselves; although I think NBC would tap Bestwick to the lap-by-lap announcer (since he was theirs previously). Ricky Craven would be new Wally Dallenbach in the booth, and maybe Andy Petree.

FOX: Mike Joy, Larry McReynolds and Darrell Waltrip

NBC: Allen Bestwick, Ricky Craven/Wally Dallenbach (?), and Andy Petree (?)

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Those "reports" are false. NASCAR has stated nothing has changed. Most of the rumors about it are coming from Bruton Smith, owner of several tracks and not pleased with NASCAR's ISC.

Hence why I used the work "looking".

And I did not even look at the comments from Smith since I used John Ourand and the SBJ.

I can see NBC and FOX dividing ESPN's people amongst themselves; although I think NBC would tap Bestwick to the lap-by-lap announcer (since he was theirs previously). Ricky Craven would be new Wally Dallenbach in the booth, and maybe Andy Petree.

FOX: Mike Joy, Larry McReynolds and Darrell Waltrip

NBC: Allen Bestwick, Ricky Craven/Wally Dallenbach (?), and Andy Petree (?)

*Insert Steve Carrell "NO NO NO PLEASE NO gif*

I can't stand Wally. He is probably the worst announcer NASCAR has ever had.

While we are on the topic of "Announcer Realignment", and this is completely speculation, but has anyone ever thought how MRN's people would do on TV?

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

And I did not even look at the comments from Smith since I used John Ourand and the SBJ.

That's couple of months ago. This afternoon NASCAR and the reporters on Twitter have ALL been saying nothing's changed.

I can see Marty Reid replacing Adam Alexander next year on TNT. Well, I can hope.

That's couple of months ago. This afternoon NASCAR and the reporters on Twitter have ALL been saying nothing's changed.

Because they have something called on-going negotiations, none of which the reporters are in on and that NASCAR (a private company) does not need to comment on. This is not like bringing back a pair of jeans since this is a multi-million dollar deal for even the final year. ESPN has seen lower ratings for a while and have a hard time monetizing the current ad inventory, less anything for 2014.

Archived