2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

rvrdgsfn

NASCAR upset about teams trying to affect the outcome of a race is like the pot calling the kettle black. How many times does NASCAR throw a "debris" caution when a driver is running away with a race, yet the television crew can't find or doesn't show any debris on the track? I'm not a fan of either situation, but they brought it on themselves with the way the Chase works.

I'm still not a fan of the chase format. If a driver is racing well enough all season to earn a massive points advantage, he deserves to be rewarded for that. If he can clinch the championship with 5 races to go or more, more power to him!

I've almost stopped watching Nascar completely, but I find myself checking out the race a little bit almost every week. It's getting so dull and something needs to be done to make the racing more exciting. I enjoy the Nationwide and Truck series a lot more because they're trying new things; more road course races, truck race at Eldora, but Cup is just a snoozer. 500 mile races on a 1.5 mile cookie cutter track gets boring real fast.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goodbye, Montoya: Juan Pablo Montoya will leave NASCAR (as did former teammate Dario Franchitti) to go back to the IndyCar Series to race full-time under Roger Penske instead of Chip Ganassi. I wonder if there was a bit of bad blood between JPM and Chip that led to him going to Penske's IRL team?

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

This is a rumor going around about the 2014 schedule. Take this with a grain of salt... A huge grain.... via Jayski

--Homestead might lose its spot as the season finale;
-- Phoenix might gain the final spot on the 2014 tour;
-- Sonoma could earn a spot in the playoffs, adding a California stop to the chase;
-- Road America, that picturesque road course at Elkhart Lake, Wis., an hour north of Milwaukee, could get a slot in the 2014 Cup schedule (even though NASCAR's Brian France earlier this year said he planned no new tracks on the tour next season);
-- how to fit a new track in the schedule? Dover could lose its late spring Cup weekend (keeping its early fall Cup date, in the chase), track boss Denis McGlynn, not unaccustomed to such speculation, would surely fight hard to keep both;
-- and -- hold your horses -- Darlington might even get its traditional Labor Day weekend Southern 500 back; to fill that Mother's Day Saturday night slot, maybe a swap with Atlanta

baltimoreravens.png

To me, mother's day just wouldn't be the same without Darlington :) Whenever I think of Darlington, I think of Mother's Day Weekend. I don't have a good memory with Atlanta because of a person who dated my brother that grew up near Atlanta (bad experience for the entire family all together, that's another story).

I would love to see Sonoma and Road America gain spots. If anything, a Pocono race would be my first choice to remove, maybe the June race. Then you could swap the Iowa(?) NNS race with their Road America to have a Double Header at RA.

Finally, if Phoenix does become that last race, would that eliminate Homestead entirely from the schedule and put Sonoma at #9 before the finale? That has the potential to shakeup the points ENTIRELY heading into Phoenix.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Goodbye, Montoya: Juan Pablo Montoya will leave NASCAR (as did former teammate Dario Franchitti) to go back to the IndyCar Series to race full-time under Roger Penske instead of Chip Ganassi. I wonder if there was a bit of bad blood between JPM and Chip that led to him going to Penske's IRL team?

And the Jet Dryers go, "Yeah!"

To me, mother's day just wouldn't be the same without Darlington :) Whenever I think of Darlington, I think of Mother's Day Weekend. I don't have a good memory with Atlanta because of a person who dated my brother that grew up near Atlanta (bad experience for the entire family all together, that's another story).

I would love to see Sonoma and Road America gain spots. If anything, a Pocono race would be my first choice to remove, maybe the June race. Then you could swap the Iowa(?) NNS race with their Road America to have a Double Header at RA.

Finally, if Phoenix does become that last race, would that eliminate Homestead entirely from the schedule and put Sonoma at #9 before the finale? That has the potential to shakeup the points ENTIRELY heading into Phoenix.

On my Twitter feed, the "fans" were bitching more about the leaked #3 Cheeri-Os car of Austin Dillon than any potential shake up!

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

On my Twitter feed, the "fans" were bitching more about the leaked #3 Cheeri-Os car of Austin Dillon than any potential shake up!

You mean this?

New%203.jpg

I like it!

baltimoreravens.png

You mean this?

New%203.jpg

I like it!

tumblr_mao2jrI9Gi1qii6tmo1_500.gif

dhlJpvy.png
rxzieid.png

Oh.. I was basing my reply on probably people complaining it's not a black 3 car like the old days.

But yeah, I'm with you that the design leaves a lot to be desired.

I know Advocare switched to Bayne, but if they just moved that scheme up to Cup, or this

201322662934.jpg

then I would be fine with the 3, I don't care about the 3 racing, I care about a bad looking 3 racing.

dhlJpvy.png
rxzieid.png

I don't like the idea of a 3 car in the sprint cup that does not have the late Dale Earnhardt behind the wheel(not an Earnhardt fan, but I have always had tons of respect for the man). I also do not care for a bunch of no-name drivers wrecking the 43 car every single week and sullying the good name of Richard Petty. Yeah, its trivial and unimportant but it just rubs me the wrong way when I see iconic numbers that are associated with a great driver being represented by someone else.

I don't like the idea of a 3 car in the sprint cup that does not have the late Dale Earnhardt behind the wheel(not an Earnhardt fan, but I have always had tons of respect for the man). I also do not care for a bunch of no-name drivers wrecking the 43 car every single week and sullying the good name of Richard Petty. Yeah, its trivial and unimportant but it just rubs me the wrong way when I see iconic numbers that are associated with a great driver being represented by someone else.

I could be wrong, but Austin Dillon isn't someone that's going to be putting the "3" in the wall every week. I understand it's not the same seeing someone else drive an icon's car, but that's the way it goes. In ten years, you'll have someone else driving the "24" as well. Hell, one day you're gonna have someone driving the "88" and actually winning.

I have to agree with BayouJim. Eventually other drivers are going to use other famous numbers. Your going to see others drive numbers that most fans consider sacred, they can't do it forever. Now don't get me wrong, I was a fan of Senior until he died and will always have those great moments of him driving but its time to move on to the next generation & in all honesty I think Austin is the right driver for the job. Plus if numbers were retired, then NASCAR would be in the 100's by now.

Now that's out of the way, looks like Nationwide is dropping sponsorship in the series.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nationwide-end-series-title-sponsorship-143450303--nascar.html

NASCAR's Nationwide Series will have a new name after the 2014 season. The insurance company announced Wednesday that it will relinquish title sponsorship of the series after seven years but remain as an official NASCAR partner through 2017. It also will continue to develop marketing programs in the Sprint Cup Series.

baltimoreravens.png

For the record, the number 3 was NEVER Dale Earnhardt's! It was NASCAR's. Many others have raced using the number, including Richard Childress himself. I do not understand why people hold the number is such reverence. It's just a number. If someone else says, "Because Dale Sr drove it," I'm going to lose my mind. By saying "It was his number" as the reason why it shouldn't be back in NASCAR, it reducing him to "just the number." He was much more than that.

Oh, and as for the JJ stripes, just your racing history, Those rally stripes have been used for almost forever!

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Archived