2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

rvrdgsfn

From a espn.com article:

"NASCAR could prove only one action -- radio communication between Norris and Vickers in which a confused Vickers was told to pit as the field went green with three laps to go. The request was made in an effort to giveJoey Logano position on the track to pass Jeff Gordon in the standings and knock Gordon out of the Chase so that Truex could gain the wild card."

so i ask again why is gordon not in the chase if nascar CAN prove gordon was screwed over???? That is 100% proof NASCAR really messed up BIG time

Because the MWR guys were all penalized 50 points and the -50 knocked Truex back to 17th, everyone else just moved up. Nascar can't really put Gordon in without punishing Logano.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a espn.com article:

"NASCAR could prove only one action -- radio communication between Norris and Vickers in which a confused Vickers was told to pit as the field went green with three laps to go. The request was made in an effort to giveJoey Logano position on the track to pass Jeff Gordon in the standings and knock Gordon out of the Chase so that Truex could gain the wild card."

so i ask again why is gordon not in the chase if nascar CAN prove gordon was screwed over???? That is 100% proof NASCAR really messed up BIG time

Because the MWR guys were all penalized 50 points and the -50 knocked Truex back to 17th, everyone else just moved up. Nascar can't really put Gordon in without punishing Logano.

I understand that but NASCAR said they could only prove that they altered the outcome in a effort to get Gordon put out the top ten, NASCAR is playing god and it's about to blow up right in there face big time, I hope Gordon takes them out every race! I mean he already has beef with bowyer anyways.......

The damage has been done. It's over. Now if I were NASCAR, I would've taken Clint out of the chase, put Gordon in. I've said this before, but if Gordon wants to retaliate then he needs to be careful. Otherwise he'll be put on probation, which means he can't hit Bowyer again, and he may get fined and docked points, making this his worst points year.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Well, Nascar has a mess on their hands. I'd like to see exactly how Gilliland and Logano discussed the situation. Was it just a position? It'd be ignorant to say this is the first time this has happened.

Edit: As I expected, Logano finished 22nd, Gilliland finished 23rd. Looks like Fox is just looking for a story.

I feel like Gordon, no matter the circumstances, doesn't even deserve a chase spot. This year was awful for him. Kahne had twice as much bad luck, but still got into the chase. If Gordon had actually won and then got screwed out of the chase, then yes I would feel bad, but he just had a mediocre year all around.

I thought of another way the Chase could work: Take the Top 20 drivers (must be able to drive; Tony wouldn't count, 21st would be eligible) and go do an elimination type chase. Re-ordering would take place with no Wild Cards. After the first race, those who are 19th and 20th would be eliminated. Then would be 17th and 18th in the second race, 15th and 16th in the third, and so forth. Reseeding would not take place after each race, though. If a driver is Mathematically out, (can't make up ground but are still within the cutoff) then they too are eliminated. It would come down to two drivers in the final race (currently would be Kenseth and JJ). Thoughts?

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

From a espn.com article:

NASCAR is getting pelted with "Why isn't Gordon in?" questions from EVERYONE, from fans to reporters to even drivers - surprisingly not from Hendrick. They still haven't done enough, they know it, but can't do a damn thing about it now. They also know a chitstorm is going to happen at Chicagoland.

Also, 5 Hour Energy Tweeted that they were looking into their sponsorship internally.

Not just 5 Hour Energy is looking into this, NAPA is pretty upset too.

http://jalopnik.com/sponsors-super-pissed-at-michael-waltrip-racing-for-rig-1293175706

This was on NAPA's FB page

Dear Facebook Fans and the NAPA community,

The actions taken by Michael Waltrip’s Racing team this past weekend leading to the penalties assessed by NASCAR, are very concerning. We are disappointed that a partner associated with our organization would make such a significant error in judgment. In addition, we have launched our own review to determine the future of our partnership with Michael Waltrip’s Racing team. The NAPA AUTO PARTS organization is proud of its long-standing NASCAR relationship. We share a passion with our customers for high quality racing and seek to determine the best course of action for our customers, NASCAR fans, and the NAPA organization.

NAPA

My guess, MWR is gonna lose NAPA 5 hour may stick around, but anything is open game.

baltimoreravens.png

I thought of another way the Chase could work: Take the Top 20 drivers (must be able to drive; Tony wouldn't count, 21st would be eligible) and go do an elimination type chase. Re-ordering would take place with no Wild Cards. After the first race, those who are 19th and 20th would be eliminated. Then would be 17th and 18th in the second race, 15th and 16th in the third, and so forth. Reseeding would not take place after each race, though. If a driver is Mathematically out, (can't make up ground but are still within the cutoff) then they too are eliminated. It would come down to two drivers in the final race (currently would be Kenseth and JJ). Thoughts?

So you just copied the PGA Tour and the FedEx Cup

I feel like Gordon, no matter the circumstances, doesn't even deserve a chase spot. This year was awful for him. Kahne had twice as much bad luck, but still got into the chase. If Gordon had actually won and then got screwed out of the chase, then yes I would feel bad, but he just had a mediocre year all around.

Gordon's basically eliminated himself from all talk of returning to the chase. He's Tweeted words to it, and has moved on. But with the 50 pts penalties to each MWR team as precedent - over a "split second decision" - what does this 38/22 communication do? NASCAR opened Pandora's box Monday. They'll look hypocritical if they do nothing.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Gordon's basically eliminated himself from all talk of returning to the chase. He's Tweeted words to it, and has moved on. But with the 50 pts penalties to each MWR team as precedent - over a "split second decision" - what does this 38/22 communication do? NASCAR opened Pandora's box Monday. They'll look hypocritical if they do nothing.

lets have the final chase race this week and make it a 9 race chase ;) or wait for it............go back to the old points system style, then you dont have all this, just a thought............makes you wonder how many other Richmond last race before the chase races this was going on........

I disagree with this. He had the second best car at Sonoma and would have won had he not been screwed by that decision to throw the yellow for rain when he had essentially already committed to the pits (Kurt Busch was the best but screwed himself with two pit road speeding penalties). Bad luck at the Daytona night race when he had a shot at a really good finish and Kenseth collected him in a wreck. Collected a 39th place finish at Michigan earlier in the season when Bobby Labonte spun out and the two crossed paths. At least earlier in the season he seemed to have real bad luck with cautions flying while he was on pit road (Charlotte comes to mind). He had a dominant car at the first Bristol race and blew a tire. Mechanical failure when he was in the running to win Texas. And then... Richmond.

IUe6Hvh.png

I just wanna plug my ears, yell LALALALALA, sit in the corner of my room behind my Dale Sr. Standee in the basement, and rock back and forth until the Chicago race starts. AAAAAAAAAAGH!

@See Red

Well off the top of my head, Kahne got in trouble with Kyle Busch at the 500, Talladega, Darlington, had trouble on lap 1 at Pocono, Blew a tire at Michigan, got bumped by Johnson at Daytona, then taken out with 5 to go at the Glen, and finally rear ended Johnson after Gordon blew one of his many restarts at Atlanta. Almost every one of those he was in the top 10, and I know a hand full were in the lead or trying to take the lead. Kahne is in the chase because he won two races. Kahne earned that wild card for not rolling over when he experienced all sorts of issues. Jeff didn't have much luck, that's true. But what he did in the races where he wasn't taken out wasn't good enough.

Archived