Favorite NHL goalie mask this season?

Bayne

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like there's a lot more goalies who are buying into the "less is more" mantra. They really look good on TV, where the really small details may not translate very well.

Really like Scrivens' mask. Just find it a bit weird that they use both the regular leaf and the 35-point one.

tumblr_mdyo7aEunq1r1cbgpo1_500.jpg

Bobby Lou's and Price's masks these season have been great to look at (the simpler ones, of course). Maybe Ben Bishop's as well, but he's a Senator and the Sens suck. :hockeysmiley:

The mask I particularly loathe is Cam Ward's. Too much detail and it looks bad on TV.

cam+ward+mask.jpeg

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

I like the less is more mantra, but Scrivens' mask is a little too less. Looks unfinished.

I'm also not a huge fan of goalie masks using inverted logos like Price's. Better off to use it the right way around on one side and do something different on the other. Unless the logo is symmetrical of course.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

My favorite is still Nokolai Khabibulin's mask. I love how he's kept the same general theme going since Tampa. His Chicago masks are of course my favorite, but I love how he turned the Kremlin clock tower into an oil derrick with his move to Edmonton.

Doesn't hurt that he's my favorite active player, and 2nd favorite player of all time behind Ed Belfour.

I like Leighton's. It'd be better if it was just the logo on either side, but it's reasonably stripped down compared to Bryzgalov's abomination of a mask.

8094945311_f2c1d91e6f.jpg

Anders Lindback's got a decent one that echoes the uniform's stripes. Kind of cool, but as always it could be simplified further and further.

8457167750_74b5630e36.jpg

I'll give Fasth's some creativity points for being goddamn weird.

8440828781_a531e7131d.jpg

Dubnyk's retro style helmet's stood out.

8414115423_95a18d0ef8.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

My favorite is still Nokolai Khabibulin's mask. I love how he's kept the same general theme going since Tampa. His Chicago masks are of course my favorite, but I love how he turned the Kremlin clock tower into an oil derrick with his move to Edmonton.

Doesn't hurt that he's my favorite active player, and 2nd favorite player of all time behind Ed Belfour.

Yeah, I like it when goalies keep a similar theme going on their masks even when changing teams, modifying some details to fit the new city.

I love Scrivens' mask. It's been a while since a Leafs goalie had a simple, striking mask design that reflected the team's name.

Homerism aside Scrivens' mask design is right up my goalie mask aesthetic alley. Simple and distinct.

I love Scrivens' mask. It's been a while since a Leafs goalie had a simple, striking mask design that reflected the team's name.

Homerism aside Scrivens' mask design is right up my goalie mask aesthetic alley. Simple and distinct.

...à la Ken Dryden, Gerry Cheevers and co. Yep, nice masks.

Have to say I am enjoying this return to basic lines et less "small details that show only in magazines"

...à la Ken Dryden, Gerry Cheevers and co. Yep, nice masks.

Have to say I am enjoying this return to basic lines et less "small details that show only in magazines"

I agree. The overly complicated air brush trend ruined goalie mask design for a few years.

Archived