Favorite NHL goalie mask this season?

Bayne

tumblr_mdyo7aEunq1r1cbgpo1_500.jpg

I love Scrivens' mask. It's been a while since a Leafs goalie had a simple, striking mask design that reflected the team's name.

Homerism aside Scrivens' mask design is right up my goalie mask aesthetic alley. Simple and distinct.

...à la Ken Dryden, Gerry Cheevers and co. Yep, nice masks.

Have to say I am enjoying this return to basic lines et less "small details that show only in magazines"

I agree. The overly complicated air brush trend ruined goalie mask design for a few years.

I don't know if we're out of the woods yet. Quick look at daveart.com and most of the masks are overly detailed airbrushes. Boy, he sure does have a monopoly on NHL goalie mask design.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Scrivens' mask. It's been a while since a Leafs goalie had a simple, striking mask design that reflected the team's name.

Homerism aside Scrivens' mask design is right up my goalie mask aesthetic alley. Simple and distinct.

...à la Ken Dryden, Gerry Cheevers and co. Yep, nice masks.

Have to say I am enjoying this return to basic lines et less "small details that show only in magazines"

I agree. The overly complicated air brush trend ruined goalie mask design for a few years.

I don't know if we're out of the woods yet. Quick look at daveart.com and most of the masks are overly detailed airbrushes. Boy, he sure does have a monopoly on NHL goalie mask design.

True, but I think the pendulum is starting to swing the other way. Luongo, Scrivens, and Boucher have very striking and simple designs. Hopefully we see more and more of these in the coming years.

291-roberto_luongo_mask.jpg-normal.jpg?1321400350

I am a big fan of Luongo's mask this season

Absolutly.

For some reason, I am under the impression another Canucks goalie had this sort of graphics on his mask, (maybe in the 70's) , but cannot recall.

Curt Ridley

ridley.jpg

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Schneider was rocking the Ridley look last year too. It was sort of weird that Luongo came out with a retro throw back Ridley mask after Schneider was already wearing one.

Schneider-mask.jpg

Luongo's mask is a better looking mask though. The matte iconic look is so much more effective in game than the airbrushed "van-art" look that so many goalies go for.

:censored: there are so good looking masks this season. YES THIS SEASON, stop posting old masks! sheesh....

I'll weigh in on the Luongo mask....not a fan. Don't hate it, but I dunno. It doesn't seem fresh or exciting enough. Probably something to do with the old scroll paper tone he has going on like another one of his older masks. I preferred his mask last season.

Ray Emery's mask is very cool.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Seems like there's a lot more goalies who are buying into the "less is more" mantra. They really look good on TV, where the really small details may not translate very well.

Really like Scrivens' mask. Just find it a bit weird that they use both the regular leaf and the 35-point one.

Do you think this mask might have been designed around the fact that the Leafs were supposed to play in the Winter Classic this year?

girardi-1.png

lyip4wfi.pngzc9hmqq6.png

Thanks KaTo

Archived