Favorite NHL goalie mask this season?

Bayne

And speaking of Ducks goalies, the youtube video where Bryzgalov is describing his mask design is hilarious.

Well Philadelphia is making him almost as rich as Scrooge McDuck so he kind of got his wish. I really like a lot of the new designs this year but I hate seeing goalies like Price changing their masks every year (and having multiple masks each year). There really aren't any young goalies in the league with a classic mask design that you immediately think of when you hear their name (like Brodeur's or Belfour's).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There really aren't any young goalies in the league with a classic mask design that you immediately think of when you hear their name (like Brodeur's or Belfour's).

That's a good point. Just think of some the great (and good) goalies in the past 20 years or so who are so closely linked to their (relatively) unchanging mask designs: Brodeur, Belfour, Richter, Joseph, Vanbiesbrouck (with Florida), Potvin, and even Roy with Montreal and Colorado. (Come to think of it, I'd love to see an Avs version of Roy's Habs mask.)

I guess those are mostly 80s/90s goalies, eh? Maybe if the modern style masks had been developed earlier, the guys I listed would have started the trend of changing every year instead of the current generation...

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Well since this look like this has moved from this season to all time...

I was always a fan of Potvin's Vancouver mask:

potvin.jpg

And I also liked his Islanders mask:

potvin.jpg

One of my all time favorites though has got to be Corey Hirsch's first mask in his rookie season with the Canucks (1995-96):

the_seven_hollywood_movieinspired_goalie_masks_we_seriously_dig.jpg

This is by far my favorite!

m_21.jpg

m_11.jpg

The guy that wears this played for the Junior A team i work for.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Well since this look like this has moved from this season to all time...

I was always a fan of Potvin's Vancouver mask:

potvin.jpg

And I also liked his Islanders mask:

potvin.jpg

One of my all time favorites though has got to be Corey Hirsch's first mask in his rookie season with the Canucks (1995-96):

the_seven_hollywood_movieinspired_goalie_masks_we_seriously_dig.jpg

IMO....meh to all of them. Especially Hirsch.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The Hirsch "Psycho" mask was awesome

I know!!! It was a fantastic tribute to a classic movie.

As for the Potvin masks, while he hadn't really changed his design since his Toronto days, I am more of a fan of the colours and how well they worked with particular teams. He also made subtle changes to the design. While in Vancouver, he changed the eye design to a first nations design to reflect the Canucks whale logo and when he was in LA, the points on the design around the cheek/ear area of the mask were changed to look like the points on a crown as he was playing for the Kings. In my opinion, the subtle changes can make all the difference.

Potvin's Leafs mask and pad set was partly responsible for me becoming a goalie. That set was beautiful.

1339032769_zpsac896639.jpg

felix_zps8bcc211b.jpg

I agree, but the blue pads didn't look good at all with the Road jersey (at the time, folks). I hated the way that looked. Anyways here's my #1 mask:

que-fiset2.jpg

Stephane Fiset's second mask for the Nordiques (his 1st was a plain white one) worn during the 91-92 season. I love the simplicity of it, and the Fleur-De-Lis on the side make this mask even more beautiful. I liked the Igloo, but he should've used this as inspiration for all his masks.

sport-scarf_leafs_zps5f769288.png

seahawks_banner.png

Potvin's Leafs mask and pad set was partly responsible for me becoming a goalie. That set was beautiful.

felix_zps8bcc211b.jpg

I agree, but the blue pads didn't look good at all with the Road jersey (at the time, folks). I hated the way that looked.

I didn't mind the all blue look. It certainly worked better then his later black pads look.

felixpotvin2_zpsd8afd32a.jpg

"Mr. Universe" IIlya Bryzgalov's new Star Wars mask:

BEC8kJfCMAArfBQ.jpg

BEDAPZnCEAE3z7r.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

felix_zps8bcc211b.jpg

Potvin was probably my all time favorite look. The mask, the pads, I loved it all, and immediately went out and bought all new Koho equipment. I even liked the set that had the black in it.

The Red Wings Petr Mrazek. He was recently called up from the Grand Rapids Griffins to back up Jimmy Howard. Petr Griffin...

mrazek-mask-4_3_r541_c540.jpg?729ef1a5e3c69f5da0197e57e2bd3dd3fdfcd35f

Have you seen his Pads? The overall look when they wear their alternate jersey is out of this world:

tumblr_mhvyl8DAPY1rq2di2o1_500.jpg

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Archived