AHL Franchise Relocation News & Rumors

randyc

Reliant Arena would require a $3 million upgrade for an ice plant. So, no.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys make good points. Maybe the TJ Oshies and David Perrons of the Blues world would have lived up to their star hype instead of pretty good but frustrating players if the Blues had the depth to keep them in Peoria for a couple of years.

Anyways, the Blues have confirmed that they have agreed to sell the Rivermen to the Canucks, but are declining further comment until the AHL approval process is complete.

Interesting/horrifying scenario posited by Pass It To Bulis. Apparently the Canucks just tried to buy Abbotsford outright from the Flames, but that didn't work out, probably because Calgary's happy to stay put as long as Abby keeps on Glendaling itself. So if the Flames don't pack up for Utica, is it possible we'll see two AHL teams stuck out in British Columbia's meth belt come next season? I'm sure Chilliwack would welcome the return of a major tenant. and a chance to extra-ruin Abbotsford in the process.

Chilliwack is doing just fine with the BCHL. Leading the league in attendance, iirc. They place I could see the Canucks going would be Penticton. They already hold their rookie tournament there and the South Okanagon Events Center is newer and better equipped than Prospera Centre. Plus, I think the Rockets in Kelowna would be able to withstand an AHL team down the road better than the Bruins were able to.

we've only got 25,000 in this town in the winter, and the SOEC only holds around 3500-4000 or so. There's also an airport completely unserviced by any major airline, so as much as it would be fun to rub in the faces of Kelowna and Kamloops, it just isn't likely.

Victoria or Nanaimo?

edit: the soec holds 4701 for hockey, and supports the BCHL Vees very nicely. At $13 a pop, this town loves hockey. At 25-30 a pop, not sure; they call this part of BC the Broke-anagan for a reason.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The Abbotsford Heat and the Other BC Meth Town Team should have a two-team league and play each other every day, like when the Lake County Fielders played all their games against the Kenosha County Fielders. Costs will stay low, and precious tender Vancouver can scout the hell out of every game!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Cross-quoting from the 2013-14 NHL Uniform Changes thread:

Hamilton Bulldogs commentator Derek Wills announced tonight that the Houston Aeros will be moving to Des Moines, Iowa next season.

If that's legit, it means Peoria gets frozen out.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If this doesn't mean the Coyotes are moving to Houston, can this finally be the end of all the talk about how a giant sprawling warm-weather metropolis with all its northern transplants and rich people far from downtown is an absolute slam dunk for the NHL?

Cross-quoting from the 2013-14 NHL Uniform Changes thread:

Hamilton Bulldogs commentator Derek Wills announced tonight that the Houston Aeros will be moving to Des Moines, Iowa next season.

If that's legit, it means Peoria gets frozen out.

At least the Rivermen won in the last game I saw them play.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hopefully it's like 1996, when the IHL Rivermen bolted for San Antonio (your feature this evening is Peter Graves in The Beginning of the End), and an ECHL version of the Rivs stepped right in to replace them.

I'm not an expert in this stuff, so this is a totally uninformed prediction.

But I bet the Peoria Rivermen exist again within 5 years and they're affiliated with (but not owned by) the Blues again within 10.

Oh, I'm sure some maniac will set up shop with at least an ECHL team before that even. Travel's a lot more feasible now that Fort Wayne, Evansville, and Kalamazoo are in the league. It's still upsetting.

*goes back to burning killer whale in effigy*

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

*goes back to burning killer whale in effigy*

Welcome. We've been waiting for you. You're among friends here.

Hopefully it's like 1996, when the IHL Rivermen bolted for San Antonio (your feature this evening is Peter Graves in The Beginning of the End), and an ECHL version of the Rivs stepped right in to replace them.

This is the year that Sandy Shindleman wanted to buy them and move them to Winnipeg, before Chipman made a deal with Winnipeg Enterprises and got the only arena lease available, and brought the Moose to town.

Shindleman and his brother cried foul, the Rivermen hastily moved to San Antonio, the Dragons logo later moved to Kelowna, and now no one can really give us a good reason why the Rockets logo is a big flying lizard.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Upon entry into the I, the Dragons wore screenprinted mesh K1 rec league jerseys, because they forgot to order/design uniforms from official league supplier Bauer.

This is what we call a "harbinger".

Isn't Kelowna's logo the Ogopogo? An Ogopogo logo is some quality Local Flair; if anything, it's more puzzling that their nickname is still the Rockets.

I don't know if Peoria is really a must-have for the AHL, especially if they have these stupid national aspirations. Peoria worked as a top-level affiliate for St. Louis because of the short distance, and if the Blues really have no interest in putting forth the comparatively small funds it takes to run an AHL team close to home, then I guess we won't be seeing them around for a while, unless they somehow do get the money to own a team again, or they find someone who will own the team on his dime and affiliate with the Blues. It's the same deal as Rockford, which exists as an AHL market solely for the convenience of the Blackhawks and not because it's a good place to be. Only New York and New England get to load up on medium-sized cities whose parent teams are nowhere nearby.

I would have liked Peoria to stay in the AHL, mind you. I thought it was cool to have a nice midwestern division like that. There's just no reason to be in Peoria if not to park Blues prospects.

Honestly, if Rockford (the city) didn't own the IceHogs, I wonder if Peoria might have considered approaching the Blackhawks about moving down here. If nothing else the Bradley students would likely welcome the chance to see the Blackhawks of the future.

Today, we are all otaku.

If this doesn't mean the Coyotes are moving to Houston, can this finally be the end of all the talk about how a giant sprawling warm-weather metropolis with all its northern transplants and rich people far from downtown is an absolute slam dunk for the NHL?

Call it "The Gary Bettman Consolation Prize Theory". Even he must realize that the Phoenix experiment is coming to an end; he must be looking for a way to pretend that it wasn't a complete f___ up.

Archived