Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

I think it might be hard to match the symmetrical look of the points/edges of the H & S in Hornets with a C & E in Charlotte, unless they were to move the points up to the top of both letters in "Charlotte".

I guarantee right now that we'll see a teal "Buzz City" Alternate in the next two years.

They could've just extended the middle part of the "E" into a point/spike. And unfortunately, it does seem like a "Buzz City" alt will be coming.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess they want to emphasize that they're the Hornets now, kind of like how the Miami Marlins wear "Miami" at home, but it's still an interesting decision given that the original Hornets never wore "Hornets" on their jerseys until the Oklahoma City seasons (and then went back to location at home).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Adidas has 0 say in the uniform.

Jordan Brand is designing the uniform. Whitfield said the new uniforms will resemble the new Hugo logo, as in they'll resemble the originals with slight modernizations.

I don't care for the logos but I think the uniforms are gonna be awesome. Jordan Brand knows how to design :censored:.

Uhhh, Adidas is going to be the manufacturer behind the jersey, so yes they will have say in the uniform. Somehow I don't think they are going to let Jordan brand design the jerseys they produce.

You don't get how things work. Unless NBA signed something giving adidas exclusive design rights (which would be absurd) a team can hire any designer to do the design work, and they in turn have to work with the manufacturer to translate it to a template or design something new. While it is declining, teams use local or in-house firms sometimes.

Firstly, I'll also suggest that I believe it's done by any designer, they just have to work with the Adidas templates.

Secondly, what's that about the new Hugo logo? On the new uniforms?

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

Jordan Brand is designing the uniform. Whitfield said the new uniforms will resemble the new Hugo logo, as in they'll resemble the originals with slight modernizations.

I don't care for the logos but I think the uniforms are gonna be awesome. Jordan Brand knows how to design :censored:.

Uhhh, Adidas is going to be the manufacturer behind the jersey, so yes they will have say in the uniform. Somehow I don't think they are going to let Jordan brand design the jerseys they produce.
You don't get how things work. Unless NBA signed something giving adidas exclusive design rights (which would be absurd) a team can hire any designer to do the design work, and they in turn have to work with the manufacturer to translate it to a template or design something new. While it is declining, teams use local or in-house firms sometimes.

Firstly, I'll also suggest that I believe it's done by any designer, they just have to work with the Adidas templates.

the only thing template about Adidas' rev30 template is the number materials, and the pattern of the mesh, everything else can change

From what I understand, the two Hugo logos will not be used on the court design or uniforms. When they released the logos in December they specifically said the Hugo logo is an updated version of the original to honor the original Hornets and will only be used for marketing Hugo the Hornet mascot and for children. So I assume it'll be strictly for merchandize and children events.

As to whoever said Adidas will design the uniform because they make all NBA jerseys, uh no. Michael Jordan owns the team. His brand designed the logos and they are designing the uniforms. That had already been confirmed by team officials. Some people are speculating that he is collaborating Jordan Brand with Julian Alexander, a fellow UNC alumni who designed the original Hornets uniforms as well as the current UNC uniforms, but that has not been confirmed.

Seeing the color charts and wordmarks I'm kinda disappointed. I was hoping they'd follow the originals but it looks like they're not. I think it's a foregone conclusion the alts will say "Buzz City" because they've really pushed that logo.

The original Hornets had 3 uniforms; white home, teal away, and purple alternate. All of which said Charlotte on the front. They never wore a uniform that said Hornets. But it seems they are deemphasizing teal in favor of purple, which I'm not a fan of either.

That said, Michael brought back the Hornets name and purple/teal so I won't complain. Just glad the name is back.

Charlotte Hornets Schedule:

June 5th - Hugo the Hornet mascot unveiled

June 7th - Honeybees Tryouts

June 9th - Day of service at local school

June 19th - Uniforms unveiled

June 25th - Court Design unveiled

July - Summer league as Hornets

October - Buzzfest (multi-day festival celebrating return of Hornets)

More to make the point that I have no emotional attachment to a city - to show how unbiased and unattached I am.

Yes, but plenty of people with no attachment to the city have weighed in on the opposite side of things. As much as you want to play the "unbiased observer" card, well so can I.
I know your Canadian now
As opposed to when I was Argentinian?
I won't discuss this with you unless you quote my entire post.
That's a bit pompous and arrogant my friend. "You did not respond to my whole post. So I'll just ignore it! Ha! Shows you right!" - (what I imagine your thought process was on this)

I won't discuss this with you unless you quote my entire post.

No need to trim my comments to suit your narrative.

Sincerely,

Arrogant Andy

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

I guess they want to emphasize that they're the Hornets now, kind of like how the Miami Marlins wear "Miami" at home, but it's still an interesting decision given that the original Hornets never wore "Hornets" on their jerseys until the Oklahoma City seasons (and then went back to location at home).

The former Bobcats are the original Hornets.

spacer.png

What are the Bobcats?

-Hornets Mistaken, ca. 2025

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hopefully the alt is a teal "CHARLOTTE" jersey. Anyone think they will just use a teal throwback as their alt?

Yeah, that would be a good idea. Add a couple of touches like a new set of pinstripes that inspire a throwback feel, just like the Nuggets yellow mountain jersey.

Hopefully the alt is a teal "CHARLOTTE" jersey. Anyone think they will just use a teal throwback as their alt?

Yeah, that would be a good idea. Add a couple of touches like a new set of pinstripes that inspire a throwback feel, just like the Nuggets yellow mountain jersey.

I highly doubt they do that.

They've pushed the Buzz City logo extremely hard around the city. I'd almost guarantee the alt will say "Buzz City" and have a unique design, whereas the new home/away will be white/purple with pinstripes. They may have to wait a year to unveil those, though. I think the NBA has tilts about how many new uniforms a team can add each season, unless they make an exception for Charlotte.

They now own the rights to the original uniforms. They can just wear those for throwback nights. There are 5 original uniforms; the original white/teal home/away, the mid 90s updates white/teal home/away, & a purple alternate that was added when they updated.

If they have their home/away/alternate plus the original throwbacks that would work. They could wear the alternate on the road a few games (like the Bulls black uni) & have throwback nights at home where they honor guys like Muggsy, Gill, LJ, etc & wear the original Charlotte uniform.

They've pushed the Buzz City logo extremely hard around the city. I'd almost guarantee the alt will say "Buzz City" and have a unique design, whereas the new home/away will be white/purple with pinstripes. They may have to wait a year to unveil those, though. I think the NBA has tilts about how many new uniforms a team can add each season, unless they make an exception for Charlotte.

They now own the rights to the original uniforms. They can just wear those for throwback nights. There are 5 original uniforms; the original white/teal home/away, the mid 90s updates white/teal home/away, & a purple alternate that was added when they updated.

If they have their home/away/alternate plus the original throwbacks that would work. They could wear the alternate on the road a few games (like the Bulls black uni) & have throwback nights at home where they honor guys like Muggsy, Gill, LJ, etc & wear the original Charlotte uniform.

You might be right. But longs the jersey is teal, I will have few complaints if any.

You might be right. But longs the jersey is teal, I will have few complaints if any.

I really wanted teal, too. But I think MJ likes the purple better.

Say what you want about Jordan's management history, but he is a genius with his brand. I have no doubts that the uniforms will be great.

I have an educated guess, simply based off what the team has said. From these leaked templates, the Buzz City logo being pushed extremely hard around the city, MJ seems to like purple over teal, pinstripes are back (blue/black colors are exclusively pinstripes per team), & they announced yesterday that they will wear the original throwbacks at some point.

Home-

'Hornets' White; purple/blue/black pinstripes

Away- '

Hornets' Purple; teal/blue/black pinstripes

Alt-

'Buzz City' Purple/Teal; unique design, no pinstripes

Throwbacks-

Original Charlotte Hornets Uniforms (5)

When they said the new uniforms were going to resemble the originals only updated I was hoping that meant they would say Charlotte and be white/teal. But since they're gonna have throwbacks it makes sense to switch it up with "Hornets" across the chest and use purple as the road uniform. While they will still resemble the originals they will be modern and unique, giving a nice contrast against the throwbacks, making those even cooler for special occasions. Think about it, if they stuck with the originals and just did very minor tweaking it would diminish the throwbacks.

Uniform lineup-

Away-

Primary purple road uniform. Unique "Buzz City" alternate for 4-5 select road games; holidays, @ New Orleans, etc.

Home-

White primary home uniform. Original Charlotte uniforms on 4-5 "Throwback Nights". Wear the original throwbacks and honor the original Hornets, & bring in guys like Muggsy, Gill, LJ, Mourning, Rice, etc. Not sure if feasible, but would be insane to also have that awesome mid 90s court made up for these nights.

Just my .02

Since the NBA already allowed this history shift time space continuum whatever then they more likely will unveil a retro and a alt at the same time. Why wait for a couple years after all they have been around since 1988 so technically they already unveiled an alt back in 1992 or so.

spacer.png

Archived