Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

I'm really wondering, why they didn't put the wordmark from the logo on the jerseys, as it has more character. The jersey wordmark is more generic-looking.

agreed. they shoulda done that, and of course had a "CHARLOTTE" away uni in the same styling.

kinda like this: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/90303-bringin-the-buzz-back-to-charlotte-new-unis-court/page-2#entry2141872 ;)

I can understand, though, why they have the nickname on the away uni instead of the city name, since "Charlotte" can still invoke associations of the Bobcats.

That's probably why the Lakers do the same. Don't want fans to be confused about their Mpls history.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really wondering, why they didn't put the wordmark from the logo on the jerseys, as it has more character. The jersey wordmark is more generic-looking.

agreed. they shoulda done that, and of course had a "CHARLOTTE" away uni in the same styling.

kinda like this: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/90303-bringin-the-buzz-back-to-charlotte-new-unis-court/page-2#entry2141872 ;)

I can understand, though, why they have the nickname on the away uni instead of the city name, since "Charlotte" can still invoke associations of the Bobcats.

That's probably why the Lakers do the same. Don't want fans to be confused about their Mpls history.

I think that's kinda the opposite as the Hornets reasoning suggested above. If anything, I'd say adding "Los Angeles" would have been a way to separate from Minneapolis. In fact, I think they do have some history of using "Los Angeles" on the roads. My guess is that the "Lakers" wordmark is viewed as the most recognizable image for the team while "Los Angeles" is a bit long for a hoops jersey.

All that said, I would not think "Charlotte" on the roads would invoke Bobcats associations. In fact, given that the Hornets used that on both home and road in the old days, I am really surprised they are not at least using it on the roads. It's too bad.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Wikipedia is now stating that the Charlotte Hornets "suspended operations." Since when did they suspend operations?

Since it was decided that these Hornets are the same as the original Hornets. As weird as it seems (since no team actually did suspend operations in 2002), the NBA's official history (someone correct me if I am wrong) is that the current Hornets started in 1988 and the current Pelicans started as a new franchise in 2002.

For those questioning how this is revisionist history, here you go...and yes, they revised it way after the fact (as evidenced by the fact that the team kept the Hornets name for a decade after the move)

So Wikipedia is correct, even if it would have had no reason to mention "suspended operations" for the past 12 years up to a few days ago.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

There really should be a new rule, across all sports, that once a team moves, the identity is dead. The current team has to change its name upon relocation, and the former city cannot reclaim that name should a franchise return there. A bit extreme, yes, but the mess that the Browns deal created has to stop somewhere.

There's nothing wrong with taking the name, as the expansion Washington Senators and the new Winnipeg Jets have shown. Taking an old nickname doesn't necessarily equate to spitting on history.

Even the NFL did this right once. The Baltimore Colts franchise that was created in 1953 and that today plays in Indianapolis took the name of the Baltimore Colts team which had joined the NFL from the AAFC (along with the Browns and the 49ers) but which folded in 1950. This new Colts team didn't assume the history of the old Colts team.

It's so saddening that some people cannot see the historical crime being committed here by the NBA and the new Hornets. Enjoy the name; but don't mess with the facts of history. What they're doing is just foul.

The Buffalo Bills are named after an AAFC team also.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

I think that's kinda the opposite as the Hornets reasoning suggested above. If anything, I'd say adding "Los Angeles" would have been a way to separate from Minneapolis. In fact, I think they do have some history of using "Los Angeles" on the roads. My guess is that the "Lakers" wordmark is viewed as the most recognizable image for the team while "Los Angeles" is a bit long for a hoops jersey.

Exactly.

All that said, I would not think "Charlotte" on the roads would invoke Bobcats associations. In fact, given that the Hornets used that on both home and road in the old days, I am really surprised they are not at least using it on the roads. It's too bad.

It will at first, since Charlotte has been associated with the Bobcats for quite some time now.

^^

Maybe. I guess having "Hornets" on the road could send the message that "we are the HORNETS now."

I personally think the colors/name/etc. does that enough, but that could be their rationale.

POTD (Shared)

Last night ESPN reported that the Thunder's 35 point loss was their worst loss since a 1978, 35 point loss to the Bullets. Talk about revisionist history. THIS is exactly why histories need to stay with the city. Especially when the team changes their nickname.

If I changed my username to "LeafsLover72", and then in a few years you decided to change your username to BigBubba, would you be entitled to my posts and likes? Sure, you would have the same name as me, and you could even change your sig and avatar to dress up like me. But the fact of the matter is that you are a different poster than I am, and to pretend that you could take claim to everything that I've done in the last three years just because you go by my old name would be ludicrous.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Last night ESPN reported that the Thunder's 35 point loss was their worst loss since a 1978, 35 point loss to the Bullets. Talk about revisionist history. THIS is exactly why histories need to stay with the city. Especially when the team changes their nickname.

If I changed my username to "LeafsLover72", and then in a few years you decided to change your username to BigBubba, would you be entitled to my posts and likes? Sure, you would have the same name as me, and you could even change your sig and avatar to dress up like me. But the fact of the matter is that you are a different poster than I am, and to pretend that you could take claim to everything that I've done in the last three years just because you go by my old name would be ludicrous.

That's a very solid analogy right there.

I never thought I'd say this but the NHL has taken the common sense, correct approach to something; the ex-Thrashers took the name of the old Winnipeg Jets and broadly the same colours, but kept what history they had from Atlanta, whilst largely leaving the original Jets heritage with the team where it is now in Phoenix.

And yet they own the trademarks of the 1972-1996 Jets but not those of the Thrashers. The only Thrashers history that I know of the Jets honoring is maintaining the solid-bro award named for the player Dany Heatley killed.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm going to change my name to Michael Jackson. I suspended operations in 2009, but am now back and ready to receive royalties.

post of the day

now legit hoping for a newspeak world in which dead people are said to have "suspended operations"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Is it me, or would it just seem way too obvious to NOT wear teal jerseys? If they do indeed end up wearing purple (like it has been rumored) instead of teal it would just scream "We are back with the SAME old name and the SAME old colors, but we paid these design guys WAY too much money to completely recycle an old look...so we went with purple instead!"

Just go teal and be done with it. What would they be trying to prove by going purple??? It's just plain dumb. Weren't they the poster child for the color TEAL back in the late 80's, early 90's? Why deviate away from that??? SMH

Is it me, or would it just seem way too obvious to NOT wear teal jerseys? If they do indeed end up wearing purple (like it has been rumored) instead of teal it would just scream "We are back with the SAME old name and the SAME old colors, but we paid these design guys WAY too much money to completely recycle an old look...so we went with purple instead!"

Just go teal and be done with it. What would they be trying to prove by going purple??? It's just plain dumb. Weren't they the poster child for the color TEAL back in the late 80's, early 90's? Why deviate away from that??? SMH

If they have a purple jersey, it means that the people running the team have decided that using the old Hornets identity is the most efficient way to extract money from the fans, but they don't actually like said identity.

Throwbacks are cash cows. No need for duplicates when you can have two similar but different sets. Hopefully Hornets do better than the Suns.

Extra post..

Using the now-official colors and logos, i've revamped my uni designs..

CHA-2014-home-uni-new.png

CHA-2014-away-uni-new.png

Conrad if you replace the word mark "Charlotte" with "Hornets" then these could work as an accurate set. You almost nailed it.
shado_logo.gif

I hated it at first, but making purple the road makes sense, money wise. If the jerseys are going to be so similar to the old one, why would people buy duplicates? Especially if the team plans to have throwbacks.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

If they have a purple jersey, it means that the people running the team have decided that using the old Hornets identity is the most efficient way to extract money from the fans, but they don't actually like said identity.

That would definitely seem to be a very plausible scenario, but can they really be that naive to the fact that teal is the essence of the Charlotte Hornets identity and therefore a conduit for new jersey and merch sales???!!! I mean c'mon, it seems so obvious...am I missing something???

Two fan blogs are reading the tea leaves of all this and coming to the conclusion that the team has decided to change its nickname back to the Charlotte Hornets

Can't "change back" to something that never was. Minor point of order there.

omg they used to be the hornets lol you're dumb

Two fan blogs are reading the tea leaves of all this and coming to the conclusion that the team has decided to change its nickname back to the Charlotte Hornets

Can't "change back" to something that never was. Minor point of order there.

omg they used to be the hornets lol you're dumb

sigh......

Archived