Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

I just remembered something from over a decade ago, which should give clarity to the road jersey. When the city of Charlotte approved funding for TWC Arena they wrote bylaws into the agreement that the team must use "Charlotte" as the wordmark on all road uniforms indefinitely.

So, that should settle that.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except Kobe would have never played for the Hornets.

About two years ago Kobe himself said he would have gladly played in Charlotte and that all the rumors that he and his agent would only sign in LA were completely false.

He also said if he had went to college he would've "without question" went to UNC. That one reallyyyy pissed off all the Duke fans around here, who constantly mention how much Kobe loves and praises coach K and that he would've loved playing for him in college. But, when directly asked where he would've attended college he said "I still have the recruitment letter Dean Smith sent me. I mean, come on, he's :censored:ing Dean Smith. I would've been a Tar Heel."

Do we have context or a link for this interview?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

About two years ago Kobe himself said he would have gladly played in Charlotte and that all the rumors that he and his agent would only sign in LA were completely false.

He also said if he had went to college he would've "without question" went to UNC. That one reallyyyy pissed off all the Duke fans around here, who constantly mention how much Kobe loves and praises coach K and that he would've loved playing for him in college. But, when directly asked where he would've attended college he said "I still have the recruitment letter Dean Smith sent me. I mean, come on, he's :censored:ing Dean Smith. I would've been a Tar Heel."

I'll try to find it tomorrow, it was plastered all over UNC/Duke boards at the time. In the mid 00s Kobe was talking about K and how he would've loved playing for him at Duke. Then Duke fans ran with it and claimed Kobe for some stupid reason and wouldn't shut up about it. So when he stated he would've actually chose UNC, because of Dean & MJ, UNC fans had a field day. It was an interview with the Charlotte CBS affiliate when the Lakers were playing in town a few years ago. They brought up his comments from a few years earlier in which he stated he loves coach K and would've loved playing for him at Duke. He said while true, that was a relationship built in the 00s thru USA basketball and if he had actually went to college he would've signed with UNC. Said to this day he has the recruitment letter Dean Smith sent him framed in his trophy room and he wouldn't have played for any other coach.

Then they brought up when he was drafted by Charlotte and tried getting him to comment on what happened. He said what many people don't realize, or fail to acknowledge, is that Charlotte didn't even want him and only drafted him to get Divac and Rice. He said he did not want to play in Charlotte and did have his agent tell them that before they even drafted him. He also confirms that they told Charlotte they would sit out a year or go to Europe, but that it was a bluff and if Chapter had actually wanted him and refused to move him he would've played here.... *laughing* "at least until his rookie deal expired."

-Kevin Garnett

-Kobe Bryant

-LeBron James

-Dwight Howard

Those four have all expressed they would've played at UNC if they weren't eligible for the draft straight out of high school. Seems all the elite guys would've chose UNC. Ironically, since the rules have changed UNC has missed on all the elite guys not named Harrison Barnes.

Fun fact-

Kevin Durant is partially responsible for UNC's 2009 Championship.

Kevin wanted to play at UNC but didn't qualify academically. He & Lawson were best friends in high school and wanted to play together. Lawson didn't really want to go to UNC but Kevin convinced him to sign there. Ty was the best player on the '09 team.

Never have I felt that the Matt Doherty era was good and necessary for North Carolina as I have at this moment.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Kevin wanted to play at UNC but didn't qualify academically. He & Lawson were best friends in high school and wanted to play together. Lawson didn't really want to go to UNC but Kevin convinced him to sign there. Ty was the best player on the '09 team.

Where's the evidence of this? Because from what I've looked up, although Lawson wanted him to go to UNC, he chose to go to Texas as Russell Springman, an Assistant at Texas and a Maryland native, had been in touch with him since his freshman year of high school. Now is that the entirey or actuality of that? I'm not sure. But you have certainly shown with your numerous posts that your nothing more than a North Carolina fanboy, so I find the rest of internet a little more reliable.

Where's the evidence of this? Because from what I've looked up, although Lawson wanted him to go to UNC, he chose to go to Texas as Russell Springman, an Assistant at Texas and a Maryland native, had been in touch with him since his freshman year of high school. Now is that the entirey or actuality of that? I'm not sure. But you have certainly shown with your numerous posts that your nothing more than a North Carolina fanboy, so I find the rest of internet a little more reliable.

Roy Williams gave his final scholarship to Brandon Wright instead of Kevin.

Durant wanted to go to UNC.

-Kevin Garnett

-Kobe Bryant

-LeBron James

-Dwight Howard

Those four have all expressed they would've played at UNC if they weren't eligible for the draft straight out of high school. Seems all the elite guys would've chose UNC. Ironically, since the rules have changed UNC has missed on all the elite guys not named Harrison Barnes.

Fun fact-

So that bogus major and course of study in Chapel Hill only was employed by the football program? Oh well, UNC's loss was UT's gain, for one year at least.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Yet his own agent said directly to the media at the time that playing in Charlotte was an "impossibility."

Additionally, Kobe and his agent strung the Nets along in the run-up to the draft and then threatened to go play in Europe at the last minute so they'd pass on him.

Kobe can deny the fact that he pulled an Eli Manning on draft day all he wants, but the facts demonstrate otherwise.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

-Kevin Garnett

-Kobe Bryant

-LeBron James

-Dwight Howard

Fun fact-

So that bogus major and course of study in Chapel Hill only was employed by the football program? Oh well, UNC's loss was UT's gain, for one year at least.

Oh, it was used by the basketball team. That's documented.

Today, we are all otaku.

Then they brought up when he was drafted by Charlotte and tried getting him to comment on what happened. He said what many people don't realize, or fail to acknowledge, is that Charlotte didn't even want him and only drafted him to get Divac and Rice. He said he did not want to play in Charlotte and did have his agent tell them that before they even drafted him. He also confirms that they told Charlotte they would sit out a year or go to Europe, but that it was a bluff and if Chapter had actually wanted him and refused to move him he would've played here.... *laughing* "at least until his rookie deal expired."

Rice had already been a Hornet for a year by the time Kobe was drafted. If you're going to pull "facts" out of your arse, you might want to do a bit of basic fact-checking first, instead of spamming the board with your mad theories.

Yet his own agent said directly to the media at the time that playing in Charlotte was an "impossibility."

Additionally, Kobe and his agent strung the Nets along in the run-up to the draft and then threatened to go play in Europe at the last minute so they'd pass on him.

Kobe can deny the fact that he pulled an Eli Manning on draft day all he wants, but the facts demonstrate otherwise.

Right. Of course decades after the fact, he can say that. My friend's smoking hot wife said she would have gone out with me had I asked years ago, but in reality she would have laughed and possibly slapped me had I even suggested it. But she's married now, so she can make up whatever she wants from before then because it just doesn' matter.

For the record, I have no problem with him or guys like Eli Manning. Unless they do it to "my" team. Screw you, JD Drew. I hope you get a Louisville Slugger shoved so far up your a that I can see the trademark sticking out of your mouth. Die, jerk. Just die.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

About two years ago Kobe himself said he would have gladly played in Charlotte and that all the rumors that he and his agent would only sign in LA were completely false.He also said if he had went to college he would've "without question" went to UNC. That one reallyyyy pissed off all the Duke fans around here, who constantly mention how much Kobe loves and praises coach K and that he would've loved playing for him in college. But, when directly asked where he would've attended college he said "I still have the recruitment letter Dean Smith sent me. I mean, come on, he's :censored:ing Dean Smith. I would've been a Tar Heel."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/87467/kobe-wouldve-picked-unc-over-duke

Looks like there's plausibly some credibility to the story here too

http://nypost.com/2012/03/25/love-and-durant-friends-to-end-on-and-off-court/

90758391980.gif

Right. Of course decades after the fact, he can say that. My friend's smoking hot wife said she would have gone out with me had I asked years ago, but in reality she would have laughed and possibly slapped me had I even suggested it. But she's married now, so she can make up whatever she wants from before then because it just doesn' matter.

For the record, I have no problem with him or guys like Eli Manning. Unless they do it to "my" team. Screw you, JD Drew. I hope you get a Louisville Slugger shoved so far up your a that I can see the trademark sticking out of your mouth. Die, jerk. Just die.

459ce17e20c176c2f520f725554d13b2e25a8b76 :-/ im just saying..
shado_logo.gif

About two years ago Kobe himself said he would have gladly played in Charlotte and that all the rumors that he and his agent would only sign in LA were completely false.He also said if he had went to college he would've "without question" went to UNC. That one reallyyyy pissed off all the Duke fans around here, who constantly mention how much Kobe loves and praises coach K and that he would've loved playing for him in college. But, when directly asked where he would've attended college he said "I still have the recruitment letter Dean Smith sent me. I mean, come on, he's :censored:ing Dean Smith. I would've been a Tar Heel."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/87467/kobe-wouldve-picked-unc-over-duke

I was going more for the "Kobe would have actually played in Charlotte" claim.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived