Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

The official uniform wordmarks:

BoKdmndCAAAKWlv.png

The away uni will be purple, and I guess the alt (likely sleeved) uni will be teal, and also likely have "Buzz City" on it, but I'm just guessing on that. The above graphic is the only official, confirmed info I have.

How hard could it have been to make a matching Charlotte wordmark?

This took me like 20 minutes:

CWFgAar.png

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The official uniform wordmarks:BoKdmndCAAAKWlv.png

The away uni will be purple, and I guess the alt (likely sleeved) uni will be teal, and also likely have "Buzz City" on it, but I'm just guessing on that. The above graphic is the only official, confirmed info I have.

How hard could it have been to make a matching Charlotte wordmark?

This took me like 20 minutes:

CWFgAar.png

Can you make a white?

Original team said "Charlotte" on all their uniforms.

The official uniform wordmarks:

BoKdmndCAAAKWlv.png

Great find as always Conrad!
shado_logo.gif

It's obvious that the team wants to emphasis the new nickname. Hence "HORNETS" on the road. I'm more concerned about the roads being purple. Teal was a huge part of the original Hornets' identity and a purple road uniform just seems to missing the point of this whole thing.

Also any jersey that says "BUZZ CITY" will just look stupid.

Can you make a white?

Here ya go...

CWFgAar_zpsa076acab.png

It's obvious that the team wants to emphasis the new nickname. Hence "HORNETS" on the road. I'm more concerned about the roads being purple. Teal was a huge part of the original Hornets' identity and a purple road uniform just seems to missing the point of this whole thing.

Also any jersey that says "BUZZ CITY" will just look stupid.

Can you make a white?

Here ya go...

CWFgAar_zpsa076acab.png

Thanks...

The teal looks so much better. I agree, that's what made the Hornets special. Julian Alexander was a genius with the teal accented by purple and multi-colored pinstripes. Those jerseys are legitimately iconic. They came out in 1988, how many pro teams followed suit with teal in the 90s?

-Florida Marlins

-Arizona Diamondbacks

-San Jose Sharks

-Detroit Pistons

-Jacksonville Jaguars

Seems like every expansion team after them used teal in the 90s.

Im glad it says Hornets now. Save the "Charlotte" wordmark for the throwbacks. Besides they may have an alternate with "Charlotte" on it anyway!

A teal "Charlotte" alternate would be awesome. I hate the idea of Buzz City on a jersey but I have a bad feeling that's the direction they're going.

In addition to those, off the top of my head:

Vancouver Grizzlies

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

Seattle Mariners

New York Islanders

plus tons of minor league teams.

all used teal in some form. It may have started eventually without them, but the Hornets definitely ushered in that wave.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Vancouver Grizzlies

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

Seattle Mariners

New York Islanders

all used teal in some form. It may have started eventually without them, but the Hornets definitely ushered in that wave.

I don't think those teams used actual teal, but a very similar color. But Charlotte definitely set the trend for the 90s. IIt probably would've caught on without them eventually but it was pretty brave to throw out a pro team with teal & purple.

That's why I really wanted the name and colors back. The city, and entire Carolinas, loved that team so passionately and made for an incredible, sold out atmosphere every single night. Then on top of it their brand was one of the most popular in any sport so across the country.

Everybody wore Hornets snapbacks and Starter jackets in the 90s. Hell, I bet the snapbacks are still one of the best sellers to this day.

They always make this mistake. At least it doesnt say CATS anymore. Before they made the mistake of running "CHARLOTTE" on both jerseys as if Hornets nickname didnt exist. And then even in the NOLA days it was always NEW ORLEANS. What was wrong with 'CHARLOTTE' on the away and 'HORNETS' on the home? This is a simple concept that every team needs to implement. Nickname at home, city name on the away.

They always make this mistake. At least it doesnt say CATS anymore. Before they made the mistake of running "CHARLOTTE" on both jerseys as if Hornets nickname didnt exist. And then even in the NOLA days it was always NEW ORLEANS. What was wrong with 'CHARLOTTE' on the away and 'HORNETS' on the home? This is a simple concept that every team needs to implement. Nickname at home, city name on the away.

You answered your own question...

Everyone was wearing red, blue, black, etc in the 80s with the name on home jerseys and city on road jerseys.

Charlotte did their own thing with "Charlotte" & teal/purple. They were unique

You answered your own question...

Everyone was wearing red, blue, black, etc in the 80s with the name on home jerseys and city on road jerseys.

Charlotte did their own thing with "Charlotte" & teal/purple. They were unique

With the exception being the knicks,bulls, jazz, pistons, sixers, sonics, rockets and lakers etc. opting for a single wordmark during that era.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

IIIIIIIIIIIIT'S JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADE *shivs you*

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's interesting to me that they made a full "Charlotte Hornets" wordmark in the condensed, and the extended type:

MSCNhRx.png

I think the letter shapes on the top condensed one look kinda shoddy. But the tracking on some of the letters in the bottom one is downright awful (the C-H in particular is painful to look at).

It's interesting to me that they made a full "Charlotte Hornets" wordmark in the condensed, and the extended type:

MSCNhRx.png

I think the letter shapes on the top condensed one look kinda shoddy. But the tracking on some of the letters in the bottom one is downright awful (the C-H in particular is painful to look at).

Nitpick, much?

MSCNhRx.png

Nitpick, much?

new.gif

But seriously: why did they remove the corner-cutout from the top right of the C on the bottom one? Its the only letter they did.

Vancouver Grizzlies

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

Seattle Mariners

New York Islanders

I don't think those teams used actual teal, but a very similar color.

Two posts later you ask someone else "nitpick much?".

It was close enough to teal to call it teal. Either way all of those teams jumped on the bluishgreen bandwagon the Hornets started.

PvO6ZWJ.png

MSCNhRx.png

The top version looks, to me anyway, like the wordmark that will go on the endlines of the court.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived