2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

Holy crap. Tampa Bay has three separate homestands of seven, six, and six games? That's nearly half their home slate!

It'll be interesting to see if this is a thing with the rest of the league, because that seems a tad bit absurd. If nothing else, at least this isn't like that ridiculous 12-game homestand they had back in 2010-11.

--

(random sampling of five teams, non-NBA arenas, for observation)

Detroit - longest homestand is only five games, with two four-gamers mixed in.

Phoenix - one six-gamer, one five-gamer.

Vancouver - one six-gamer, two five-gamers.

Minnesota - couple of four-gamers, nothing longer.

Ottawa - two five-gamers.

--

Some comparables there, but nothing quite to the Lightning's extent.

spacer.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like Carcillo is off to Los Angeles, having been completely obviated by Andrew Shaw's meteoric rise. They both even look vaguely rodential.

I just realized that Carcillo could be Adam Morrison's stunt double.

cgTGe2u.png

6940.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Playoff qualification will be primarily Division-based, with the top three finishers in each Division qualifying for the first 12 spots in the Stanley Cup Playoffs (and the first three "seeds" in each Division).

The two additional playoff spots in each Conference, designated as "Wild Cards," will be awarded to the next two highest-placed finishers in each Conference, ranked on the basis of regular-season points and regardless of Division.

Also, no one is going to understand this and it's just going to help everyone make fun of hockey more.

Schedule out.

We're looking at the Pacific, Central, Atlantic, and...Metropolitan divisions.

Pacific, Central, Atlantic, The only Division NBC cares about, or T.O.D.N.B.C.C.A

/How about Century, Central, Coastal, Capital?

//Or just call that one division the Eastern division.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'd consider the teams in the 'Metropolitan' division more Atlantic than the teams in the 'Atlantic' division.

If it weren't for the fact that too many people would get confused because of stupidity or laziness, the Metro Division could've much more easily been termed the "Mid-Atlantic Division" since, well, that's the Mid-Atlantic region there.

spacer.png

I'd consider the teams in the 'Metropolitan' division more Atlantic than the teams in the 'Atlantic' division.

Yeah, of the eight teams in the Atlantic Division only two (if we're being generous) play in cities that you could claim are actually on the Atlantic coastline.

I would have just kept Atlantic and Northeast, effectively doing nothing more than eliminating the Vancouver Cakewalk and NASCAR Division forever. Even Smythe/Norris/Adams/Patrick would have been an affront because then you're bringing back the Norris Division just to wipe your ass with it by having Dallas and Nashville in it.

Playoff qualification will be primarily Division-based, with the top three finishers in each Division qualifying for the first 12 spots in the Stanley Cup Playoffs (and the first three "seeds" in each Division).

The two additional playoff spots in each Conference, designated as "Wild Cards," will be awarded to the next two highest-placed finishers in each Conference, ranked on the basis of regular-season points and regardless of Division.

Also, no one is going to understand this and it's just going to help everyone make fun of hockey more.

I like how the "crossover rule" (which is what this is, despite the predictably half-arsed way of explaining) typically exists to compensate for having uneven divisions in a Conference or league except in this case where it is unnecessary because of the Conference split.

Just say the top 4 per division make it in. Considering how many games you play against your own division and the similarity between your schedule and that of your division foes, if you can't make the top 4 you have no business in the playoffs.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I can't wait for endless postseason bitching from the Stepford Sharkies about how they would have made the playoffs if they had been in this division instead of that division and played two home games and a road game instead of two road games and a home game against this team or that team and something about an unfair rotation and then they would have been a wild card in the other division or maybe their own and oh god this is gonna suck so hard isn't it

I can't wait for endless postseason bitching from the Stepford Sharkies about how they would have made the playoffs if they had been in this division instead of that division and played two home games and a road game instead of two road games and a home game against this team or that team and something about an unfair rotation and then they would have been a wild card in the other division or maybe their own and oh god this is gonna suck so hard isn't it

Ah, a whole season of scheduling losses.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

The mild unbalance of home/road games isn't exactly something new. As recently as 2002-03, I believe, there were only five divisional games per season, meaning two opponents of playing 3 home/2 road, and two opponents of playing 2 home/3 road. This allowed for more inter-conference games. This wasn't a bad thing at all.

spacer.png

It's going to be kind of strange if the two wild cards both play in the opposite divisions playoffs.

Example:

division winner #1 LA vs. wild card #2 Minnesota

division winner #2 Dallas vs. wild card #1 San Jose

From everything I've read, it's not a true crossover format like the CFL does.

And the names: They could have changed the conference names back to being named after the trophies, then the divisions could have been geographical.

If I, a reasonably avid hockey fan, is confused, imagine the casual fans!

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Yeah I don't think it's a true crossover.

I think what they mean is that the top 3 from each division make it, plus the two teams with the most points from the conference that aren't in the top 6. There doesn't have to be a required amount of teams from each division besides the top 3.

IbjBaeE.png

But the way it works is that the better of the two division winners gets the lower of the two wild cards, so you could have a situation where the team with the lower wild card is from the opposite division as the team that finished first in the conference, and then at that point why aren't you just doing divisional playoffs? This is stupid.

Again. Just take the top 4 per division and be done with it. The whole theoretical point of this stupid exercise is to build rivalries. Chicago blowing the Oilers out of the water does not foster a rivalry since it's not likely to happen again anytime soon.

Today, we are all otaku.

Can't we just seed the top 2 as division winners, then 3-8 be the six highest non division winners, regardless of division. Of course I know Gary Bettman is running this league, so nothing is shocking.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived