Pittsburgh USARL team needs a nickname

Rampart

Mods, feel free to move this to the appropriate forum if it doesn't belong here.

I'm part of a group that's working to bring a rugby league team to Pittsburgh (in it's brand new stadium). As with any type of committee process, deciding on a team nickname has been "trying". Some of the people who have a say in the team name aren't the most creative types and some of their suggestions are better suited for a fantasy football team.

So, I'm coming to the most creative (and opinionated) people that I know looking for ideas.

I'm looking for names that are tough, yet non-offensive. While it's not necessary, I'd like to see something that embodies the City of Pittsburgh, or its people or its history.

I'm not asking for logos to be created, but envision what a logo would look like when you think up any names.

I'll take what you guys can give me and submit them to the rest of the board. I'll let you know what they come up with for comparison.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Even though it was briefly used in the USFL, I think "Maulers" would be a perfect fit for rugby league in Pittsburgh.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Pittsburgh Archers - "Bridge City"

Pittsburgh Pit Bulls / PittBulls(?) (via walkerws) - Both P's. That's all

Pittsburgh Arsenal - I just imagine many weapons made out of steel

Pittsburgh Commoners - William Pitt "The Great Commoner". I'm not too sure about this.

Pittsburgh Panzers(?) - It's German for tank or armor. It sounds cool to me but I can't justify the German connection.

Pittsburgh Pikemen - http://en.wikipedia....i/Pike_(weapon)

Pittsburgh Paladins - Medieval warrior

thundersignature.png

and

sport-scarf_bucs_zpsc424092b.png

Wow. Some great stuff so far. I love the Maulers name, but it's still remembered pretty vividly here. But out of curiosity, what is the status of USFL names? Does anyone currently own the rights?

Keep 'em coming.

I shortened the name to just Hammers. After I registered the pitsburghsledgehammers.com domain name, I realized it was way too long (especially for the email addresses). Also, the person who I was working with at the time registered the name as an LLC. He's no longer involved with the team, but I felt it best to not use it and deal with the LLC mess.

I submitted the following proposal to the board regarding the Hammers identity:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqj54vaxv40c2yz/Pittsburgh%20Rugby%20Identity%20Package%20-%20Hammers.pdf

But it was met with a tepid response. I gave everyone to the end of day Thursday to submit no more than 5 names that they feel strongly about and explain why. I like the Hammers nickname, but I want to explore other options if need be.

Wow. Some great stuff so far. I love the Maulers name, but it's still remembered pretty vividly here. But out of curiosity, what is the status of USFL names? Does anyone currently own the rights?

Keep 'em coming.

Timothy Vest owns 13 of the USFL team names as trademarks, including the Pittsburgh Maulers. Other are owned by another gentleman, Mike Keller, who is CEO of the A11 football league.

Timothy Vest owns 13 of the USFL team names as trademarks, including the Pittsburgh Maulers. Other are owned by another gentleman, Mike Keller, who is CEO of the A11 football league.

Good to know. Thanks for the information.

Pittsburgh Ironmen

This ^^^^^ is a good name, and has heaps of possibilities. Ironsiders (Trucks boats), Ironhides (Steelworkers), Wroughtirons (Steel press workers Welders), Bolters (Bolt Attatchers).

Historical. Yinzars, Triangles, Condors or Hillsiders.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Thanks for all of the ideas. I want to address some of the names, and please tell me if you think I'm being overly anal.

Pittbulls/Pit Bulls - In 1990, The Pittsburgh Bulls debuted in the Major Indoor Lacrosse League (MILL). What many people don't know is that the team was originally called the Pittsburgh Pitt Bulls. Shortly before the season opened, the team had determined not to use the name (there are various reasons that I've heard from a poor showing in a focus group to a child being mauled by a pit bull). They shortened the name to "Bulls" and played for 4 seasons. It's also been the name of a short-lived basketball team. I fear the name has some negative connotations as clever as it is.

Ironmen - Great name. It was the name of a Pittsburgh basketball team in 1946. It's also the nickname of Steel Valley High School in the Pittsburgh area. This is probably the main reason that I wouldn't want to use it. It's a unique name for the high school and I'd like to keep it that way. Also, with the success of the Iron Man movie franchises, I'd probably want to stay away from it.

Arsenal - There was actually an arsenal in Pittsburgh (in the Lawrenceville area). An explosion at the arsenal in 1862 killed 78 people. It was the worst tragedy in Pittsburgh history. Also, there's the soccer team in north London.

Vulcans - When the NHL granted Pittsburgh a new franchise for the 1967-68 season, the team was set to be named the Pittsburgh Pioneers. Point State Park, who uses the name Pioneers, protested and the name was changed to the Penguins (at the suggestion of the owner's wife). Vulcans is also the nickname of California (PA) University. Best not to go there. Also, all I think of is "Spock" when I hear Vulcans.

Some other names that are in the running are:

Pittsburgh Hammers (with the logo artwork in a link in a previous reply)

Pittsburgh Peregrines (as in Peregrine Falcon. The Pittsburgh Aviary has done a tremendous job to help get them of of the endangered list) EDIT: After seeing it in print, it looks like "Pittsburgh Penguins" at a quick glance. Maybe not a good idea.

Pittsburgh Foundry (as much as I hate singular names, this one may have some merit)

Still trying to make the Fort/Fortress name work or somehow give a nod to Fort Pitt and Fort Duquesne.

Thanks, and keep 'em coming.

Let me address a few more.

Industrialists - I like the name and the history, but it's just too many syllables and doesn't roll off the tongue easily.

Blue Collars - Its a good name and embodies the city, but I would feel obligated to put blue in the color scheme and I'd like to keep it to just black and gold.

Forge - was the name of a Pittsburgh junior hockey team recently.

Archers - I see what you're going for, but at first sight I think of someone with a bow and arrow. Bridgers is a good name, but used by local Ambridge High School.

I like Machine, Furnace and Blast (although I dislike singular names)

Ironhides - a Autobot Transformer that turns into a red van (cartoon) or black GMC truck (movie)

Ironsides - A TV detective in a wheelchair played by Raymond Burr in the 60s and 70s.

Archived