Rare team matchups

Two years before their move to the NFC (and getting new uniforms); the Seahawks (in the 1980s-era set) met the St. Louis Rams (year one of the 'modern' set). I have yet to find a pic of this.

aZCQbv2.jpg

4Jnxwmc.jpg

Also odd about this matchup, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that the Rams are using regular block numbers, when they ended up using a different typeface a year later. Furthermore, the Seahawks are the home team here, playing outdoors at Husky Stadium. Here's a link to the Getty page with a few more Seahawks/Rams photos.

I'm not sure what i miss most...those old Seahawks sets, that particular iteration of the Rams' sets (and at any rate the gold pants in general)...or the days before exclusive apparel/uniform contracts and the subsequent proprietary templating/fabric epidemic.

(Coincidentally, both those sets were produced by Puma that year. Funny little coincidence.)

Thanks for the find. :)

ladainian_tomlinson_2006_12_31.jpg

From 2006, the last year of the 1988 set for the Chargers, and year two for the current set for the Cardinals.

The 1988 set had pant stripes, no bolts.

OK, slight change: A slight derivative of their look first introduced in 1988.

UBwef0L.png

LIONS-BILLS.jpg

First year of those Bills uniforms, last year of those Lions uniforms

Good one! That's the second biggest "wow" moment for me on this thread after pewter Bucs vs. old Jets.

PS: How good do the Lions look here? So very, very good.

Put the new lion on that set and we're good.

MartinEarnhardtGordonDaytona2001.jpg

First race for Gordon with the Red & Blue flames, next to last race of Earnhardt's career

nascar-8-dale-earnhardt-jr-4956167.jpg

First year for the Car of Tomorrow in NASCAR & Jr.'s last year at DEI

010314-Nascar-Jeff-Gordon-DG-PI.jpg

Chevy ran the Lumina from 1990-1994, Gordon's rookie year was 1993

24peptnn.jpg

Gordon only ran 6 Busch Series races each year in 1999 & 2000

24looney-rear.jpg

Was a 1 race deal in 2002, but Gordon wrecked the car in Happy Hour, so he had to run his backup in the normal paint scheme.

01usarmy-dei-smith.jpg

Ran the DEI stripes from Watkins Glen on (Mid August) after the DEI-Ginn merger, team was shut down that off season

dhlJpvy.png
rxzieid.png

LIONS-BILLS.jpg

First year of those Bills uniforms, last year of those Lions uniforms

Good one! That's the second biggest "wow" moment for me on this thread after pewter Bucs vs. old Jets.

PS: How good do the Lions look here? So very, very good.

Put the new lion on that set and we're good.

I could take or leave the new logo. That old set was incredible. The only thing keeping it from being perfect (just barely) was how the helmet decals were too dark, not really Honolulu blue. Then again, the Lions STILL haven't figured out how to make decals that aren't royal blue.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

LIONS-BILLS.jpgFirst year of those Bills uniforms, last year of those Lions uniforms

They played each other twice that year, too. Because they always face each other in the peseason, likely the last week, and likely at Ford Field (one of the first few games there it would've been, as well).

TheFallenHaveRisen: Do NASCAR paint scheme cars that were only driven for a season or two count? I've found some rare photos of cars that only were around for a few years.

I'd say the would, but I may be a bit biased. I tried to go with things that didn't even happen for a full year

NASCAR is a different animal altogether - forget "a season or two," there are tons of one race only paint schemes, and I'm not talking about the "special" paint schemes that are run almost every week these days.

Here's one - Richard Petty with his famous... green... #6?

Petty6MonteCarlo1986World600vi.jpg

That's from the 1986 World 600 (now the Coca-Cola 600, of course). The King crashed his #43 in practice, and these were the days before backup cars. Journeyman driver D.K. Ulrich offered to let Petty drive his car to continue his streak of races started (I'm sure Ulrich got a few bucks out of the deal as well), they slapped some STP decals on the green #6 and went racing.

Another that's NASCAR but also more appropriate for the thread. What's this grainy screencap?

gordonpetty_zps5deca9b9.png

That's from the 1992 Hooters 500 in Atlanta (possibly the best NASCAR race of all-time), the only time Richard Petty and Jeff Gordon raced against each other. It was Petty's last race and Jeff Gordon's first Winston Cup start, and one of the few times during the race that their cars were near each other.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Yeah, you could probably make an entire thread on those planned one time only paint schemes. I didn't want to hijack this thread with a million "special" paint schemes, but thought the Richard Petty #6 and the Petty/Gordon "matchup" was relevant enough to include.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png