Rare team matchups

It was brought up in the Charlotte Hornets thread.

What are some rare matchups that only existed briefly (one or two seasons) before one of the teams moved/renamed?

Examples are Brooklyn Nets vs. New Orleans Hornets, Charlotte Bobcats vs. New Orleans Pelicans (If it happens)

Minnesota North Stars (moved 1993) vs. San Jose Sharks (expansion 1991)

LawtonSharks.jpg

EDIT: Not sure if they ever played each other, but the Charlotte Hornets and the Memphis Grizzlies spent the 2001-02 season in the league together. Also, Houston Oilers vs. Carolina Panthers (Did it happen?)

• Like 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

It was brought up in the Charlotte Hornets thread.

What are some rare matchups that only existed briefly (one or two seasons) before one of the teams moved/renamed?

Examples are Brooklyn Nets vs. New Orleans Hornets, Charlotte Bobcats vs. New Orleans Pelicans (If it happens)

Minnesota North Stars (moved 1993) vs. San Jose Sharks (expansion 1991)

EDIT: Not sure if they ever played each other, but the Charlotte Hornets and the Memphis Grizzlies spent the 2001-02 season in the league together. Also, Houston Oilers vs. Carolina Panthers (Did it happen?)

Interesting that I am pretty sure that is Brian Lawton in that picture. #1 overall pick (over people like Steve Yzerman) who wore #98 because he was going to be just a notch below Greztky. He switched his number after about a year. I did not realize he played for San Jose, so I was thinking he may have been one of the players that the Sharks got in the deal not to move the North Stars (the Gunds) a few years prior to the actual move, but it looks like Lawton bounced around between.

I wonder what would have become of the North Stars had they drafted Stevie Y.

As for this thread there is a similar thread based on uniforms...the photo of the old jets vs. current bucs uniforms was the most surprising....

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

No pics, but the St. Louis (Football) Cardinals played the Indianapolis Colts in 1984: http://www.pro-footb...98409160clt.htm

Also, Carolina Panthers vs. Tampa Bay Bucs (Creamsicle) circa mid-1990s:

harris-car95.jpg

Though, with their now being in the same division, the Bucs wearing the Creamsicles at least once a year, and the Panthers' uniforms remaining virtually untouched, it's likely that we'll basically see this matchup once again.

EDIT: Here's one from the last few years:

134858640_display_image.jpg?1331045854

What about the Rams' (virtually) current drab uniforms vs. the Bills' 2000s monstrosities, circa 2001-02?

All right, no moves/rebrandings here, but still somewhat in topic.

Edited by DustDevil61
  • Like 1

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I guess Charlotte Bobcats vs. New Orleans Pelicans will be rare, NBA vote pending.

Also, Tennessee Oilers vs. anyone.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Brisbane bears vs fitsroy lions (Aussie rules) not really rare but they played against each other for a number of years before merging to become the Brisbane lions in 1996

Both teams would have also played Fremantle dockers in their first season, 1995

Orange Crush Broncos taking on the Jaguars in the 1996 playoffs.

353819_display_image_original_original_display_image.jpg?1331769166

I remember this game not because it was only Jacksonville's second season and they weren't supposed to do as well as they did but because some lineman for the Broncos (I don't even necessarily remember if it was offensive or defensive) didn't get off the field in time before the next play started, costing them a penalty very late in the game. Now that I'm thinking about it, I believe it was a defensive lineman and this was during Jacksonville's last scoring drive that put the game out of reach for Denver. What I remember vividly was 1) how orange the guy's uniform looked as he was walking off the field, even in artificial light; and 2) the broadcasters laying into the lineman calling him lazy, etc. for not getting off the field fast enough. (Admittedly, he did walk off the field; he didn't hustle at all and Mark Brunell was quick enough on the snap to get a penalty out of it.)