Rare team matchups

From the aforementioned Hornets thread:

Save 'em now before they get 404'd on the web!!!

130312215324-0021200951-noh-bkn-recap.main-video-player.jpgnetsrunningweb13s-2-web.jpgvsNOH-pgal-01.jpg

0d7aaf22-7ad2-445b-8c68-b42154d68c92.jpg

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

It would seem like a lot of these occur in the NBA, as relocations seemed to almost always come in twos:

1962 - Philadelphia Warriors to San Franscico Warriors

1963 - Syracuse Nationals to Philadelphia 76ers

Any matchup between the San Francisco Warriors and Syracuse Nationals was a one-season deal.

1971 - San Diego Rockets to Houston Rockets

1972 - Cincinnati Royals to Kansas City(-Omaha) Kings

Any matchup between the Houston Rockets and Cincinnati Royals was a one-season deal.

1978 - Buffalo Braves to San Diego Clippers

1979 - New Orleans Jazz to Utah Jazz

Any matchup between the San Diego Clippers and New Orleans Jazz was a one-season deal. I was at one of those (the New Orleans home game) and remember it well. We had floor seats behind the basket. My stepdad was heckling Lloyd Free all night (this was before he changed his name to "World B. Free"). At one point Free made a basket (on our end of the court) and looked straight at my stepdad, then turning down court “shot him the bird” behind his back while he hustled back on defense.

1984 - San Diego Clippers to L.A. Clippers

1985 - Kansas City Kings to Sacamento Kings

Any matchup between the L.A. Clippers and Kansas City Kings was a one-season deal

2001 - Vancouver Grizzlies to Memphis Grizzlies

2002 - Charlotte Hornets to New Orleans Hornets

Any matchup between the Memphis Grizzlies and (original) Charlotte Hornets was a one-season deal

2012 - New Jersey Nets to Brooklyn Nets

2013 - New Orleans Hornets to New Orleans Pelicans

Only 2 matchups between the Brooklyn Nets and New Orleans Hornets. No indication in the photo, but I made a point of being at that game:

Brooklyn.jpg

Also, not in the "group of twos" scenario, but any team vs.the Chicago Packers (named that for 1 season only, 1961-62) or Chicago Zephyrs (renamed that for only season, 1962-63) were rare matchups. They became the Baltimore Bullets, and after ten years moved to the Capital Centre and changed their name to the Capital Bullets for only one season (1973-74), so any NBA team matchup against the Capital Bullets is rare. There was also only one season of matchups between the Baltimore Bullets and Kansas City-Omaha Kings.

Any NBA team playing the New York Nets only did so for one season (1976-77) as they entered the NBA from the ABA that season, then became the New Jersey Nets in the fall of 1977. With Buffalo's move to San Diego in 1978, that also means that the Buffalo Braves and New Jersey Nets only met for one season.

It is what it is.

1995 in the Australian Football League. it was the inaugral season for the Fremantle Dockers, and the last season for the Fitzroy Lions, before they merged with the Brisbane Bears to form the Brisbane Lions in 1996.

Here is a video of the aftermath of the match, which was also Fitzroy's last match in the AFL:

http://youtu.be/G3zU8-Sir0E

Brooklyn.jpg

So which are you? The white guy with the beer or the white guy with the beer?

Since one of those guys is wearing an LSU sweatshirt and B-Rich is from Louisiana, I'm going to say he's most certainly the white guy with the beer.

More of a rare jersey match up. Canucks only wore the skate logo for the first 2 years of the Ave's being in the NHL

mclean.jpg

Hmm, I wonder if the canucks ever wore that salmon coloured third jersey against the avs.

More of a rare jersey match up. Canucks only wore the skate logo for the first 2 years of the Ave's being in the NHL

mclean.jpg

Hmm, I wonder if the canucks ever wore that salmon coloured third jersey against the avs.

Possibly, but it took my 20 min just to find this picture.

Brooklyn.jpg

So which are you? The white guy with the beer or the white guy with the beer?

Since one of those guys is wearing an LSU sweatshirt and B-Rich is from Louisiana, I'm going to say he's most certainly the white guy with the beer.

But how can you know the other white guy with beer isn't from Louisiana? There are other white guys with beer from around the states that are LSU fans.

• Like 1