The Road to Omaha: The 2013 NCAA Baseball Tournament Thread

Seadragon76

It's that time again folks. The Road to Omaha begins with the announcement of the sixteen regional hosts for the first round. They are, as follows:

-Cal State Fullerton

-Florida State

-Indiana

-LSU

-Louisville

-Kansas State

-Mississippi State

-North Carolina

-North Carolina State

-Oregon

-Oregon State

-South Carolina

-UCLA

-Vanderbilt

-Virginia

-Virginia Tech

The rest of the field and the matchups will be announced later today, but for now: What do you think? Anyone you thought was more deserving to host a regional?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oklahoma isn't hosting g a regional? Is this only because of the tornado?

Not really. While Oklahoma did well (40 wins and a Big 12 tourny title), the NCAA's criteria for hosting a regional is based upon how a team did in the regular season and to distribute them evenly in a geographic sense.

They may of thought that the Sooners weren't as impressive as say, Virginia Tech. Although, if you think about it... If it wasn't for the Hokies reaching the ACC title game, they wouldn't be a regional host.

Do Big Ten teams typically host regionals? If so, Indiana is a surprise.

No. But the Hoosiers have been good this year (or at least have not lost as many games as is typical for a Big Ten team).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Do Big Ten teams typically host regionals? If so, Indiana is a surprise.

Purdue did last year. Only difference is that Purdue had their regional at a neutral site (Gary, Indana) while Indiana will actually be at home for the regional.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, the brackets... First part of this is the 8 national seeds. These teams would host Super Regionals and would NOT meet each other until they reach Omaha

1. North Carolina

2. Vanderbilt

3. Oregon State

4. LSU

5. Cal State Fullerton

6. Virginia

7. Florida State

8. Oregon

Now with that done, the regionals. It will be shown as the Super Regional matchups:

Chapel Hill Regional

-North Carolina vs. Canisus

-Towson vs. Florida Atlantic

Columbia Regional

-South Carolina vs. Saint Louis

-Liberty vs. Clemson

Raleigh Regional

-NC State vs. Binghamton

-William & Mary vs. Ole Miss

Eugene Regional

-Oregon vs. South Dakota State

-San Francisco vs. Rice

Fullerton Regional

-Cal State Fullerton vs. Columbia

-New Mexico vs. Arizona State

Los Angeles Regional

-UCLA vs. San Diego State

-San Diego vs. Cal Poly

Blacksburg Regional

-Virginia Tech vs. UConn

-Coastal Carolina vs. Oklahoma

Baton Rouge Regional

-LSU vs. Jackson State

-Sam Houston State vs. UL Lafayette

Nashville Regional

-Vanderbilt vs. East Tennessee State

-Illinois vs. Georgia Tech

Louisville Regional

-Louisville vs. Bowling Green

-Oklahoma State vs. Miami (Florida)

Bloomington Regional

-Indiana vs. Valparaiso

-Florida vs. Austin Peay

Tallahassee Regional

-Florida State vs. Savannah State

-Troy vs. Alabama

Charlottesville Regional

-Virginia vs. Army

-Elon vs. UNC Wilmington

Starksville Regional

-Mississippi State vs. Central Arkansas

-Mercer vs. South Alabama

Manhattan Regional

-Kansas State vs. Wichita State

-Bryant vs. Arkansas

Corvallis Regional

-Oregon State vs. UTSA

-UC Santa Barbara vs. Texas A&M

Gamecocks have a tough road with Clemson in their own regional and then being paired up with the UNC regional. Hope we can come up with some kind of magic quickly, because I haven't seen enough to show me we can get back to the CWS this year.

Also, the committee is just dying for UNC to finally live up to the preseason expectations set for them each year for this postseason...because no way should they have got the overall #1 seed over Vanderbilt. Then they draw probably the weakest regional possible.

UNC won their regular season and tournament titles in what many consider the toughest baseball conference in the nation. We should soon find out who should have been what.

Not sure how closely you follow college baseball, but "they" say that every year. They still implode in the postseason along with FSU...then where does that argument leave you?

At any rate, Vandy & LSU were at the top of the polls before conference tournament play...UNC won theirs and Vandy/LSU both made it to the finals. Besides, no one takes conference tournaments seriously except the conferences where that is your only ticket in.

I follow college baseball quite a bit. Don't recall Vandy winning a national title either, but I might have missed it. Not sure I would say UNC implodes when they consistently make the final 8. Two runner up's doesn't sound like imploding either. All it takes is one hot pitcher and your run is over. I recall, in other college sports, folks talking about teams not being able to win the big one until they did. All it takes is one year.

As for no one taking conference tourneys seriously...never heard that. Sure looked like the players took it seriously to me. I wouldn't want my players/team to ever take the field and not take the game seriously.

UNC won their regular season and tournament titles in what many consider the toughest baseball conference in the nation. We should soon find out who should have been what.

Not sure how closely you follow college baseball, but "they" say that every year. They still implode in the postseason along with FSU...then where does that argument leave you?

At any rate, Vandy & LSU were at the top of the polls before conference tournament play...UNC won theirs and Vandy/LSU both made it to the finals. Besides, no one takes conference tournaments seriously except the conferences where that is your only ticket in.

I follow college baseball quite a bit. Don't recall Vandy winning a national title either, but I might have missed it. Not sure I would say UNC implodes when they consistently make the final 8. Two runner up's doesn't sound like imploding either. All it takes is one hot pitcher and your run is over. I recall, in other college sports, folks talking about teams not being able to win the big one until they did. All it takes is one year.

As for no one taking conference tourneys seriously...never heard that. Sure looked like the players took it seriously to me. I wouldn't want my players/team to ever take the field and not take the game seriously.

I was talking about the selection committee. It is hardly weighted in the grand scheme of things. Of course the players take it seriously...but you will often see lazy pitching matchups and conservative lineup in the conference tourneys.

North Carolina lost their regional as a national seed last year. When they have got out of the Supers, they usually play dead at the CWS. They have trouble sealing the deal. Florida State kind of does the same thing as of late. I'm not saying either of these teams are sorry baseball teams, just that they haven't lived up the hype they get preseason.

Ehh...baseball is mostly a crapshoot by design, and that's only exacerbated in a double elimination tournament full of 1 shot games. I'm not sure how much you can honestly read into failing to do well once a team reaches Omaha.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I barely follow college baseball (who in the Big Ten does?) but it's nice to see Illinois make it, especially since they came in fifth in the Big Ten. This is the first time since 2000 that the Big Ten put multiple teams in the tournament two in consecutive years.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Wow, I'm shocked Louisville hosting a regional despite flaming out of the Big East Tournament as the overall #1 seed. Hopefully Coach Mac knows what he's doing and take the Cards to the CWS. I see Louisville winning the regional and facing Vanderbilt in the Super Regional.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I know there's a few teams that got hosed... and the case I made for Utah Valley last year can be said for Campbell.

This is a team that won the Big South regular season championship AND made the conference tourny's title game, where they lose to Liberty... yet, Coastal Carolina gets an at-large bid and not the Fighting Camels.

What's up with that?!?

Archived