Colleges "Stealing" Professional Wordmarks/Logos

rmackman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

No, they didn't. We talked about it before (maybe even in this thread?) when the designer died. One Howard student paper claimed they had it first, but it was wrong.

EDIT: Just checked - it was indeed this very thread.

His artistic creation did not go unnoticed but instead was coveted. It was so highly favored that the professional football team the Buffalo Bills took the design for their own. Since Howard did not have the logo copyrighted, it was lost to the Bills.

Yeah, that's like Georgia's claim: not true.

The Bills logo was designed by NFL Properties.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130408/CITYANDREGION/130409304/1004

Va Tech did an Astros-inspired look:Wright_2041.jpgVirginia/White Sox (pic 3)CWS_UVA.jpg

I saw NC State also wearing that White Sox inspired jersey the other day.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Va Tech did an Astros-inspired look:Wright_2041.jpgVirginia/White Sox (pic 3)CWS_UVA.jpg

I saw NC State also wearing that White Sox inspired jersey the other day.

Almost all of Adidas schools have either the White Sox 80's template or the rainbow guts template.

Gothamite wrote:

Very similar? Aside from the helmet decals, it's a direct lift.

Wasn't it a deliberate choice to look like the Steelers? How does that not count?

You can say that they got permission, as Georgia and Grambling did with the Packers' logo, but the intent was clearly there.

Iowa coach Hayden Fry wanted his team to look like winners, so they adopted the Steelers' look during Pittsburgh's "heyday" or shortly thereafter.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Archived