Seattle Metropolitans Concept (Updated)

speedy

Continuing my series of teams that used to exist, that no longer do, that maybe will again - I give you the Seattle Metropolitans.

I know, I know - I used the Space Needle. Mind Blowing. Sure, it's not the most original thing out there, but the team is called the Metropolitans after all. Adding some continuation, the Mets "S" makes a return to the shoulders, albeit more stylized.

The color scheme is simple, the original Mets scheme is currently in service in Minnesota. No other team in the NHL uses just green and white. Dallas tried, but they couldn't resist the black. So, while there would be 3 teams using green at home, they'd all be unique in one way or another.

Logos_zps6b8b9375.png

Numbers_zpsfe687a99.png

The uniforms strive to be as simple as the design. No frills, just a classic hockey sweater.

Uniforms_zpsb8ed4b1c.png

Thoughts?

The rest of the series can be seen here (Hamilton), and here (Quebec).

Also, on the bottom of the cityscape, there's a bit of dead space. I would suggest maybe adding a small wave to reflect the city's marine aspect.

I would also like to see some reference to Seattle's marine aspect. A wave at the bottom would be a nice addition, but if properly executed. Other than changing the crest a little bit (so it doesn't look too similar to Minnesota), it's a great concept.

2zdohky.jpg

I also saw Starbucks (some Seattle fans may take issue w/ that aspect...but that's for another thread!), and I love where this concept is headed. I agree that a wave would be perfect marine representation. That may open the door for an accent color, preferably a deep sky blue or any shade to that effect. [447]

Very nice execution. Love the green and white. The roundel needs to be different as said above. Also, on the bottom of the cityscape, there's a bit of dead space. I would suggest maybe adding a small wave to reflect the city's marine aspect.

I feel like this would create a visual of a tidal wave or a flood.

Very nice execution. Love the green and white. The roundel needs to be different as said above. Also, on the bottom of the cityscape, there's a bit of dead space. I would suggest maybe adding a small wave to reflect the city's marine aspect.

I feel like this would create a visual of a tidal wave or a flood.

Not if done right, and subtle. Something similar to this:890.gif

As much as I'd like to see an accent color, Minnesota has red, Dallas has silver, Vancouver uses blue with their scheme. Gold may be nice, but when the Sonics return, they'll be looking the same. I think in this case, the 2 color identity works.

sig.png

Here's an update. I added a second green to truly make it unique and stray away from the Starbucks comparisons - which I also saw. The wave idea was good, but so far I just haven't found a way to place it to my liking. Instead, I tried to make the roundel look more like a subtle life preserver. Jersey stays the same minus the addition of the second green.

Logos_zpsb8a97ca3.png

Uniforms_zps1443c4af.png

Upgrade/downgrade?

Well, I'll post my comments. I got gripes.

No problem with the Sky needle on a "Metro" logo. Its a natural in the end.

I think Metropolitains is too long a name in our era. In a previous "What if.." concept series, I made a Seattle Metros concept. I thought Metros sounded cool, being clearly a reference to the Metropolitains.

I don't like the 2 tone green. I suppose I am a minority as nobody seems to dislike it. Sorry. Why not go green and blue? Would be exclusive and looking freaking good, like the Whalers did.

Despite being 2 tone green instead of green and black, your home looks like the new Dallas home, not too much, but still, I think there's gotta be a way to make it more "different".

But I your work is detailed and nice. No offence.

I think they would be called the Metros, with their official name being the Metropolitans. No one would actually ever called them that.

As far as green and blue, I was personally thinking that it would be too close to the Canucks and may be considered a rip off, but the Canucks are primarily blue. I think if the blue was different enough and used as strictly a secondary color, it would work.

That being said, I still prefer the double green. It works well in the Emerald City.

sig.png

Archived