Best football helmet decal designs?

HOOVER

Hi guys,

I just posted in the Requests forum a request for any interested designers to help us come up with a new set of helmet decals for our matte black helmets at the high school at which I coach. It got me to thinking: what are some of the nicest, most original helmet decal sets you've seen? Aside from the timeless NFL classics (and not-so-classics), what have you seen that's really caught your eye and impressed you? Post your favorite helmet designs below!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ones that I've always liked:

Iowa Hawkeyes

Washington State "WSC"

Arizona State trident

Oregon's "O"

Virginia Tech's "VT"

Texas' Longhorn

Houston Texan's "bull"

Atlanta Falcons

Arizona Cardinals

Houston Gamblers (USFL)

Denver Gold (USFL)

Michigan Panthers (USFL)

Arizona Wranglers (USFL)

Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers (USFL)

The St. Louis Rams, Philly Eagles and the Princeton/Michigan Wing designs are technically decals, I guess.

I would add the Washington Redskin feather-back decal of the early 1960s.

Like the Texas Longhorn, these are all designed specifically for the helmet and are not general logos attached as decals.

LehQRaC.png

The Seahawks jumped from pretty high on my list to the top when they corrected a 36 year wrong.

New-Seahawks-Helmet-2.jpg

of course the rest of the helmet is ruined with the goofy thing on the front and the half-matte finish, but this thread is about best decals.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Seahawks jumped from pretty high on my list to the top when they corrected a 36 year wrong.

of course the rest of the helmet is ruined with the goofy thing on the front and the half-matte finish, but this thread is about best decals.

Graphically, connecting the hawk heads works better, no question. But now, instead of depicting a bird head from a totem pole, the Seahawks appear to have a two-headed worm thing splattered on the back of their helmet.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Graphically, connecting the hawk heads works better, no question. But now, instead of depicting a bird head from a totem pole, the Seahawks appear to have a two-headed worm thing splattered on the back of their helmet.

OR we're now looking at the back of the totem pole. Totem poles don't have random 1" gaps on the back between the two sides of the bird head. The way they have it now is more correct.

It was always implied that the two were supposed to meet otherwise what was the point of wrapping all the way around to the back of the helmet? The change was one of the few correct choices the Seahawks made in their recent redesign.

PvO6ZWJ.png

OR we're now looking at the back of the totem pole. Totem poles don't have random 1" gaps on the back between the two sides of the bird head. The way they have it now is more correct.

It was always implied that the two were supposed to meet otherwise what was the point of wrapping all the way around to the back of the helmet? The change was one of the few correct choices the Seahawks made in their recent redesign.

It works better for the way helmets are constructed now. But when the logo first appeared in the 70's almost all football helmets had a one inch wide ridge running down the center. Most helmet stripes were/are designed around that feature... I don't think we'd have the stripes on the Colts, Steelers, Raiders, or even the Packers if helmets traditionally didn't have that ridge. The first Seahawk helmets had logos that dead-ended against that ridge in the back... that's why the gap was there, and IMO it looked good and made sense, then. Now, however, that gap is just a relic (most players today probably have never worn a helmet with that ridge) so having the logo meet in the back makes sense.

Archived