NHL Metropolitan Division

JCRGraphix

When the Jackets first started playing attendance was through the roof. Attendance was through the roof the season they made the playoffs. It's a market that's proven that it can support a team. Unlike Phoenix, which still struggled with attendance a season removed from a Western Conference Finals run. The Jackets have loyal fans, a community that's willing to support them if the team meets them halfway, and a market that the NHL should have a presence in anyway (Ohio). In a league that includes the Phoenix Coyotes of Arizona and the Florida Panthers you want to talk about moving the Blue Jackets? Child please.

Gee....sounds a lot like the Thrashers, yet everyone was wanting them out of Atlanta.

The Thrashers set attendance records for an expansion team, and sold out most of their games in their lone playoff season. Hell, the team was actually turning a profit under Turner's watch. And even though it doesn't snow often here, the nation's 8th-largest media market is definitely large enough to have an NHL team.

It's like the fact of "the ownership never wanted the team and wouldn't sell them to a buyer that wanted to keep the team in the same arena" just fell over deaf ears. The Thrashers could have made money and the Atlanta Spirit still wouldn't have wanted the team nor want them playing in their building.

I seem to recall reflecting in one of these threads the thing that hacked me off the most about losing Atlanta was the fact I felt Atlanta was the most (only?) salvageable markets of the 3 NHL tire fires (Atlanta, Phoenix, Florida presented by Crystal Waters Retirement Community)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Columbus was 28th in attendance. Even if that above statement is true, they just don't go out and support the team.

500 people per game is all that separates Columbus from Winnipeg, who sell out every game.

Cool story bro, next tell me about how awesome MLS attendance is

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Columbus was 28th in attendance. Even if that above statement is true, they just don't go out and support the team.

500 people per game is all that separates Columbus from Winnipeg, who sell out every game.

Cool story bro, next tell me about how awesome MLS attendance is

To do that, I would have to acknowledge its existence. The most I've ever watched of a soccer game was:

220px-Ladybugs_poster.jpg

Columbus is a fine city. The NHL has far more cities that need to relocated than the Jackets.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I seem to recall reflecting in one of these threads the thing that hacked me off the most about losing Atlanta was the fact I felt Atlanta was the most (only?) salvageable markets of the 3 NHL tire fires (Atlanta, Phoenix, Florida presented by Crystal Waters Retirement Community)

100% pure applesauce.

Atlanta was the most salvageable market in terms of conceptual things like demographics, business community, media market size, but it was the least salvageable in terms of concrete things like "they were evicted by their own ownership group."

That said, Metro division is a kind of silly name. But someone elsewhere mentioned the old NFL Capitol Division. Metro is sort of lame and prevents future Seattle team from becoming the Seattle Metropolitans after their Stanley Cup team -- which was unlikely anyway -- but...save for that, we'll get used to it. I mean, the old named divisions are never coming back. Especially not with Bettman around.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

^I couldn't even watch the Sporting vs, Real game about 2 days ago because it was on MLS Direct Kick.

Sounds like a great Champions League match, but we're discussing U.S. soccer here.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

^I couldn't even watch the Sporting vs, Real game about 2 days ago because it was on MLS Direct Kick.

Sounds like a great Champions League match, but we're discussing U.S. soccer here.

KC vs Salt Lake City, but we're discussing US hockey here

KC vs Salt Lake City, but we're discussing US hockey here

Cleveland vs Columbus, but we're discussing divisions here

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

I say move Phoenix to Seattle, Florida to Quebec City, expand to Markham, expand either KC, Milwaukee or Portland. The move Detroit back west. Then just make 4 divisions of 8.

Pacific:

Vancouver

Edmonton

Calgary

Seattle

San Jose

LA

Anaheim

Colorado

Midwest:

Detroit

Nashville

Minnesota

St.Louis

Kansas City

Dallas

Chicago

Winnipeg

Central

Toronto

Montreal

Boston

Ottawa

Markham

Buffalo

Columbus

Quebec City

Atlantic

New York Rangers

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

New Jersey

Washington

Carolina

Tampa Bay

New York Islanders

Holy hell, how about no. Phoenix to Quebec City and Detroit to the West. Its that simple. Now I really understand the OITGDNHL acronym.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Why do people KEEP bringing up KC as a possible expansion location?!?! They have no prospective owners, and the city said they would probably lose money if a team came in to the Sprint Center.

I'm pretty sure that bankrupting a city is the end goal of Bettman, so KC should definitely be in the running.

I'm pretty sure that bankrupting a city is the end goal of Bettman, so KC should definitely be in the running.

He must be really happy about Detroit, then, if that is the case.

The Red Wings have been demanding a replacement for Joe Lewis Arena.

Today, we are all otaku.

Part of their demand is for the NHL to realign the schedule so that they play all their games at home. If you have to play 50% of your games on the road, how do you expect anyone to go to them???

The Red Wings have been demanding a replacement for Joe Lewis Arena.

Already approved and ready to go. $650 million to replace a building that doesn't crucially need replacing in a bankrupt, poverty-stricken city where 1/3 of the ambulances work, 100,000 abandoned buildings and the emergency response time is 58 minutes. Solid plan.

sig.png

Archived