NHL Metropolitan Division

JCRGraphix

Maybe not Cleveland, but there are other cities that likely would support the Jacks more than Columbus.

Show me a city who would support 12 years of losing and horrible management. I'll wait.

Maybe a Canadian city, although they likely would have burned down the arena and put management to the sword by now.

Columbus was getting decent attendance for video game simulations of games during the most recent lockout. They stay.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Columbus's highly admirable support of the first four seasons of terrible Beej hockey (to say nothing of subsequent post-lockout years of terrible Beej hockey) is why the Seattle people, with their "you'd better give us an existing team, I don't think we have it in us to watch an expansion team" garbage, pissed me off so royally.

I don't know, though, it's hard to feel one way or the other about Columbus. It's not the affront to decent hockey sensibilities that Nashville, Raleigh, or Florida are, and certainly not the dumpster fire that Phoenix is, but it's not a slam dunk. It just is. They're doing fine enough, it just never would have occurred to me in a hundred years to stick a team there with all the other places out there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Markham?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No. A second Toronto team will NEVER work. The Leafs could block the move on their own, and likely would, too. They have a legal monopoly on pro hockey in one of, if not the, most hockey crazed markets in the world. Why would they voluntarily give that up?

Expansion fee, territorial rights fee/TV fees (a la Orioles/Nats) and other fees they could charge the expansion team for just existing, somewhat like Harold Ballard's efforts against the Toronto Toros in the 1970s. Dolla dolla bills, y'all.

A second Toronto team will NEVER work.

I swear I made this argument to you years ago and you disagreed. Glad to see you've come around. :D

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Markham?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No. A second Toronto team will NEVER work. The Leafs could block the move on their own, and likely would, too. They have a legal monopoly on pro hockey in one of, if not the, most hockey crazed markets in the world. Why would they voluntarily give that up?

Expansion fee, territorial rights fee/TV fees (a la Orioles/Nats) and other fees they could charge the expansion team for just existing, somewhat like Harold Ballard's efforts against the Toronto Toros in the 1970s. Dolla dolla bills, y'all.

And that it what it is all about.

I swear I made this argument to you years ago and you disagreed. Glad to see you've come around. :D

I figured as a Leafs fan outside the GTA he was always skeptical of anyone trying in vain to challenge the Leafs. Even I, who have been accused of wanting every team in Canada (why? I am a Blackhawks fan), was solidly against Hamilton for the same no-chance-once-the-Leafs-are-good-again reasons. And hey, look who's good again.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Markham?

All short term. Sure the Leafs would get a huge territorial fee buyout, but that's a one time payment. It isn't the 1970s anymore, and the new team wouldn't be in a rival league. After that initial payment the Leafs couldn't charge them "for just existing." They'd have their own arena, and likely their own tv deals. And after that initial payment they'd be free to try and carve out a section of southern Ontario's hockey fandom for themselves. How much they'd manage to get is up for debate but if you're MLSE why risk it? Why give up your stranglehold on the market for a short term payment? Especially when you're MLSE and don't need the money.

Live, learn, and grow, man ;)

You're still wrong about the Royal family though :P

I figured as a Leafs fan outside the GTA he was always skeptical of anyone trying in vain to challenge the Leafs. Even I, who have been accused of wanting every team in Canada (why? I am a Blackhawks fan), was solidly against Hamilton for the same no-chance-once-the-Leafs-are-good-again reasons. And hey, look who's good again.

I was never for a second team within the GTA, but I thought Hamilton could work once upon a time. Until I realized that the same reasons it wouldn't work in Markham applied to Hamilton.

I find the statement about Clevelanders being antagonistic towards hockey just downright weird. They're bordered by established success in two markets within a four hour drive and are surrounded by hockey fans in Michigan and Pennslyvania. You would think they'd be ideal for an NHL franchise, yet their inability to hang onto one is very perplexing.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

I find the statement about Clevelanders being antagonistic towards hockey just downright weird. They're bordered by established success in two markets within a four hour drive and are surrounded by hockey fans in Michigan and Pennslyvania. You would think they'd be ideal for an NHL franchise, yet their inability to hang onto one is very perplexing.

Also, the Lake Erie Monsters are doing well in AHL attendance.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Wasn't part of the rationale for putting the Blue Jackets in Columbus was to appeal to all of Ohio?

I went to a couple games a year while I lived in Dayton (well, except in 04-05 of course).

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I think it's hard to judge a market that doesn't have a "home" team. In just about every market, there are fans of the "sport", who could sit around and watch the Flin Flon major junior minor squirt league games, and you have people who will cheer for any team or anything with their city's name on the chest. The thing is making sure that the population of chest thumpers has the means to attend expensive basketball and hockey games, or can have their support of the basketball team stolen by the new hockey team. Additionally, you need to get the entire community to buy in, and have the powerplays sponsored, the intermission sponsored, the broadcasts sponsored, etc (and a radio / tv network that will cooperate.) It's a lot more than "people like hockey there". I don't know anything about cleveland (other than that if you're not from there, you just won't understand), but I'm assuming that there's a reason there's no team there - most likely because nobody has interest in bringing one there because nobody feels like it will make money. Has very little to do with the fans enthusiasm - mostly their pockets.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think it's hard to judge a market that doesn't have a "home" team. In just about every market, there are fans of the "sport", who could sit around and watch the Flin Flon major junior minor squirt league games, and you have people who will cheer for any team or anything with their city's name on the chest. The thing is making sure that the population of chest thumpers has the means to attend expensive basketball and hockey games, or can have their support of the basketball team stolen by the new hockey team. Additionally, you need to get the entire community to buy in, and have the powerplays sponsored, the intermission sponsored, the broadcasts sponsored, etc (and a radio / tv network that will cooperate.) It's a lot more than "people like hockey there". I don't know anything about cleveland (other than that if you're not from there, you just won't understand), but I'm assuming that there's a reason there's no team there - most likely because nobody has interest in bringing one there because nobody feels like it will make money. Has very little to do with the fans enthusiasm - mostly their pockets.

Good points made, with the best one bolded. I've never liked that rationale when sports fans get into meandering debates about markets that "deserve" a franchise more than others. Sports are businesses, first and foremost and no market "deserves" anything more than anyone else. Save the elitism for another forum.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

When the Jackets first started playing attendance was through the roof. Attendance was through the roof the season they made the playoffs. It's a market that's proven that it can support a team. Unlike Phoenix, which still struggled with attendance a season removed from a Western Conference Finals run. The Jackets have loyal fans, a community that's willing to support them if the team meets them halfway, and a market that the NHL should have a presence in anyway (Ohio). In a league that includes the Phoenix Coyotes of Arizona and the Florida Panthers you want to talk about moving the Blue Jackets? Child please.

Gee....sounds a lot like the Thrashers, yet everyone was wanting them out of Atlanta.

The Thrashers set attendance records for an expansion team, and sold out most of their games in their lone playoff season. Hell, the team was actually turning a profit under Turner's watch. And even though it doesn't snow often here, the nation's 8th-largest media market is definitely large enough to have an NHL team.

It's like the fact of "the ownership never wanted the team and wouldn't sell them to a buyer that wanted to keep the team in the same arena" just fell over deaf ears. The Thrashers could have made money and the Atlanta Spirit still wouldn't have wanted the team nor want them playing in their building.

When the Jackets first started playing attendance was through the roof. Attendance was through the roof the season they made the playoffs. It's a market that's proven that it can support a team. Unlike Phoenix, which still struggled with attendance a season removed from a Western Conference Finals run. The Jackets have loyal fans, a community that's willing to support them if the team meets them halfway, and a market that the NHL should have a presence in anyway (Ohio). In a league that includes the Phoenix Coyotes of Arizona and the Florida Panthers you want to talk about moving the Blue Jackets? Child please.

Gee....sounds a lot like the Thrashers, yet everyone was wanting them out of Atlanta.

The Thrashers set attendance records for an expansion team, and sold out most of their games in their lone playoff season. Hell, the team was actually turning a profit under Turner's watch. And even though it doesn't snow often here, the nation's 8th-largest media market is definitely large enough to have an NHL team.

It's like the fact of "the ownership never wanted the team and wouldn't sell them to a buyer that wanted to keep the team in the same arena" just fell over deaf ears. The Thrashers could have made money and the Atlanta Spirit still wouldn't have wanted the team nor want them playing in their building.

Right, but #Lumbus!

Columbus was 28th in attendance. Even if that above statement is true, they just don't go out and support the team.

500 people per game is all that separates Columbus from Winnipeg, who sell out every game.

Columbus was 28th in attendance. Even if that above statement is true, they just don't go out and support the team.

500 people per game is all that separates Columbus from Winnipeg, who sell out every game.

...though the average ticket price in Winnipeg probably dwarfs that of Columbus, and the Jets could sell a few thousand more per night had they built the arena for the NHL...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Most of all the Atlanta Spirit Group! Bad timing when low fan interest meets an ownership group that wants out meets a NHL commissioner desperate to save his failed experiment out in the desert.

Archived