NHL Metropolitan Division

JCRGraphix

So the NHL just released its new division names, and the division with Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, the New Yorks, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Washington is called the Metropolitan Division. I'm sorry but that is one of the stupidest names that could ever be given to a major sports division. I mean, for the purpose of argument, if you are a small minor league in lets say Ontario and you have one division where all the teams are in the Toronto area, then yes, go ahead and call it the Metropolitan division, but this is the freaking NHL. Every NHL team is in a large metropolitan area.

Holy Crap.

This makes me think of this.

981292_original.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand the reasoning behind it. I mean 5 of the 8 teams are in the NY-Philly-Washington corridor, but yeah. I would've switched Columbus and Pittsburgh with Florida and Tampa Bay, called the Atlantic the Northeast, called the Metropolitan the Atlantic.

There's the Pittsburgh-Philly rivalry and the Pittsburgh-Wash rivalry which is probably why it didn't change, but they are in the same conference still.

Or kept Columbus in the West and have 15 teams in each conference. You've been in the league barely a decade. Stop whining.

sig.png

I understand the reasoning behind it. I mean 5 of the 8 teams are in the NY-Philly-Washington corridor, but yeah. I would've switched Columbus and Pittsburgh with Florida and Tampa Bay, called the Atlantic the Northeast, called the Metropolitan the Atlantic.

There's the Pittsburgh-Philly rivalry and the Pittsburgh-Wash rivalry which is probably why it didn't change, but they are in the same conference still.

Or kept Columbus in the West and have 15 teams in each conference. You've been in the league barely a decade. Stop whining.

You've won 4 Stanley Cups in the current format. Stop whining.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Both of you get back out West and we'll just move Phoenix to the East now to expedite their inevitable demise.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Not Pittsburgh, nor Columbus, nor Raliegh, are metropolises.

All you need is 50,000 people.

Meh, when I hear "Metropolis" I think of "big ass sprawling city" like the Metropolis in Superman. So like New York, or Chicago, or LA, but not a little Burgh like us.

oBIgzrL.png

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WAIT, are you suggesting that Detroit—a city that's further west than Columbus—should be in the East and Columbus should still be in the West?

Let me guess, the next thing you'll tell me is that no other city than Detroit can be a "hockey town." Or maybe you'll keep calling yourself "Hockeytown" when you've struggled to sell out playoff games?

6fQjS3M.png

I think he's a Habs fan. When it comes to Cups, he's been coming up a little short lately! 8D

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would much prefer Detroit to be in the West. I hate how the league left Chicago out to dry. It's important for a team like Columbus to play more road games in their time zone so they could attract more TV viewers, but Detroit is a more established team with one of the strongest fanbases in the league, so the Blue Jackets' situation doesn't really apply to them.

I'm fine with Columbus going to the East while Detroit stays in the west. One of those teams needs to at any rate. Bending to the will of both screwed everything up.

I don't know why people believe Columbus gets the automatic bid east. Geography? Columbus is what... 10-20 miles east of Detroit? The Blackhawks? The Wings owe the Hawks absolutely nothing... I don't get it.

Well, with the current setup, it allows for 2 expansion teams in the West to balance things. As much as the league doesn't necessarily need any new teams, as a fan of sports design, I'd love to see another expansion. How about a team in Seattle, and another team in Glendale, Arizona? I can see it now, the Glendale Garys. Named after of course, the commish...

The funny thing is that the two most lucrative expansion opportunities, Markham and Quebec City, are both in Eastern Time. OITGDNHL!

They should move the Yotes to Seattle, Expand to Markham and Quebec, and move Detroit and Columbus right back to the West. The Wings are already well-established, and nobody in any time zone watches the Jackets, what difference does the realignment really make to them?

The Blackhawks moved their start times up from 7:30 to 7, or 8 Eastern. Would have made things easier for those beleaguered Detroiters who can't stay up to watch games (despite curiously sky-high ratings). I feel like I'm trying to ask the prettiest girl in school to prom here.

I will never understand this. "We can't let the Easterners stay up too late" like seriously, the main audience are adults. You'd think they'd be able to manage sleep patterns.

Not that I care, but it is kinda of annoying when most people get home from work here in Calgary at 530. Toronto and Montreal are both here midweek for 6pm MT starts, not a big deal but maybe it's because I'm not from there. It's not just the NHL, but the catering to Eastern markets is really annoying.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived