NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trust me, you'll have a better life that way. B)

Is this another wack at CS85?

First off, anything I said to CS85 was said in fun. You forget that I like the guy. The last thing I want to do is actually make him mad. If I thought for a second that I'd actually pissed him off, I'd apologize. He was doing the the fake troll thing and so was I. Nothing more. Sorry to get your hopes up.

My comment to Funky Bunky was coming from the perspective of living through "Red Right 88", "The Drive", and "The Fumble." All of which were followed by the team I "lived and died with" picking up and moving to Baltimore. That's what my comment was referring to.

BB52Big.jpg

Jeez, some of the people in the stands and on the sidelines look like they'd want to be anywhere else rather than Lambeau.

They have to be commended by fellow Wisconsians and treated to beer after the game for allowing people locally to see the game from the comforts of their home.

Those stupid blackout rules...

I'm more so exhausted of the same teams having playoff success.

You know, this is absolutely true. For all the circlejerking over NFL parity, it's really been the same old teams at the top for the last 10 to 15 years, with many of the same teams at the bottom, too. How dare anyone talk about parity with the playoff streaks and droughts in this league.

The NFL, more than any other major league, has equality of opportunity. Not of *outcome*, to be sure, but *opportunity*.

If the same x number of teams are always more competitive year in and out, that's because they're superior organizations. They have better executives who choose better players and hire better coaches to maximize that talent. The Packers are a better organization. The Steelers are a better organization. The Patriots, much as I hate them, are a better organization.

Every team starts from the same place. With the same money. What the teams do with that is up to them, and that's where good organizations are separated from the bad.

The Kansas City Royals might hire the smartest baseball people in the world, but that only goes so far when you're competing with teams having payrolls two, six, eight, maybe even ten times the Royals'. Nobody can stay competitive for long with those odds. The Chiefs, on the other hand, only have to worry about being smart. That could keep them near the top of the AFC for the next decade.

That's what we mean when we talk about parity in the NFL. Equality of opportunity, not outcome.

Jeez, some of the people in the stands and on the sidelines look like they'd want to be anywhere else rather than Lambeau.

I was at the Music City Bowl in Nashville earlier in the week. The high was 34 that day, and kickoff was at 3:15pm ET, when it was roughly 32, and with a slight breeze blowing. It wasn't miserable weather, but being in the upper deck of the stadium with the wind blowing in my face was making it annoying.

We stayed until the end (it's bad form to leave a game early, even if you don't have a rooting interest in the game), but we had relocated to the standing-room-only part of the lower deck's end zone area to see the clock strike 0:00, then got out of there in a hurry so we could beat the crowd to the barbeque joint before we went to the hockey game later on.

You have to look at CS85 as my character. I don't like to break kayfabe but I admit I have a tendency to live my gimmick.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm more so exhausted of the same teams having playoff success.

You know, this is absolutely true. For all the circlejerking over NFL parity, it's really been the same old teams at the top for the last 10 to 15 years, with many of the same teams at the bottom, too. How dare anyone talk about parity with the playoff streaks and droughts in this league.

The NFL, more than any other major league, has equality of opportunity. Not of *outcome*, to be sure, but *opportunity*.

If the same x number of teams are always more competitive year in and out, that's because they're superior organizations. They have better executives who choose better players and hire better coaches to maximize that talent. The Packers are a better organization. The Steelers are a better organization. The Patriots, much as I hate them, are a better organization.

Every team starts from the same place. With the same money. What the teams do with that is up to them, and that's where good organizations are separated from the bad.

The Kansas City Royals might hire the smartest baseball people in the world, but that only goes so far when you're competing with teams having payrolls two, six, eight, maybe even ten times the Royals'. Nobody can stay competitive for long with those odds. The Chiefs, on the other hand, only have to worry about being smart. That could keep them near the top of the AFC for the next decade.

That's what we mean when we talk about parity in the NFL. Equality of opportunity, not outcome.

Not entirely true. While every team has the same cap, not every team can afford to put up the up-front money that it takes to get certain players signed to cap-friendly contracts. For example, I don't think Jacksonville can give a player a contract with 50M guaranteed and 30M up front, while teams like the Patriots, Washington, Eagles, Cowboys, Broncos, NY, etc can. Technically they all fit their players in the same cap, but some teams can afford to be more creative than others. Of course, you don't see all of those teams doing that, which validates the point that it's better to be smart than rich, but being rich certainily helps.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived