NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not to say that Manning doesn't deserve any blame, but anyone placing all the blame on him doesn't know :censored: about football.

Now Greg, we've got a podcast in two days. So I don't want to waste any back and forth here. I just want to address two points. The first one's here. I never said Manning deserved all of the blame for what happened tonight. I said he deserved part of the blame. Which I maintain is a fair statement.

As for the second point...

If there's a team in the NFL that could have beaten Seattle tonight, I haven't seen it.

122213-NFL-CARDINALS-SEAHWAKS-PALMER-MCD

:P

With respect, the Seattle team that lost to Arizona at home didn't play nearly as well as the Seattle team that won tonight.

BUT THE BRONCOS THAT PLAYED TONIGHT SHOULD'VE BEEN THE REAL BRONCOS FROM THE FIRST MONTH OF THE SEASON myerp herp derp THEN WE WOULD HAVE SEEN hayerp THE REAL TEAM AND THE REAL BRONCOS WOULD HAVE gerp WON 148302-3 BECAUSE THOSE SEATTLE THUGS herple permaderp SHOULD NOT HAVE WON gerp

I'm sure it's slightly better than 24 hours worth of "Oh god the Bears are so screwed", "oh god, The Steelers, who just took the lead against the Packers mind you, are going to lose because the Bears are so screwed" and so on and so on.

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm sure it's slightly better than 24 hours worth of "Oh god the Bears are so screwed", "oh god, The Steelers, who just took the lead against the Packers mind you, are going to lose because the Bears are so screwed" and so on and so on.

If you're going to insult me at least make it concise, funny, and clever.

But hey, I'm not ungrateful.

WSwZlKz.png

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

WSwZlKz.png

Interesting how you've failed to be any of those three things in your trolling posts poking fun at Broncos fans. Also, none of my posts have led any member of the forum to suggest I take a step back and evaluate how much of an emphasis I place on sports in my life. Expressing disappointment on the level of preparation and intensity my favorite team brought to the Super Bowl, and doing so in a non-depressing way isn't half as bad as...

This is the time of the sports season where I hurl myself off the cliff 1000 times, so my apologies. I die 1000 deaths over the sports gods spitting in my face, even when it turns out to the contrary.

IUe6Hvh.png

WSwZlKz.png

Interesting how you've failed to be any of those three things in your trolling posts poking fun at Broncos fans. Also, none of my posts have led any member of the forum to suggest I take a step back and evaluate how much of an emphasis I place on sports in my life. Expressing disappointment on the level of preparation and intensity my favorite team brought to the Super Bowl, and doing so in a non-depressing way isn't half as bad as...

This is the time of the sports season where I hurl myself off the cliff 1000 times, so my apologies. I die 1000 deaths over the sports gods spitting in my face, even when it turns out to the contrary.

So very true. I may bleed orange and blue, but it really is just a game and a part of life, it's not ALL THERE IS TO LIFE.

I love my team and I always will. Even though I had that 'icky' feeling after the first Broncos snap, I still held out hope up until the Baldwin touchdown, and no, I'm not kidding, I honestly did until that point.

After that it became a very odd mix of emotions, ranging from "Well, I hope they can score, I don't want them to get shut out." to "Well, maybe if this, and this, and this, and this happens, they might be able to make a comeback." to "Losing the Super Bowl isn't so bad, it just sucks to see them get outplayed so badly?"

WSwZlKz.png

So very true. I may bleed orange and blue, but it really is just a game and a part of life, it's not ALL THERE IS TO LIFE.

I love my team and I always will. Even though I had that 'icky' feeling after the first Broncos snap, I still held out hope up until the Baldwin touchdown, and no, I'm not kidding, I honestly did until that point.

After that it became a very odd mix of emotions, ranging from "Well, I hope they can score, I don't want them to get shut out." to "Well, maybe if this, and this, and this, and this happens, they might be able to make a comeback." to "Losing the Super Bowl isn't so bad, it just sucks to see them get outplayed so badly?"

After the safety, I just had a feeling that it wasn't going to go well. Honestly, I'm not upset about the game -- but people questioning Peyton Manning's career has been a . Sorry if I annoyed you, CS... I should've equated that feeling of my favorite team letting me down to cancer as you have before -- perhaps that would've been more acceptable.

IUe6Hvh.png

The biggest surprise was the Seahawks offense. The O-line did not get Russell Wilson sacked and they did not commit any turnovers! They were flawless tonight, but the whole defense dominated. Not just Sherman, not just Malcolm The Bronco Killer, everyone else from Cliff Avril to Kam Chancellor contributed. If there was any game in the season where Percy Harvin had his moment was this game was tonight when he ran the reverse for a first down and took the third quarter kickoff for the score. Russell Wilson deserved to be the offensive MVP of this game if he did not win the award.

What I find interesting is that, tonight, you cannot handle criticism of your team without resorting to unrelated attacks. With me it was "well the Chargers suck. How does it feel to luck into the playoffs?" With Andy/CS it's "well you get overly dramatic about the Bears. You have problems."

For crying out loud. Your team lost bad. People are going to take them to task for a performance Peyton Manning him himself described as more then embarrassing. Roll with the damn punches and try not to lash out personally at every person who says not so nice things about the Denver Broncos.

but people questioning Peyton Manning's career has always kind of gotten to me.
It's way to late and I have to go to bed so I don't feel like going through years of posts, but I wonder if this kind of talk got to you before he became a Bronco.
Anyway guess what? Peyton Manning's a popular, talked about athlete. I can't speak for everyone who doesn't care for the guy, but I myself have tried to limit my criticism to simple observation and fact. I even go so far as to say he's clearly one of the two best of his era, far and away better then most of his contemporaries. I just scuff at the idea of naming him the best of his era. Again, I don't think I'm being unreasonable in outlining my case for why I think that.

WSwZlKz.png

Riveting post, compelling and rich. Everybody knows that I'm manic-depressive about my sports teams, but I congratulate you on being above such characteristics.

"Sports doesn't matter so much to me *sips brandy from snifter*, you see, I'm a man of refined sports emotions. When my favorite teams are utterly destroyed on the world's stage, I have the decency, sir, to remove myself from the frothing throng of ape-like shouting. It is not the conduct of a gentleman to brazenly display real feelings or betray my emotional connection to a sporting team like a mouthy trollup."

Anyway, to spare everyone the headache of the long-awaited See Red vs. CS85 battle, I will merely tip my cap to your 11-year membership reign in which you've said nothing worth remembering, even if they, like you did to me, tore through your post history.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

What I find interesting is that, tonight, you cannot handle criticism of your team without resorting to unrelated attacks. With me it was "well the Chargers suck. How does it feel to luck into the playoffs?" With Andy/CS it's "well you get overly dramatic about the Bears. You have problems."

For crying out loud. Your team lost bad. People are going to take them to task for a performance Peyton Manning him himself described as more then embarrassing. Roll with the damn punches and try not to lash out personally at every person who says not so nice things about the Denver Broncos.

They're not unrelated. You're posting "haha Peyton lost"... well, where is your team right now? It's related, in my opinion. Although, fine, I can admit you may be right on that one and that was more frustration than anything. But read CS' posts again... those were making fun of how Broncos fans are posting about, or reacting to, this loss which, in respect to the game, I don't think anybody said anything that was out of line, or crazy, or doing anything to suggest that the team wasn't completely terrible tonight. I went after him because he is the last person that should be making fun of anybody's reactions to their teams games on this forum.

IUe6Hvh.png

Don't be fooled, I am a total hypocrite who's taking the low road all the way. I realize it fully and accept the consequences, but I feel like Peyton Manning fans need to be taken down a peg at any opportunity. If it means polluting a thread with low-brow cavorting, I'll grind whatever grist the mill requires, even if it means I look like a total prick. Which I kind of did at the outset, so the status quo remains unaltered.

twitter

They're not unrelated. You're posting "haha Peyton lost"... well, where is your team right now? It's related, in my opinion. Although, fine, I can admit you may be right on that one and that was more frustration than anything.

I'm saying the people who are fans of teams that have been eliminated and thus root for teams to eliminate rival teams still in it isn't an uncommon practice. I very much doubt you would have been all "I don't care who wins, I just want a good game" if it were the Chargers or Patriots playing the Seahawks. I also doubt you'd refrain from poking fun at the inevitable Seahawks victories that would have followed in either of those situations.

But read CS' posts again... those were making fun of how Broncos fans are posting about, or reacting to, this loss which, in respect to the game, I don't think anybody said anything that was out of line, or crazy, or doing anything to suggest that the team wasn't completely terrible tonight. I went after him because he is the last person that should be making fun of anybody's reactions to their teams games on this forum.

I don't think he was going after anyone here. More likely he was attacking the reactions of Broncos fans elsewhere (we do visit other places on the interwebs :P ). And hey, being a bit nuts doesn't mean you can't recognize nuttiness elsewhere.

I don't think he was going after anyone here. More likely he was attacking the reactions of Broncos fans elsewhere (we do visit other places on the interwebs :P ). And hey, being a bit nuts doesn't mean you can't recognize nuttiness elsewhere.

Pretty much. I've got a lot of pent up disgust with people I know from twitter/facebook/real life that drunkenly sup from the chalice of all things Manning and whitebread American heroes like him. If this was Romo and the Cowboys, believe me, it'd be far worse.

twitter

Don't be fooled, I am a total hypocrite who's taking the low road all the way. I realize it fully and accept the consequences, but I feel like Peyton Manning fans need to be taken down a peg at any opportunity. If it means polluting a thread with low-brow cavorting, I'll grind whatever grist the mill requires, even if it means I look like a total prick. Which I kind of did at the outset, so the status quo remains unaltered.

But why? Does it really make you feel better about it?

I understand your process, but I don't exactly see your endgame.

(Waits for Andy to post "Some men just like to watch the world burn" .gif)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

But why? Does it really make you feel better about it?

I understand your process, but I don't exactly see your endgame.

(Waits for Andy to post "Some men just like to watch the world burn" .gif)

People mock me relentlessly for siding with losing teams, so when the universally-beloved horse breaks it's leg in the final turn, it's my duty to return the favor.

edit: and since you asked:

tumblr_mezy08dbze1qbm00wo1_500.gif

twitter

WSwZlKz.png

Riveting post, compelling and rich. Everybody knows that I'm manic-depressive about my sports teams, but I congratulate you on being above such characteristics.

"Sports doesn't matter so much to me *sips brandy from snifter*, you see, I'm a man of refined sports emotions. When my favorite teams are utterly destroyed on the world's stage, I have the decency, sir, to remove myself from the frothing throng of ape-like shouting. It is not the conduct of a gentleman to brazenly display real feelings or betray my emotional connection to a sporting team like a mouthy trollup."

Anyway, to spare everyone the headache of the long-awaited See Red vs. CS85 battle, I will merely tip my cap to your 11-year membership reign in which you've said nothing worth remembering, even if they, like you did to me, tore through your post history.

You're kidding, right? I'm not some sort of elitist... I'd like to think I have done things in my life that allow me to put sports into perspective. I'll also apologize for having said nothing that you find note-worthy. I'm not sure how I manage to look myself in the mirror every morning.

Considering this is pretty much the only thread I ever post in (and that's usually only on Sundays to begin with and at least one person here has expressed that they get something out of my contribution to it), and if you don't count this thread, I post on these forums maybe one or two times weekly and have done so for the past three or four years, I don't particularly care if I'm not all that memorable to you -- I don't draw a whole lot of self-worth from that. For what it's worth, I didn't tear through anybody's post history -- I simply remembered you having a meltdown during the Steelers/Packers game, found the date of that game, went to the URL bar and changed the page number to a page I thought would get me to around that date, and was fortunate enough to end up smack dab in the middle of it on my first try (sounds like more work than it was I'm sure).

Ice Cap, you're one of my favorite members here so I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to be disrespectful to you, attacking you, or doing anything more than engaging in friendly sports banter. The worst part is I'm really not even mad or upset about the game and it's probably being taken as such. I will wash my hands of this thread.

IUe6Hvh.png

I didn't feel like going through the entire thread to check: Has anyone mentioned Russell Wilson being the 1st black QB to win the Super Bowl in 30 years?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I will wash my hands of this thread.

Excellent.

I didn't feel like going through the entire thread to check: Has anyone mentioned Russell Wilson being the 1st black QB to win the Super Bowl in 30 years?

Have we gotten clearance from Rob Parker to verify if Wilson is a "cornball brother?" Kind of all hinges on that.

twitter

People mock me relentlessly for siding with losing teams, so when the universally-beloved horse breaks it's leg in the final turn, it's my duty to return the favor.

K. I mean, not really, but K.

---

Some final things before I put this entire football season out of my mental RAM:

1) For the people of a board like ours, Peyton Manning is 1-0 wearing road uniforms in the Super Bowl, 0-2 wearing home uniforms.

2) Despite rooting for Peyton, I found this gif slightly funny, if not only for its exact symbolism:

PU4aUUu.gif

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived