Back in Brown: San Diego Padres

tBBP

I like the brown/yellow, but believe the brown is skewing a little grey. I really like most of it, but I feel the type is a little too modern for the Padres theme. I think a slightly curvier letterform and a few well-placed flair-style serifs (somewhat like the sand roadies era) would carry the feeling of the concept better. I also agree that incorporating a baseball somewhere would polish the primary logo. It could be something as simple as adding some stitching to the skyline.

Few things i woudl change.

The main logo can be done a bit better,. Seems too simple. Dont know if the crosses would fly either with all fans.

Redo the Friar. Give him a modern feel.

The red shadow doesnt do much for me. Either make it full outline or dont put it in at all.

Just one mans opinion

I think the script is fine with the tail or without. It looks just fine.

One thing that I just thought of is that the Mission bell tower is fantastic, but MLB and/or the Padres themselves would never go for it with the cross on top. That is unfortunate because it makes the logo look complete. I am sure they would have a problem with it because they would say that it "promoted Catholicism" and might make some feel unwelcome, or something along those lines. I am not Catholic, and not a particularly religious person, but I enjoy the Missions and their history, fwiw......

That is part of the problem the Padres have. They are named for religious figures, but seem uncomfortable making use of a lot of that imagery, and it's really cool imagery for this team, and California in general. So, they choose to promote the beach and the ocean, and the color grey.......

I read some suggestions once for what they could do at Petco, such as having mission bells in the towers, or even a fountain out front which contained holy water, etc... Can't remember where I read that, but there were some cool ideas. Sure, maybe a little kitschy, but cool. :) If only Bill Veeck could have owned this team!

• 3 weeks later...

This is terrific execution by Buc from a design/identity standpoint; however, therein lies the problem with the league's most botched identity -- a lack of commitment. The brown/gold is iconic, quirky and uniquely "San Diego." The team has the opportunity to own it while no other team has ever occupied that space. Unfortunately, it seems team ownership has failed to understand this and has elected to perpetually "rebrand" every decade or so. In terms of corporate identity, the Padres are a blasted mess. Own the brown and gold. Case closed.

• 1 year later...

Replace the cardinal from the first one you did with orange.. stays true to their history and pops better imo.. I don't like the bell shaped front, but like the yellow panels on the brown cap a lot. Sort of modernizing it.. also, taking the new SD logo and applying it in brown with orange outline or drop shadow on the gold panel cap would look like a great update of the 84 cap and match your concept perfectly as well

How about this idea, use navy blue and copper. Copper is a almost a burnished combination of orange and brown. This can add the kind of earthy feeling the brown and orange used to offer while not clashing too strongly with cool blue. Its also a richer color which won't look washed out like gold.

I would make the script itself copper with navy outlining on the home jersey. arizona-copper-.jpg

Archived