I graduated from the University of Nebraska at Kearney, our mascot is the Lopers, which is short for Antelopes. I've always been interested in the old school Louie Loper logo but never have found one of good quality, only one I have found is located at the link. Would appreciate it if someone would be able to update and bring it back to it's former glory.

Thanks,

Micheal

logoserver.com/college/NebraskaKearneyLopers2.GIF

wow! another Loper on the thread. my father created that version of Louie. His name was Bill Dunn and passed away early this year. Love the fact that there is still a recognition for the cartoon Louie. Will search for a good file and upload it here.

Ren,

Amazing work! These types of concept redesign/refresh have been in the front of my mind for the last few years. I can't believe I never explored these threads before. A little over a year ago I started ideas for a redesign of the high school I have been teaching at for the last 7 years. It was a new school and never put the proper time and effort into the logo design and branding. Most logos were very generic (from apparel vendors) or heavily inspired by trademarked professional teams. As time (and life) went on, I never had a chance to finish my redesign/re-branding concept, and since I am not experienced with Illustrator I gave up. Finding your vintage updates has INSPIRED me to get back to the task.

I would love any help or suggestions you might have.rebrand.png

• Like 1

Ren,

Amazing work! These types of concept redesign/refresh have been in the front of my mind for the last few years. I can't believe I never explored these threads before. A little over a year ago I started ideas for a redesign of the high school I have been teaching at for the last 7 years. It was a new school and never put the proper time and effort into the logo design and branding. Most logos were very generic (from apparel vendors) or heavily inspired by trademarked professional teams. As time (and life) went on, I never had a chance to finish my redesign/re-branding concept, and since I am not experienced with Illustrator I gave up. Finding your vintage updates has INSPIRED me to get back to the task.

I would love any help or suggestions you might have.rebrand.png

I think you have a very solid start here, especially for someone not using Illustrator! There are several free programs available online that many members here use you might wanna try. Never give up...finish what you started here then start a concept thread on it to get input from the many members here who have a lot of valuable input to offer, you can even start it with what you have now. That will help you take this logo to the next level.

Is the schools current logo similar to what you have here or is this a complete redesign your doing? There's a bit of a difference when it comes to updating/restoring logos & doing a complete redesign. I have another thread where I did complete redesigns of community college logos (link below). I have a couple of videos here on pgs 47 & 48 where you can see how I go about doing these vintage logo updates.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/99249-redesigning-community-college-logos/

• Like 1

I graduated from the University of Nebraska at Kearney, our mascot is the Lopers, which is short for Antelopes. I've always been interested in the old school Louie Loper logo but never have found one of good quality, only one I have found is located at the link. Would appreciate it if someone would be able to update and bring it back to it's former glory.

Thanks,

Micheal

logoserver.com/college/NebraskaKearneyLopers2.GIF

wow! another Loper on the thread. my father created that version of Louie. His name was Bill Dunn and passed away early this year. Love the fact that there is still a recognition for the cartoon Louie. Will search for a good file and upload it here.

Wow that is amazing, it is a really cool design, also sorry for your loss. Must have been difficult. Amazing that someone would see it that knew the creator so personally.

NebraskaKearneyLopers2.GIF

SLSIG_zps58784cd9.jpg

ren would have done a better job of recreating that logo, imo.

I just checked Doyle524's index, and it looks as though ren already did:

BYU.png

Compare with:

BYU-Logo-Compare-590x326.jpg

Whoa...That's close...

If the new BYU logo isn't your work ren, I would say that it was definitely "inspired" by your work.

The line "weights" are almost identical.

• Like 1

I think the "beard" of Ren's cougar makes him look a little aged, and the Torch version has a more youthful look. Are they similar? Yes, because they're both based on the same logo to start with. I wouldn't go crying plagiarism just yet. Torch says BYU approached them in June, while Ren's version was posted in February. It's very likely someone at BYU saw this very thread and thought the modernized logo looked great! Rather than contact Ren they went with Torch, a reputable company, rather than a username on a message board (not knocking your skills Ren, because they're amazing).

Thanks for all the props on my BYU logo guys, appreciate it! Though it would've been cool if they used my version, I totally understand why they would go with a design firm to do their logo restoration and if they did use my version for inspiration I'm not bothered by it at all...I'm actually flattered it looks a lot like mine, lol. If people outside these boards start to compare and question the two, they would be the one's who have to explain the similarities even though they both come from the same vintage logo. In the sports logos forum under hettinger's vintage college mascot logos thread someone posted the NEW logo with my version alongside it as the OLD original logo. So at the end of the day...it's all good to me!

EDIT: Just saw this SB NATION article on the BYU logo also using my version as the OLD & original for comparison with the NEW.

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-cougars-basketball/2014/11/13/7214877/updated-sailor-coug-byu-secondary-logo-all-sports

• Like 1

Thanks for all the props on my BYU logo guys, appreciate it! Though it would've been cool if they used my version, I totally understand why they would go with a design firm to do their logo restoration and if they did use my version for inspiration I'm not bothered by it at all...I'm actually flattered it looks a lot like mine, lol. If people outside these boards start to compare and question the two, they would be the one's who have to explain the similarities even though they both come from the same vintage logo. In the sports logos forum under hettinger's vintage college mascot logos thread someone posted the NEW logo with my version alongside it as the OLD original logo. So at the end of the day...it's all good to me!

EDIT: Just saw this SB NATION article on the BYU logo also using my version as the OLD & original for comparison with the NEW.

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-cougars-basketball/2014/11/13/7214877/updated-sailor-coug-byu-secondary-logo-all-sports

Kudos to you ren, for taking the high road on this...but I'm calling B.S. on the folks at BYU and Torch Creative.

One of two things happened...

1- Nobody was aware of, or saw your rendering...OR

2-They saw it, liked it, and pretty much just tweaked your work.

The works are too similar for me to believe the first option, so I'm saying that the latter was probably the case.

As Delayed Penalty observed...both works are "tracings" of an existing logo, so they will be similar.

However, even in tracings, there's a hundred different ways to render it.

I find that the weight and style of the lines, and the treatments of certain areas are just too similar to be coincidental.

So, what would be the big deal for them to man-up, and admit that they were influenced by your excellent work, and give you some credit for this new product.

That would be the right thing to do.

• Like 1