2014 NFL Offseason

Kramerica Industries

With Mike Munchak's firing, every coach that lost to the Jaguars this season has been fired.

Texans (Kubiak) twice

Browns (Chudzinski)

Titans (Munchak)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still dont understand what the Browns are doing with that one.

In a nutshell, they fired Chud because the team failed to show improvement late in the season like other teams in similar positions. I'm pretty sure the owner was talking about the Jags going on that win streak late.

I still think a coach should get 2-3 years to really leave his mark, for better or for worse, but that's what happened. Again, in a nutshell.

If the Bengals are smart, they'll make Marv Lewis the GM only (as he's been much better as a talent evaluator than as a coach), promote Zimmer to head coach, fire Jay Gruden (as according to Chargers players, he didn't change anything about his offense for the playoffs, something that every other team does), and draft a quarterback to at least compete with Dalton.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

If the Bengals are smart, they'll make Marv Lewis the GM only (as he's been much better as a talent evaluator than as a coach), promote Zimmer to head coach, fire Jay Gruden (as according to Chargers players, he didn't change anything about his offense for the playoffs, something that every other team does), and draft a quarterback to at least compete with Dalton.

The problem is that Bengals aren't smart. Any other franchise would've fired Marvin Lewis four times by now. What you're proposing is nothing groundbreaking and people have been saying it since 2010.

Mike Zimmer will go somewhere else and be a hell of a head coach. Jay Gruden will go somewhere else and be a bad head coach. It boggles my mind that Zimmer can barely get an interview while Gruden has a list of 5 or 6 teams waiting to hire him.

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 years into a 5-year deal, DeSean Jackson wants another new contract <_<

RT4abiF.gif

The problem is that Bengals aren't smart. Any other franchise would've fired Marvin Lewis four times by now. What you're proposing is nothing groundbreaking and people have been saying it since 2010.

Mike Zimmer will go somewhere else and be a hell of a head coach. Jay Gruden will go somewhere else and be a bad head coach. It boggles my mind that Zimmer can barely get an interview while Gruden has a list of 5 or 6 teams waiting to hire him.

The Bengals, as I mentioned in the season thread, are indeed a stupid franchise that doesn't mind being placid in the silty RIvers of NFL Mediocrity. Their own management and ownership has given their seal of approval on their status as stepping stone. Until they prove otherwise, anyway.

As far as the Gruden thing, his last name is all that matters. He looks like Jon, he sounds like Jon, and he's made it far enough to be an NFL coach under the velvety wing of Marvin Lewis that some less-than-intelligent GMs feel like he probably IS Jon Gruden.

But don't worry about Mike Zimmer - he's being interviewed by Washington. Should he get hired there, we all know how that particular story will end. Nothing says "insufferable football hell" like taking a toxic paycheck from Dan Snyder.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

He should since the remaining three years have very little guaranteed money there for him. This was even foreshadowed by a writer back in May.

From the story:

The well-documented two-year mini-drama between team and player ended when the Eagles appeased the mercurial receiver by giving him a five-year, $51 million deal in March of 2012. But the peace treaty is really neither that long nor valuable. We know in the NFL, contracts aren’t what they appear. What counts is guaranteed money.

And after this season, that guaranteed cash runs out.

The way the deal is structured, the Eagles essentially committed to Jackson for two seasons, paying him $18 million over that time. The rest of the contract is basically filled with option years, and they come at a steep price.

Jackson is slated to make $6.75 million this season ($4 million fully guaranteed), which is the fifth-highest base salary among receivers in ’13, per spotrac.com. That number jumps to $10.25 million in 2014, and hovers around there for the remainder of the deal.

The Bengals, as I mentioned in the season thread, are indeed a stupid franchise that doesn't mind being placid in the silty RIvers of NFL Mediocrity. Their own management and ownership has given their seal of approval on their status as stepping stone. Until they prove otherwise, anyway.

As far as the Gruden thing, his last name is all that matters. He looks like Jon, he sounds like Jon, and he's made it far enough to be an NFL coach under the velvety wing of Marvin Lewis that some less-than-intelligent GMs feel like he probably IS Jon Gruden.

But don't worry about Mike Zimmer - he's being interviewed by Washington. Should he get hired there, we all know how that particular story will end. Nothing says "insufferable football hell" like taking a toxic paycheck from Dan Snyder.

i'm curious as to Mike Zimmer's popularity. I seem to remember him being ran out of dallas probably unfairly.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Dan Patrick is semi-reporting that the NFL will add yet another wildcard team to each conference.

That means the only team with a bye week is the #1 seed, which sounds cool, but it also means half the goddamn league makes the playoffs.

The NFL is beginning the slow grind down to hell.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I rather have that than see another 11-5 team have to stay home because a 8-7-1 team "won" it's division.

If that's the case then scrap divisions and go purely to conference play. Save the stupid quadruple-wildcard for the apocalypse.

twitter

Dan Patrick is semi-reporting that the NFL will add yet another wildcard team to each conference.

This is simply the NFL's way of insuring the 8-8 Cowboy$ qualify for the playoffs year-in and year-out.

6uXNWAo.png

I rather have that than see another 11-5 team have to stay home because a 8-7-1 team "won" it's division.

If that's the case then scrap divisions and go purely to conference play. Save the stupid quadruple-wildcard for the apocalypse.

I suppose that would work but you can bet they would catch hell for breaking up the traditional rivalries. So chances are they don't do that.

This is simply the NFL's way of insuring the 8-8 Cowboy$ qualify for the playoffs year-in and year-out.
I'd be ok with that. ?

and if JJ would put together a team that can do better than .500 and win the games they need to win to qualify for the current system then they wouldn't need an extra wild card to make it.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived