North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

I would like to see another MLS club for sure in the Midwest, say in Louisville or Indianapolis. Both are huge supporters for footy!

Peterson (NASL Commissioner) is already pissed that MLS is trying to put teams in San Antonio, Minnesota, and Atlanta. If MLS tries to go after Indiana you might just give him a heart attack.

If you don't believe me then check out this article. You can see the sour grapes oozing from the guy.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/02/peterson-expansion-process.html

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see another MLS club for sure in the Midwest, say in Louisville or Indianapolis. Both are huge supporters for footy!

Peterson (NASL Commissioner) is already pissed that MLS is trying to put teams in San Antonio, Minnesota, and Atlanta. If MLS tries to go after Indiana you might just give him a heart attack.

If you don't believe me then check out this article. You can see the sour grapes oozing from the guy.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/02/peterson-expansion-process.html

Well yeah, he's found successful markets for his league...

If you owned a small pizza place and Pizza Hut moved in across the street, you probably wouldn't be too happy about that.

I don't see 24 being anyone other than MSP right now. If that falls through though, Indianapolis might be in prime position to nab the 24th spot provided there's enough financial backing there.

Indy Eleven currently have a proposal in the Indiana Senate that would get an 18,500-seat stadium built. While the team won't come out and say it, I think it's a real run towards making an MLS bid. There's no need to be that ambitious in terms of capacity if that's not the goal. The team's sold 7,000 season tickets for this season and all they're almost certainly going to lead the league in attendance. It'll be interesting to see if they can sell the remaining 4,000 tickets for all/most of the games and force some real attention from MLS.

6fQjS3M.png

The biggest issue with Indy and MLS: I don't think there are any current or potential owners that are willing to spend $100mil for expansion fees plus more for operating costs.

The support could be there, but if there isn't money somewhere there isn't a point in worrying about it.

The biggest issue with Indy and MLS: I don't think there are any current or potential owners that are willing to spend $100mil for expansion fees plus more for operating costs.

The support could be there, but if there isn't money somewhere there isn't a point in worrying about it.

I think Orlando paid only $75 million if I'm not mistaken.

I heard Freddie Adu might play in Atlanta which would be huge for the NASL

Freddy Adu just pissed all over that rumor.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/02/28/atlanta-silverbacks-confirm-contact-freddy-adus-representatives-about-playin

"I am currently Not speaking to any NASL teams," he said. I don't know how that rumor got started but these rumors are not true. Thank you."

He added a second tweet shortly after: "I am currently at blackpool training and thinking over some opportunities in Europe. Thanks"

Yes, after NYCFC paid $100M (so I don't want to hear anything about favoritism from the league ;) ). So Indy will have to pay at least in the neighborhood of $70M if not higher. Do they have an ownership group that can pay the tab and still have $150M left over to get an MLS team started up?

I'd say double that - they'll need something like $70M for the expansion fee alone, and then enough cash to sustain them for a couple years outside of revenue sharing.

I said $100 mil plus operating costs. So yeah at least 150-200.

Plus yes they have sold 7000 season tickets, but those are $135-390 per seat. Not sure if those prices more than double how many people stick around...

I'd love it if it happened, but I think the best place for Indy for the near term is 2nd division.

^ I think the same way re: 2nd-tier down. Shoot for all we know the Eleven (I still can't get over that nickname, but whatevs :P ) could well end up becoming the NASL's equivalent to Indy's other second-level team, the MiLB's AAA Indians--perennial contender, consistently ranked among the top clubs if not right at the top-and the entire time I was there I saw pretty good fan support for them. The city's dang-near on fire for the Eleven right now, and Lord knows Naptown needs some new lifeblood...I believe the Eleven could fill that role quite nicely, both for the NASL and for the city. And given the success of IU's soccer program, and the direct conduit that could prove to be, that only bodes even better for Indy's soccer future.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Yes, after NYCFC paid $100M (so I don't want to hear anything about favoritism from the league ;) ). So Indy will have to pay at least in the neighborhood of $70M if not higher. Do they have an ownership group that can pay the tab and still have $150M left over to get an MLS team started up?

Let's not even get into the extremely low amount that Beckham FC had to pay ($25 million).

I hope the Metro's actually go the distance this year.. getting tired of early playoff exits.

I wonder if they are going to break the Curse of Red Bull Arena this year and finally win a playoff game there.

They'd better - they've one more year to do something before their claim on the market gets a much larger and well-funded challenge.

If they can win an MLS title then it will give them something to counter the hype that will surround NYCFC next year.

I also think that they need to beat the Cosmos in the Open Cup. They might not have anything to gain from beating a 2nd division club but they have a lot to lose if the Cosmos get one over them in terms of bragging rights. I have a strong feeling that Cosmos marketing team would have a field day with a good result over Red Bull.

So can some one explain to me the different club expansion fees that recent clubs have paid prior to entering MLS (except Beckham who's MLS expansion was agreed upon during his playing contract). NYCFC, Orlando, Philadelphia, Portland and Vancouver have all been different.

Well, expansion fees go up over time. So it's not unusual that every subsequent club costs more.

What's unusual here is that fees went back down after NYCFC paid its $100M, indicating that perhaps there was a bidding war between MCFC and the Cosmos for that 20th spot. MLS then dropped the asking price back down to the standard progression when Orlando was offered the 21st spot.

Here's the recent fee history:

2005 Toronto: $10M

2007 Beckham locks in $25M rate

2007 San Jose: $20M

2007 Seattle: $30M

2008 Philadelphia: $30M

2009 Vancouver: $35M

2009 Portland: $35M

2010 Montreal: $40M

2013 New York City: $100M

2013 Orlando: $70M

The Funny part is that Montreal could have had the $35M as well but tried to get their entry for $30M.

I don't recall the specifics but I know Impact owner, Joey Sapputo, was upset that MLS was asking for 35 when Seattle got 30 (because they were both D2 teams making the leap so he felt she should pay as much as Seattle did)

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived