North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

I guess Defoe is a bloody big deal...

Well that's one way to make an impression on your full league debut: two first half goals and MotM. I knew Defoe still had something in him, even though he wasnt getting the playing time at Spurs. I could see good things for him this season. He could be TFCs white knight or white elephant...

Bradley was a constant force in the midfield. That is one thing TFC has been missing their entire time in MLS, a midfield General. Someone who can take the game and flip it on its own head.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two great games today in Sounders/TFC and SJ/RSL...great to see guys like Defoe, Dempsey, and Wondo find the net.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Excellent weekend throughout...two top notch matches. But there's a reason why Dempsey is a hack. When you can't provide anything on the pitch, you have to punch an opposing player in the crotch. Yes I know he scored a goal but there's a reason why he couldnt ever get accustomed to the BPL.

When you can't provide anything on the pitch, you have to punch an opposing player in the crotch. Yes I know he scored a goal but there's a reason why he couldnt ever get accustomed to the BPL.

If there's one thing we tend to frown upon over here, it's smacking another player in the bollocks.

When you can't provide anything on the pitch, you have to punch an opposing player in the crotch. Yes I know he scored a goal but there's a reason why he couldnt ever get accustomed to the BPL.

If there's one thing we tend to frown upon over here, it's smacking another player in the bollocks.

Unless you're Eric Cantona or Vinnie Jones ;)

I don't think either did any actual smacking, though. Jones grabbed and squeezed Paul Gascoigne's, Cantona just spoke bollocks. ;)

I don't think either did any actual smacking, though. Jones grabbed and squeezed Paul Gascoigne's, Cantona just spoke bollocks. ;)

Touche Jaffa!

...but there's a reason why he couldnt ever get accustomed to the BPL.

LOLWUT

Seriously, he never got accustomed to the Premier League? Perhaps you missed all the goals he scored over there...

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

LOLWUT

Seriously, he never got accustomed to the Premier League? Perhaps you missed all the goals he scored over there...

Ok those were the wrong words to use to explain that. Yes Defoe has scored all those goals (155 league and 19 for country) and a lot of them were good ones. I am not contesting his calibre of play in early part of his career. He was a absolute gem to watch dancing around all those defenders. But I should have said the BPL has gotten faster and faster over the last few years. And Defoe couldn't keep up to the current pace of the run of play. There was a reason why Redknapp and AVB was only playing him off the bench more and more. His pace and overall match fitness was not good enough for him to last an entire 90 mins. So a change to the MLS was in the cards. The MLS is not as fast as the BPL (in comparison MLS has the speed of play like Football League Championship or League One).

BPL

I think the Scottish Premier League is a flight of fiscally irresponsible fancy, but it still exists, and Scottish soccer in general exists in a separate pyramid. Therefore please refer to the English Premier League as the EPL. Thanks.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

BPL

I think the Scottish Premier League is a flight of fiscally irresponsible fancy, but it still exists, and Scottish soccer in general exists in a separate pyramid. Therefore please refer to the English Premier League as the EPL. Thanks.

Sorry you feel that way Rams but the BPL is short for Barclays Premier League. That's how all the papers and news agencies in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales call the league for short. The Scottish Premier League is just called the Scottish Premiership due to the re-alignment of the SFA and SPFL prior to the 2013/14 season. SPFL - Premiership, Championship, League 1, League 2.

LOLWUT

Ok those were the wrong words to use to explain that. Yes Defoe has scored all those goals...

Weren't we talking about Dempsey?

POTD 2013-08-22

LOLWUT

Ok those were the wrong words to use to explain that. Yes Defoe has scored all those goals...

Weren't we talking about Dempsey?

Sorry I was getting mixed up between two conversations: one about Dempsey and one about Defoe. Dempsey has only scored 57 goals in 218 appearances. But he only scored 7 in 29 after his transfer to Spurs in 2012/13. It seemed like the pressure was getting to him to perform at a higher level, a level I don't think he could get to. Especially after his transfer bid to go to Liverpool that season failed. He couldn't perform in the EPL at a consistent high level and that was probably one of the main reasons why he decided to come back to MLS. Plus the over in payout that Seattle was paying him. I think he will be one of the top performers in MLS this season but in England, he's a Championship calibre player IMO.

BPL

Sorry you feel that way Rams but the BPL is short for Barclays Premier League. That's how all the papers and news agencies in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales call the league for short. The Scottish Premier League is just called the Scottish Premiership due to the re-alignment of the SFA and SPFL prior to the 2013/14 season. SPFL - Premiership, Championship, League 1, League 2.

We're not in the UK, and judging from your name and location, neither are you. As far as this continent is concerned, "BPL" is a reference to Bangladeshi or Belarusian soccer.

Also, this would be as good a time as any to point out that "EPL" generates 10 times as many hits as "BPL" does on The Guardian's website.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Sorry I was getting mixed up between two conversations: one about Dempsey and one about Defoe. Dempsey has only scored 57 goals in 218 appearances. But he only scored 7 in 29 after his transfer to Spurs in 2012/13. It seemed like the pressure was getting to him to perform at a higher level, a level I don't think he could get to. Especially after his transfer bid to go to Liverpool that season failed. He couldn't perform in the EPL at a consistent high level and that was probably one of the main reasons why he decided to come back to MLS. Plus the over in payout that Seattle was paying him. I think he will be one of the top performers in MLS this season but in England, he's a Championship calibre player IMO.

I'm not sure at what rate you think most players score, but one in four is a decent strike rate. Also, those seven goals were third-best at Spurs that season, despite relatively limited playing time.

POTD 2013-08-22

Then if he did have such a good strike rate why did he live Spurs for Seattle?

Because Spurs are rubbish, run by a man who clearly doesn't know what he's doing? And then he trades that for a hero's welcome (and big check) with a promising domestic side?

I bet Toronto wins silverware before Spurs.

Archived