North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indy Eleven sign World Cup winner, former Philadelphia Union, Manchester United, Besiktas and Flamengo midfielder Kleberson.

He's a bit of a joke in Europe as he was highly hyped after the 2002 World Cup but largely failed at United. Seems like Union folks feel he could have still helped them, but they had to drop him to make way for Edu.

Probably could still play in the MLS, this is a great pickup for the Indy Eleven and the NASL.

Kinda cool to see the Indy Eleven/NASL being reported on all around the world because of this though.

Check out the new women's league in the United States. This league has some, if not most of the best women's soccer players in the world and the average salary is between 15-35 thousand a year. Only the stars are making a salary anywhere close to liveable.

However, I am sure a lot of the women's soccer players are gaining some solid sponsorship deals.

Why do you think that?

If these players can't even negotiate a living wage from their employer, how many have the influence to secure a "solid" sponsorship deal?

Check out the new women's league in the United States. This league has some, if not most of the best women's soccer players in the world and the average salary is between 15-35 thousand a year. Only the stars are making a salary anywhere close to liveable.

However, I am sure a lot of the women's soccer players are gaining some solid sponsorship deals.

Why do you think that?

If these players can't even negotiate a living wage from their employer, how many have the influence to secure a "solid" sponsorship deal?

Because there is a market for women's athletic equipment and there is a market for the many other endorsements that a lot of women's soccer players engage in. I think most of the women that do have these deals are probably the best of the best (a lot of the US stars, the Brazilian woman, etc). But I don't think the market for a professional league of women's soccer is nearly as big. I went to a women's US national game not to long ago in Orlando and the crowd was pretty impressive, but I know it's not the same for a professional league of woman's soccer. I think the stars of the league are probably getting endorsements outside of the league, but I think the ones that aren't internationally acclaimed (which is around 95% of them) are probably not getting much else.

Go into a Dicks sporting goods or a Sports Authority. Most of the women athletes that are engaged in the endorsement world are women's soccer players. I would say that a lot of the US women's athletes are getting much greater endorsements then say the WNBA stars or Olympic athletes (with a few exceptions).

I think the stars of the league are probably getting endorsements outside of the league, but I think the ones that aren't internationally acclaimed (which is around 95% of them) are probably not getting much else.

That makes perfect sense to me. I just think it's more likely than this:

I am sure a lot of the women's soccer players are gaining some solid sponsorship deals.

The biggest names? Absolutely. But I'm not sure I would go so far as to say "a lot" of them.

I think the stars of the league are probably getting endorsements outside of the league, but I think the ones that aren't internationally acclaimed (which is around 95% of them) are probably not getting much else.

That makes perfect sense to me. I just think it's more likely than this:

I am sure a lot of the women's soccer players are gaining some solid sponsorship deals.

The biggest names? Absolutely. But I'm not sure I would go so far as to say "a lot" of them.

Fivethirtyeight broke it down.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/low-pay-limits-player-experience-in-national-womens-soccer-league/

Last season, 41% of league attendance was from one team's home games, Portland.

Does anyone have any statistics that compare women's professional soccer in Europe to that in the US? The article posted above does a lot of comparing, yet doesn't really discuss the logistics of what professional soccer is like in Europe for women. Honestly, I am kinda surprised that the professional leagues in Europe for women are (what it seems like it says in the article) are so down-right better than that in the US. Are the European teams gaining more television coverage? More people in the stands? I think the biggest problem is that the NWSL hasn't been able to land a big television coverage or get people into the stands, compared to that of a European women's game.

I for one would never go to a NWSL game. That's just me. I play soccer, I am friends with female soccer players, I watch them play. But I personally would never pay 20-25$ to go see a women's professional game, regardless of who was playing. I only went to the womens national game (which was a good game, however still wasn't really my cup of tea) because my family all went with my sisters soccer team.

My question is to why this league hasn't been able to reach out to youth soccer players, primarily girls. Because that is going to be there biggest market. Tying these professional teams to youth clubs around the area would help the team tremendously. Have these girls getting paid 6 grand a year to go out and do trainings with these young girls and have the clubs pay them a little extra, while getting these youths exposed to professional women's soccer.

I also disagree. Wahl says:

"At least Jonathan Kraft cares about team performance"

Not according to the Boston magazine article. Which makes a compelling case. By letting the club atrophy, they've created an atmosphere where good veterans would rather retire than play in.

US draws Mexico 2-2 in Arizona. US blew the 2 goal second half lead, but Johnson got called for offside when it wasn't. I didn't see the whole game, just the last 20 minutes.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

US draws Mexico 2-2 in Arizona. US blew the 2 goal second half lead, but Johnson got called for offside when it wasn't. I didn't see the whole game, just the last 20 minutes.

I saw the second half. There were two bad calls against the US in a row -- the Johnson goal, and then a no-call foul against Julian Green.

The game ended the way a lot of Sounders games end these days -- Clint Dempsey with a chance to win, but whiffing instead.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived