North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

NASL trying to "compete" with MLS and somehow take over the first-division status is dumb.

Yeah. It's not going to happen. Maybe if the NASL had been this strong ten years ago, they could have forced a merger. But even if MLS didn't have an exclusive license on the top-flight from US Soccer, it doesn't need anything the NASL has to offer anymore.

MLS has stepped in to claim territories the NASL carefully developed; New York City, Florida and Atlanta. What possible leverage could the NASL offer now? Indianapolis? Oklahoma City?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well yeah, I'm not saying it's smart or not but I'd be shocked if we don't see the Cosmos going after more young MLS-bound talent by offering higher salaries—and if they're going out and spending to put a product on the field, more teams'll ultimately follow suit.

That's the beauty of the setup of the NASL to me—the clubs that want to spend and compete can.

They already did that by signing the Whitecaps draft pick (Andre Lewis) which created some controversy until they loaned him back to the Whitecaps.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1688476/new-york-cosmos-loan-andre-lewis-vancouver-whitecaps?cc=5901

Right. I think they'll continue to do that because they see themselves as a top-level club in the country.

6fQjS3M.png

NASL trying to "compete" with MLS and somehow take over the first-division status is dumb.

Yeah. It's not going to happen. Maybe if the NASL had been this strong ten years ago, they could have forced a merger. But even if MLS didn't have an exclusive license on the top-flight from US Soccer, it doesn't need anything the NASL has to offer anymore.

MLS has stepped in to claim territories the NASL carefully developed; New York City, Florida and Atlanta. What possible leverage could the NASL offer now? Indianapolis? Oklahoma City?

There's a lot of markets out there that aren't served by soccer that have the potential with the right marketing mix and management to become solid soccer markets.

I mean, who would've said a year ago that we were going to be here even mentioning Indianapolis as "leverage" for the NASL? Who says it couldn't be a hit in Louisville, Austin, or Buffalo given the right ownership?

I don't know, all I'm saying is that I think it very well could happen. Long-term either MLS is going to go past 24 (which I still think they will) or the NASL's going to fill holes in the professional soccer market that currently exist in this country. If they can target a good mix of 10-12 cities and can continue to better the on-field product, I think they'll have success.

6fQjS3M.png

If they can target a good mix of 10-12 cities and can continue to better the on-field product, I think they'll have success.

The NASL can be a success in the second-division role, if they don't let their egos get the best of them.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

If they can target a good mix of 10-12 cities and can continue to better the on-field product, I think they'll have success.

The NASL can be a success in the second-division role, if they don't let their egos get the best of them.

Bill Peterson (NASL Commissioner for people that don't know) isn't someone who I would classify as humble. He outs his foot in his mouth a lot, especially in regards to MLS.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

There's a lot of markets out there that aren't served by soccer that have the potential with the right marketing mix and management to become solid soccer markets.

I mean, who would've said a year ago that we were going to be here even mentioning Indianapolis as "leverage" for the NASL?

We're not. That was a joke. Offered up for its absurdity.

The NASL might well find some very solid soccer markets. But can they still find one that MLS will desperately need? I don't see where.

Not to mention that since now we're possibly talking about a market here or there, MLS could just step in and take it as they did with NYC and now Atlanta.

The only way the NASL could have forced a merger is by offering an entire region at once, such as the South. Those days are gone.

NASL needs to focus on building NASL. Period.

-----

In other news, it's reported that NYCFC will start playing in Yankee Stadium, much to the surprise of... no one, really.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The only surprise to me was there doesn't seem to be a plan for the new stadium yet. I thought everything was settled for near Yankee Stadium but from the sounds of the article, that's now up in the air?

Today has been a rather interesting day for Atlanta soccer.

MLS is going to announce expansion into Atlanta later on tonight

http://www.11alive.com/story/sports/soccer/2014/04/16/atlanta-mls-arthur-blank/7767289/

And the Atlanta Ultras are banned for 3 home games by the NASL for incidents at the Soccer Bowl.

https://www.facebook.com/AtlantaUltras/posts/758682054164787

I'm usually wary of any American supporters group that willingly adopts the title "Ultras". It either speaks to an ignorance of what the word means, or knowing all-too-well and looking to interject a little of that ol' European "toughness" into the stands.

I had friends who drove down to the Soccer Bowl. Apparently there was a small segment of the home crowd given to offensive chants; sounds like the league took notice. Especially since they're going to offer all the games online this year.

http://www.11alive.com/story/sports/soccer/2014/04/16/atlanta-mls-arthur-blank/7767289/

And the Atlanta Ultras are banned for 3 home games by the NASL for incidents at the Soccer Bowl.

All I can say that is huge news about the Ultras being banned by the NASL and Silverbacks. Just because of certain individuals who ruin it for the masses and a single minded club board who doesn't allow their SG to represent themselves in front of themselves and the league, a SG will not be able to attend the next three home matches. All I can say is wow!

I'm usually wary of any American supporters group that willingly adopts the title "Ultras". It either speaks to an ignorance of what the word means, or knowing all-too-well and looking to interject a little of that ol' European "toughness" into the stands.

It's not necessarily ignorance. In Italy 'ultras' are very much violent, same can be said about France and Spain too. However in eastern Europe, 'ultras' aren't violent at all. In Poland, the balkans and Greece, ultra's are know for flags, banners, tifo's and pyrotechnics. The violence is all from self-proclaimed hooligans.

Being an ultra doesn't mean that you go to matches looking for a fight.

1zqy8ok.gif

All I can say that is huge news about the Ultras being banned by the NASL and Silverbacks. Just because of certain individuals who ruin it for the masses and a single minded club board who doesn't allow their SG to represent themselves in front of themselves and the league, a SG will not be able to attend the next three home matches. All I can say is wow!

I still maintain "supporters groups" should be banned en masse. That is one tradition soccer would benefit greatly from killing.

It's not necessarily ignorance. In Italy 'ultras' are very much violent, same can be said about France and Spain too. However in eastern Europe, 'ultras' aren't violent at all. In Poland, the balkans and Greece, ultra's are know for flags, banners, tifo's and pyrotechnics. The violence is all from self-proclaimed hooligans.

You forgot blatant racism for the entire lot. We don't tolerate gangs on the street, why should we in a stadium?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I had friends who drove down to the Soccer Bowl. Apparently there was a small segment of the home crowd given to offensive chants; sounds like the league took notice. Especially since they're going to offer all the games online this year.

From what I hear from Cosmos fans offensive chants was the least problematic thing that happened. There was a bit of rock and flair throwing by the Atlanta Ultras towards the Cosmos fans.

These guys seem to have watched too many reruns of Green Street Hooligans judging by what has been reported by fans of other teams (Cosmos and Rowdies fans) as well as the stir they created when the Silverbacks played University of Alabama-Birmingham recently.

I still maintain "supporters groups" should be banned en masse. That is one tradition soccer would benefit greatly from killing.

You forgot blatant racism for the entire lot. We don't tolerate gangs on the street, why should we in a stadium?

In Europe and Latin America banning these groups would create a massive headache (to say the least) that would bring them into the street with rioting. The best way to handle it is to slowly grind it down like they are in the UK.

In the US & Canada this would just be overkill and counter-productive for leagues like MLS that are switching the focus of their marketing from soccer moms to young urbanites who take positively to SGs. Do not let 20-30 dorks (or their European and S,American counterparts) represent every single American & Canadian SG. These groups are generally non-discriminatory and peaceful. They just hang out with each other, drink, chant, and then go home.

If they can't police their own groups they should be gone. Tell the urbanites to create their own traditions.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived