North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

...but there's a reason why he couldnt ever get accustomed to the BPL.

LOLWUT

Seriously, he never got accustomed to the Premier League? Perhaps you missed all the goals he scored over there...

Ok those were the wrong words to use to explain that. Yes Defoe has scored all those goals...

Weren't we talking about Dempsey?

Sorry I was getting mixed up between two conversations: one about Dempsey and one about Defoe. Dempsey has only scored 57 goals in 218 appearances. But he only scored 7 in 29 after his transfer to Spurs in 2012/13. It seemed like the pressure was getting to him to perform at a higher level, a level I don't think he could get to. Especially after his transfer bid to go to Liverpool that season failed. He couldn't perform in the EPL at a consistent high level and that was probably one of the main reasons why he decided to come back to MLS. Plus the over in payout that Seattle was paying him. I think he will be one of the top performers in MLS this season but in England, he's a Championship calibre player IMO.

7 goals and 4 assists in 29 appearances is hardly "Championship calibre"

And you know he scored 17 goals for Fulham the year before that, right? I think you might be letting your biases get in the way here.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...but there's a reason why he couldnt ever get accustomed to the BPL.

LOLWUT

Seriously, he never got accustomed to the Premier League? Perhaps you missed all the goals he scored over there...

Ok those were the wrong words to use to explain that. Yes Defoe has scored all those goals...

Weren't we talking about Dempsey?

Sorry I was getting mixed up between two conversations: one about Dempsey and one about Defoe. Dempsey has only scored 57 goals in 218 appearances. But he only scored 7 in 29 after his transfer to Spurs in 2012/13. It seemed like the pressure was getting to him to perform at a higher level, a level I don't think he could get to. Especially after his transfer bid to go to Liverpool that season failed. He couldn't perform in the EPL at a consistent high level and that was probably one of the main reasons why he decided to come back to MLS. Plus the over in payout that Seattle was paying him. I think he will be one of the top performers in MLS this season but in England, he's a Championship calibre player IMO.

7 goals and 4 assists in 29 appearances is hardly "Championship calibre"

And you know he scored 17 goals for Fulham the year before that, right? I think you might be letting your biases get in the way here.

I'm sorry but I have no bias toward Spurs just because I'm a Gunners supporter. I just hate seeing mercenaries like Dempsey. I would have welcomed him with open arms at Arsenal when he was playing at Fulham but when he went on his rants about he was the next best thing since sliced bread and deserved to sign for a top four club....I realized he is just another useless player who thinks he deserves a huge payout and couldn't hold him his side of the deal due to his inconsistency playing for a big club. Liverpool saw it and decided otherwise... there was a reason why AVB didn't play him much.

I just hate seeing mercenaries like Dempsey.

WHY ARE YOU A FAN OF ENGLISH SOCCER?!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Sports in general largely consist of mercenaries these days.

Then again I can understand why VictoriaGooner would hate mercenaries since Arsenal usually ends up being screwed by mercenary players (RVP, Cole, Nasri, etc).

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Sports in general largely consist of mercenaries these days.

Then again I can understand why VictoriaGooner would hate mercenaries since Arsenal usually ends up being screwed by mercenary players (RVP, Cole, Nasri, etc).

True Arsenal over the past 3 years have been full of mercenaries. RVP, Nasri, Cole to name a few.

And I am a supporter of English football because it's in my blood. It's been in my blood for over 30 years supporting one club my entire life. I support Arsenal not because of how many trophies they have won, or how many high profile expensive players they sign in the transfer window, or how much a club is worth. I support Arsenal because it's in my family's blood. My grandfather supported Arsenal when he lived in North London. I support them because it's a right of passage, it's my family's club.

We all hate those money grabbing mercenaries, until it's our club's money they're grabbing and we're calling for them to be offered a new contract to reward their loyal, unstinting service.

Just for the record in England it is just classed as the Premier League. I have never known it to be called the "BPL" over here. No media outlets report it as that in England. On forums in England we refer to it as the EPL when typing as well.

glory10.png

BPL can (and should) denote the Barclays Premier League - its official name due to sponsorship.

I personally don't like the abbreviation EPL. In normal conversation most people where I live refer to it as "The Prem" if they are looking for a short term.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

The Premier League do use 'BPL' themselves on occasion, as their twitter hashtag for example.

In their communications they invariably use the full 'Barclays Premier League' to give the sponsor exposure, they also instruct other organisations to do so - the member clubs, for example.

It's all about the brand, baby.

I personally don't like the abbreviation EPL. In normal conversation most people where I live refer to it as "The Prem" if they are looking for a short term.

In these parts it's increasingly being referred to as 'The :censored: ing Premier League', although I don't think this is a variant the League themselves encourage.

Well, it is "domestic" to some of us here :P.

I think this all arose from trying to compare two completely different leagues. Any attempt at comparison is silly in my eyes. Of course the standard is better over here in the UK but that is as obvious as saying the standard of baseball and the NFL type of football is better in the US.

There are many reasons that Dempsey and Defoe will score more goals in the MLS over the Premier League. Particularly than over their times at Tottenham. Dempsey often couldn't keep up with the pace we played at under counter attack at Tottenham and that got under the fans skin quite a bit. Particularly when you had Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon shooting past at full speed and he was none the wiser to it.

People also quote Defoe's goalscoring record a lot and wonder why he didn't start more at Spurs. He was a great impact player who operated better in the latter stages of games when the game is forced to open up more and he has more room to run through or even into. There is no doubting his finishing ability but if there is no space for him to run into the he doesn't get as many goal scoring chances. If you see both of his TFC goals, he has absolute acres of room for both of them which you just do not see as much in the Premier League.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Im a Tottenham fan and former season ticket holder so seen plenty of watching Defoe over the years and he was frustrating. He is a straight out flat track bully. Hardly ever scored against the big clubs in the league. Had a good record against clubs fighting relegation and in the Europa League. Never been consistent but will score plenty in the MLS due to defences not being as cohesive as they are in the Premier League. His type of play is a poacher and just waited in the penalty area which is now outdated in England. The game has evolved beyond having just a poacher and strikers need to do so much more to bring others into the game.

glory10.png

Btw, thanks for the English-based board members getting their two cents in about naming and abbreviations for the Premier League. Helps a lot. And it's finally good to hear some equal sentiment and views on Defoe and Dempsey. Both of them will flourish in the MLS. I think Defoe will be a bigger goal striker than Dempsey due to the amount of space he will get, especially him scoring his first two goals just like Marble mentioned. Defoe's movement off the ball is more pronounced that Dempsey's which will pay dividends for TFC. Not saying Dempsey won't score a boat load of goals but I believe at the end of the season Defoe will have a high goal scoring tally and more minutes played.

Then if he did have such a good strike rate why did he live Spurs for Seattle?

Because Spurs are rubbish, run by a man who clearly doesn't know what he's doing? And then he trades that for a hero's welcome (and big check) with a promising domestic side?

I bet Toronto wins silverware before Spurs.

When it comes to the Premier league I support Spurs but I agree 500% with Gothamite here.

The same question could be asked about Bale, Defoe, VanderVaart (just to name a few off the top of my head).

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Since it's 1-1, I think San Jose would only need to score once at Toluca (providing they keep Toluca off of the board).

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Bayern Munich II winger Julian Green is expected to switch his national affiliation from Germany to the United States.

Green, 18, is a dual citizen and has 15 goals in 21 appearances for fourth-tier Bayern II.

It's a nice get for the USMNT program.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Since it's 1-1, I think San Jose would only need to score once at Toluca (providing they keep Toluca off of the board).

You're right. I thought they were down 1-0 going into Mexico. But let's just assume Toluca will score once at home :P

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived