North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

Something's gotta give during the next round of CBA negotiations though, I think. I just don't see the players being content with the $3 million non-DP cap we have now.

Plus, the MLS has to do something if they're going to be considered a top league in the world. I'd rather watch high-quality play dominated by a few teams than mediocre play with too much parity.

I disagree with your second paragraph but that's just based on personal preference.

Your first paragraph, though, is on point. This league is growing and the players deserve a little more money for the work they have been putting in to help the league.

I don't disagree Crash, my point was that it has to be a gradual thing. They can't jump from a $3M salary cap to no cap...or like a $30M cap. (I'm just pulling a number out of nowhere there).

Sorry if I wasn't being clear, my bad.

Just to be clear I wasn't necessarily saying that the increase will be that drastic.

I just think that MLS is going to raise the cap and raise the number of DPs in order to make sure that NYCFC can be a success (this is coming from a non-NYCFC fan BTW).

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather watch a league that's less than twenty years old continue to build its foundation and still exist for years to come than throw money about willy-nilly and fold in a few years. (Hi, NASL1!)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'd rather watch a league that's less than twenty years old continue to build its foundation and still exist for years to come than throw money about willy-nilly and fold in a few years. (Hi, NASL1!)

But we had Pele!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

...the grounds crew staff will just push the little snow off the pitch with shovels :P

Kinda like this?

BGBS_POCMAEQ7bN.jpg

Ahh, good memories. That was insane.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

...the grounds crew staff will just push the little snow off the pitch with shovels :P

Kinda like this?

BGBS_POCMAEQ7bN.jpg

Ahh, good memories. That was insane.

I remember watching that match on TV...that was insane and looked alike a lot of fun for the supporters.

I agree. And honestly, why do professional athletes "deserve" to make anything more than the average joe? I like that MLS is still a league where players aren't paid exorbitant sums.

They are calling for a freezing rain/snow mix overnight on the Weather Network right now (speaking for Toronto). Thing is that it's less than 5 centimeters.

Plus by kick off the temperature is supposed to be up to 2 Celsius.

I'll be wearing my TFC hoodie, not my kit, but I don't think it will be all that bad.

No orange ball necessary, though that would be fun to see.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I agree. And honestly, why do professional athletes "deserve" to make anything more than the average joe? I like that MLS is still a league where players aren't paid exorbitant sums.

Because the market has determined that they are worth that much unlike plumbers, bakers, cops, and other "average joe" professions.

We may not like but that's the reality of the situation. The only way to fix it is to either regulate it or wait for the market to fix it on its own (it will never happen).

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Because the market has determined that they are worth that much unlike plumbers, bakers, cops, and other "average joe" professions.

We may not like but that's the reality of the situation. The only way to fix it is to either regulate it or wait for the market to fix it on its own (it will never happen).

True MLS professional players are not paid like most of the Big Four North American league players but they deserve to be paid more than the average joe due to their talent level and dedication they have put into their craft over the years.

True MLS professional players are not paid like most of the Big Four North American league players but they deserve to be paid more than the average joe due to their talent level and dedication they have put into their craft over the years.

No, let's go with "the market set the wages" instead of "talent and dedication" because the latter tends to be insulting to folks in non-athletic professions.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

No, let's go with "the market set the wages" instead of "talent and dedication" because the latter tends to be insulting to folks in non-athletic professions.

MLS player salaries will only increase when more people start spending money/showing interest in the league. More sponsorships, more people purchasing gear, etc.

I hate when people complain about athletes getting paid so much. They are only getting paid that much due to generated financial interest. MLB owners and ball clubs wouldn't throw so much money at big league pitchers if they weren't reaping the many benefits that come from a succesful baseball club.

It's simple economics, and I haven't even taken a high school economics class. :lol:

Some talents can only be done by a select few (athletes) while other talents can be done by many (plumbing) and hense the different pay levels.

Its about scarcity. If plumbing was something only a few hundred people in the country could do they'd be getting paid millions as well.

Some talents can only be done by a select few (athletes) while other talents can be done by many (plumbing) and hense the different pay levels.

Its about scarcity. If plumbing was something only a few hundred people in the country could do they'd be getting paid millions as well.

Tom Finney excelled at both, but of course that was before the days of multi-millionaire plumbers.

There are a lot of footballers in English Non-League that play football and are plumbers, carpenters, electricians, etc to support themselves. It's the best of both worlds

You'll see that in the various levels of professional lacrosse too.....up to the top league.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

There are a lot of footballers in English Non-League that play football and are plumbers, carpenters, electricians, etc to support themselves. It's the best of both worlds

You'll see that in the various levels of professional lacrosse too.....up to the top league.

All the Victoria Shamrocks of the WLA work in Victoria doing other jobs (mainly in the skilled trades) during the season. The same goes with the First Team roster of the Victoria Highlanders FC of the USL PDL. It's a fact of life. These young men (in some cases some players are 30 years plus) are just playing the sport because they love it, it's in their blood.

Check out the new women's league in the United States. This league has some, if not most of the best women's soccer players in the world and the average salary is between 15-35 thousand a year. Only the stars are making a salary anywhere close to liveable.

However, I am sure a lot of the women's soccer players are gaining some solid sponsorship deals.

Archived