North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

That Timbers-Sounders match was one of the most exhilarating MLS games I've seen in a long, long time

I missed it live, but the highlights are pretty awesome. Dempsey has had good games for the Sounders, but that's the first time he's really carried the team. He had a lot of help, of course, but he converted on all three of those pressure situations. Good on him.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Timbers-Sounders match was one of the most exhilarating MLS games I've seen in a long, long time

Aren't they usually exhilarating, anyway? It's a given for Portland and Seattle to give us the best MLS matchup of the week.

Very true, but this to me was the best Cascadia match I've seen

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

Aren't they usually exhilarating, anyway? It's a given for Portland and Seattle to give us the best MLS matchup of the week.

No matter what Cascadia clubs are playing, all Cascadia Cup matches are always MLS fixture of the week...

Sounders had a good win over FC Dallas last night, won 3-2 after being down 1-0 and 2-1. Dempsey had two goals, giving him five in two games, and six on the season. Finally!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Watched a little of the Indy game before the MNU game started last night. Saw the place packed and vibrant when the first goal was scored.

Someone at the bar yelled "You're watching history!"

...someone else responded: "Mike Ambersley can score a goal!"

:D

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Hey NASL, good idea making people pay to watch online.

You make it sound like a strange and novel concept. Any major sports leagues not do this?

I'd gladly pay to watch NFL games online but can't for any amount of money. I do pay to listen to MLB radio feeds online, and actually watching games is a ton of money on top of that. MLS also charges a subscription fee if you want to live-stream the games.

$30 is very reasonable for a season pass. I'm seriously considering getting it just for the Cosmos road games.

You make it sound like a strange and novel concept. Any major sports leagues not do this?

I'd gladly pay to watch NFL games online but can't for any amount of money. I do pay to listen to MLB radio feeds online, and actually watching games is a ton of money on top of that. MLS also charges a subscription fee if you want to live-stream the games.

$30 is very reasonable for a season pass. I'm seriously considering getting it just for the Cosmos road games.

There is a difference between an established league doing that and a new league that isn't established.

Especially when you have a competing league (USL-Pro) doing streams for free. It might be a bit of deterrent to potential new fans.

On a better note the NASL did wonderful this week in terms of attendance (except for Fort Lauderdale).

http://www.reddit.com/r/NASLSoccer/comments/22yp8n/the_nasl_attendance_thread_spring_season_week_1/

(I already checked the numbers on the NASL's website and they match the numbers on the reddit post.)

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Watched a little of the Indy game before the MNU game started last night. Saw the place packed and vibrant when the first goal was scored.Someone at the bar yelled "You're watching history!"...someone else responded: "Mike Ambersley can score a goal!" :D

That's pretty funny. Hope him the best of luck, fits the definition of the "little engine that could" player but results not always there consistently.

The Rowdies game was a near sellout, even with the increased capacity added by the midfield seating for this season. I am also happy to see that all Saturday home games will be televised locally too. Thinking about getting the season pass online.

There is a difference between an established league doing that and a new league that isn't established.

Especially when you have a competing league (USL-Pro) doing streams for free. It might be a bit of deterrent to potential new fans.

On a better note the NASL did wonderful this week in terms of attendance (except for Fort Lauderdale).

http://www.reddit.com/r/NASLSoccer/comments/22yp8n/the_nasl_attendance_thread_spring_season_week_1/

(I already checked the numbers on the NASL's website and they match the numbers on the reddit post.)

I really don't see USL Pro as a competitor with the NASL. Once you get below the top level of any sport, it's more about marketing locally than trying to win fans from any great distance.

And in that, I think the NASL is fairly established - they have teams in several good markets that have managed to become successful and draw fans.

I think the streaming is more about rewarding current fans than reaching out to new ones. New fans aren't going to bother with an internet stream when ticket prices for home games are so low.

USL Pro and NASL are competing for team locations maybe (St. Louis & OKC for example), but not for fans. A fan of Indy isn't going to start rooting for a USL team because it costs money to watch the away games. They are either a fan of Indy or they aren't.

$30 for all games is insanely reasonable. I'm probably going to get it for the away games as well.

I'll probably end up forking out the $30 to watch the Eleven when I'm not in Indy / they're on the road. Waiting to see some more feedback on how well the service actually works though.

EDIT: While USL Pro and the NASL might be "competing" for markets, there's certainly more clubs with poor attendance that hold the league back in the USL than the NASL.

Granted, I wouldn't expect Tampa Bay to draw 7,000 for the rest of the year (or Indy to consistently draw 10,000...) but the NASL's in a much better position moving forward to become a bona fide league.

IMO—and I wouldn't expect this to be a popular opinion—the NASL can be a true competitor to MLS come 10 or 15 years. We've already seen one dispute between the leagues over a player... how much longer until the teams in the league with more money start going after draft-bound MLS guys on a regular basis?

6fQjS3M.png

Well yeah, I'm not saying it's smart or not but I'd be shocked if we don't see the Cosmos going after more young MLS-bound talent by offering higher salaries—and if they're going out and spending to put a product on the field, more teams'll ultimately follow suit.

That's the beauty of the setup of the NASL to me—the clubs that want to spend and compete can.

6fQjS3M.png

Well yeah, I'm not saying it's smart or not but I'd be shocked if we don't see the Cosmos going after more young MLS-bound talent by offering higher salaries—and if they're going out and spending to put a product on the field, more teams'll ultimately follow suit.

That's the beauty of the setup of the NASL to me—the clubs that want to spend and compete can.

They already did that by signing the Whitecaps draft pick (Andre Lewis) which created some controversy until they loaned him back to the Whitecaps.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1688476/new-york-cosmos-loan-andre-lewis-vancouver-whitecaps?cc=5901

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Archived