Chris Kluwe: "Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot"

CS85

@ Goth, no, sorry. It's not right to single out anti-gay bigotry. NO bigotry of any kind should be allowed, tolerated or encouraged in the workplace or, ideally, anywhere else.

BTW, that's how I've always felt.

I'm glad to hear it. Far too many are willing to exempt anti-gay bigotry from that list, to excuse it or claim it isn't that bad.

But "singling it out"? The very subject of this thread? That's what we were talking about with the unrelated examples.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough. Re the above (@Goth), I only meant that in the context of expanding your statement to say all such behavior is unacceptable.

Here's the thing about the workplace, sports, politics, or just life. Aside from the obvious moral side - which should be the basis for people's actions, but isn't always - there's a sound business case (so to speak) against bigotry.

We all sink or swim with the people around us, be it superiors, peers, or subordinates, our friends, the players on a team, or the people we elect to lead us. Having the best is always better than having someone who happens to think or look the same way you do.

In other words, any boss who passes on a better-qualified applicant because of bias of whatever kind is an idiot in addition to being a bigot. Same for any voter who chooses a less-qualified candidate, a team who cuts a superior player, or a person who refuses their friendship for that reason. Aside from being wrong...it just doesn't make sense.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Splendid. Thank you.

As I said, we could all keep that in mind. I didn't read it before, but OnWis, I think your last post was over the line as well. These issues are sensitive enough without making them personal.

Huh?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Oh, crap.

I skipped your post the first time and then clearly failed to read it thoroughly when I did, because you said nothing wrong. I humbly apologize.

Here's the thing about the workplace, sports, politics, or just life. Aside from the obvious moral side - which should be the basis for people's actions, but isn't always - there's a sound business case (so to speak) against bigotry.

And yet... we've seen time and again that business can't always be trusted to regulate themselves. Too many require an outside influence to do the right (and smart) thing.

I'm not saying anyone should endure bigotry at work. Just saying for a yearly six figure income I would just shut up and do my job.

Profiles in Courage yo!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't know much about the NBA, but I feel like their ridiculous CBAs have kinda dehumanized players. It feels like on most teams you don't see 5 guys running around on the court, you see an exception, 2 expiring contracts, some big turd like Sam Dalembert making 20M/year pretty much just because that's what the CBA says he makes, and some guy acquired in a trade only for salary cap reasons.

I tend to agree with this. That's just the end result of a league that won't just give in and establish a hard salary cap, instead relying on a needlessly convoluted system of rules, loopholes and taxes to accomplish roughly the same thing.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Yeah. If that was happening.

And that's a pretty clever way to introduce misogyny into our conversation on institutionalized bigotry in sports.

I meant "pussifying" as in Lombardi's zero-tolerance on anyone chickening out of a game because of some "circumstances." Hell, he didn't give three-s#its about all the cold in the Ice Bowl, and several of his players got frostbite because of it, but the Packers won and that's all that matters to him.

Nowadays, from quarterbacks and receivers being awarded from pass interference and running-into calls, to banning home-plate collisions, to LeBron, there are ridiculous amounts of coddling in sports, that it's laughable what counts as actual play.

Players shouldn't get frostbite during a game. Coaches shouldn't be talking about nuking homosexuals. Wal-Mart workers shouldn't be forced to work off the clock. Children shouldn't be forced into manual labor for no pay.

The eight-hour work day is good. OHSA is good. Minimum wage is (too low) and good. Free agency is good. There are hard-fought wins of all levels of labor movements that we shouldn't ignore or give away because we like NFL Films and think Chris Kluwe is a dork.

Speaking of that, did anyone see Kluwe on Olbermann last night? He's actually much more likeable in the studio than printed word. Whereas his writing is too precious and Internet-memey, he comes across on TV as the earnest high school nerd you were secret friends with (or, more likely, were).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 2 weeks later...

In related news, Deadspin has the story of two Washington players who had a brief affair in the late 60s/early 70s.

Couple immediate thoughts:

- I love the non-reaction reactions of their teammates.

- Holy crap, those spear-helmet uniforms were gorgeous. Simple but elegant, great colors.

- It's great to see, once again, how far ahead of his time Vince Lombardi was. He had no time for bigots of any stripe, including homophobes. We need more like him today, in the NFL and in other positions of authority.

I suspect that there must be enough coaches who are appropriately meritocratic, though, or else the players who say they "don't want any sweet stuff" or whatever would be allowed to have their way more often than not. Not saying the situation is even approaching ideal, of course. Also,

a gay that played for a racist team. Gawker hit the jackpot on this one! Today 5:00pm

:lol:

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived