Cubs Mascot

Broken Record

As a Cubs fan it just seems awful silly. The idea that they had focus groups and such to come up with this just makes me chuckle. I realize there is a benefit of this with young children, but ehh, I still don't know.

Heck, they could have just hired the guy that dresses in the bear outfit outside Wrigley. That was a decent looking mascot costume.

billy_cub.jpg

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Cubs fan it just seems awful silly. The idea that they had focus groups and such to come up with this just makes me chuckle. I realize there is a benefit of this with young children, but ehh, I still don't know.

Heck, they could have just hired the guy that dresses in the bear outfit outside Wrigley. That was a decent looking mascot costume.

billy_cub.jpg

The ironic thing is that according to the article on MLB.com the Cubs are basically just making an official Billy Cub. To quote the article:

The Cubs say the mascot will not be on top of the dugout between innings, tossing T-shirts or hot dogs into the stands, and it won't disrupt the game. Instead, Clark will greet fans as they enter Wrigley Field, and also stop by the ballpark's "First Timers Booth" to welcome new guests. On family Sundays, the mascot will help kids run the bases after the game.

In other words he won't really be seen anywhere near the field except for Sundays. So basically he's there for PR and merchandise.

Sorry I don't get the uproar at all. Its a mascot, they are for kids. Its a fine cartoon bear. He's no worse than any number of current MLB mascots:

Mascots-MLB.jpg

Or some of the minor league ones:

mascot_mania.jpg

Pretty much par for the course. I do find it humorous that everything that was the Cubs game experience (no ads, no replays, largest outdoor bar) is going by the wayside with the Rickets. Perhaps that other Cubs tradition will be gone as well...

I think we can all agree that this mascot is better than Steely McBeam. The only reason this gets as much flak as it does is because it's the wonderful, wonderful Cubs.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm pretty sure turning young children into Cubs fans constitutes child abuse.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In reality, the Cubs are probably overdue on this. After all, it's just another thing the neighborhood did on its own while the team slept. But I really dislike what the Ricketts are doing. It's focused on everything but the winning. And despite wh at they claim, all the sideshow stuff doesn't add up to a winner.

But hey, those tips Clark takes away from Billy ought to be worth a rental player at the deadline by the time they next contend.

People get over yourselves. It's a mascot for a team named the Cubs that will visit sick kids in the hospital.

And fill them with so much despair that they crave death. Especially when he starts discussing "war stories".

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Old Style and a bullet is all he really needs...

I thought you were talking about the sick kids in the hospital for a second. Mostly because I'm just a horrible human being.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Yawn. The actual mascot does look rather bland and generic, but seriously? It's not even close to the worst mascot in MLB, and it's the perfect type of mascot for an older team like the Cubs.

(waits for the inevitable "but you're a dirty furry" comment)

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Aren't you? :upside:

It's not terrible, but the backwards cap looks way too fake. The unofficial mascot from above would be much better.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

768.jpg

Damn, he is pedobear.

Today, we are all otaku.

Aren't you? :upside:

It's not terrible, but the backwards cap looks way too fake. The unofficial mascot from above would be much better.

The backwards cap is really the only thing wrong with it.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived