It's the End for the Much Maligned LSU "Toonces" Logo

GeauxColonels

The logo that has been hated by the majority of LSU fans since it's unveiling is finally losing it's 9th life.

lsu-logo-collegefootballtalk-366034.jpg

LSU is slowly phasing out the cartoon tiger head logo that, in various iterations, spent more than a decade as the official face of the University. A stylized snarling tiger head that is essentially a graphic refresh of the popular logo on LSUs football helmets will take its place as the primary mark. LSU hopes the new logo resonates with a fan base that cherishes nostalgia.

"What we were trying to do is have a timeless tiger head, said LSU spokesman Michael Bonnette. "We figure the one thats on the helmet, with a few tweaks, gives us that.

http://tigerrag.com/football/toon-out-unpopular-lsu-logo-being-put-to-pasture

The logo will be replaced with the updated version of the football helmet logo that was introduced this fall on the LSU basketball court and basketball uniforms.

NewLSUBasketballiPhone52_zps24632246.png

gYH2mW9.png

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toonces looks like a generic high school logo, to be honest. Something you'd see on a sign or the wall of a gym of any school with Tigers as a mascot.

The newer logo is a decent update of the helmet logo. It's easier to associate with LSU.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Every time I see the Toonces head by itself, I think of this:

lsu_logo.jpg

The head looks like it's just plopped on the body and I can't unsee it. I don't remember the exact number, but the athletic department paid a ridiculous amount of money for that logo and most of the traditionalists threw a fit when it was unveiled. After the eye was unveiled and the new logo at center court, it was just a matter of time until the logo got phased out. I'm interested if they stick the new logo on the helmet or if it they keep the dandelion on there.

lsu_logo.jpg

The head looks like it's just plopped on the body and I can't unsee it. I don't remember the exact number, but the athletic department paid a ridiculous amount of money for that logo and most of the traditionalists threw a fit when it was unveiled. After the eye was unveiled and the new logo at center court, it was just a matter of time until the logo got phased out. I'm interested if they stick the new logo on the helmet or if it they keep the dandelion on there.

The eye's been around longer than Toonces, though. It's been around for a few decades, at least at midfield.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Every time I see the Toonces head by itself, I think of this:lsu_logo.jpg

The eye's been around longer than Toonces, though. It's been around for a few decades, at least at midfield.
True. But that was the only place it was found. It wasn't "logo-ized" until much later.

gYH2mW9.png

lsu_logo.jpg

I don't believe Nike started putting it on merchandise until the mid 2000's though because Toonces wasn't selling. I could be totally wrong there but that's always what I've heard.

Archived