Florida State Unveils New Logo and Uniforms

STL_ArchMadness

Winston said it,it's official,this "leaked" FSU logo is the new logo.

The thing I like about sports is the logos. But there is a question that still remains.

Is it a alternate? But I,and everyone thinks that this is a primary.

Considering it is an update of the old primary and no new logos were released with it, I would say yes it is the new primary logo. And besides, who the hell was thinking it would be an alt?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winston said it,it's official,this "leaked" FSU logo is the new logo.

The thing I like about sports is the logos. But there is a question that still remains.

Is it a alternate? But I,and everyone thinks that this is a primary.

Considering it is an update of the old primary and no new logos were released with it, I would say yes it is the new primary logo. And besides, who the hell was thinking it would be an alt?

dont mind him, his posts history should warn you. idk how he is passing for over 14 years old.....

I'm trying to like it but I really can't. It doesn't look cohesive. To me it looks like the feather was done by one design team, it's bold sharp, very modern looking. While the rest of the head looks very organic, like it was drawn with a marker. It looks like a big mismatch.

It appears more changes are coming:

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2014/4/3/5579340/florida-state-logo-uniform-helmet-change-nike-fsu

Beyond the logo change: Florida State's uniforms and helmet also changing

By Bud Elliott @SBNRecruiting on Apr 3 2014, 4:50p 798

The Florida State helmet will be changing along with the logo and the uniforms - Kim Klement-US PRESSWIRE

Yesterday, the Tomahawk Nation community broke the news of Florida State's new logo -- something FSU was hoping to release on April 11, thanks to Walmart displaying merchandise featuring the new logo. And I confirmed with multiple sources that the logo we shared is indeed the logo. It's not a prototype or a potential logo. It is the logo.

I can tell you that Florida State's people were really unhappy that the logo got out in the fashion that it did. I also know per multiple sources that they did not anticipate the negative reaction to the logo that swept through social media. I wonder if the people in charge of all the changes are really who should have been in charge of this project. They are in damage control mode right now -- and it's not easy to contain a social media reaction.

But that is another issue for another day. We're here to talk uniforms and helmets -- things I expect to see at Florida State's spring game. These are real and currently in FSU's facility.

Florida State's uniforms are changing. I knew the football changes were coming, but apparently all of the uniforms across all sports are changing according to Jeff Cameron of ESPN Radio Tallahassee.

Are the changes small? Not really. But that doesn't mean they are bad. Florida State is maintaining its garnet and gold color scheme, and in fact is attempting to normalize the color scheme so that people don't have different shades of Garnet when wearing different items of Florida State gear.

Cameron Thursday revealed that there is a greater incorporation of Seminole Tribe imagery on the uniforms. While I have not seen the new uniforms, I have been told by three people I trust who have seen them that the uniforms look great, and are not "Oregon-ish." These folks are traditionalists, and seem to like the uniform changes more than the logo. The Seminole Tribe imagery is incorporated on the shoulder pads in an awesome way, and also perhaps with some trim (I have mixed info on the trim issue and am working to get a picture of this to confirm). The garnet used on the logo, the jersey, and the pants (if any) will be the same shade.

The helmet is also undergoing changes. And these are important, because many will argue that Florida State's helmet is more iconic and recognizable than its Chief Osceola logo.

First, the spear is different. They now cross in the back of the helmet and are more Nike-ized. The Tomahawks will still be used.

Nike made the two Seahawks on Seattle's helmet connect before the 2013 season.

I am very aware of a matte garnet Florida State helmet, with color-change paint, and a gold face mask. However, I do not believe that will be the main helmet. I believe it could be paired with a garnet-on-garnet uniform combination. The blackout uniforms, which the players overwhelmingly love are also still there.

There is also the standard gold helmet that now features a gold face mask. There is some speculation that this will be the new official helmet, though I believe that is still being discussed. I would not rule out the classic gold helmet and garnet face mask combination that Seminoles fans love so much remaining the main gear.

Jimbo Fisher has long been in favor of Florida State's traditional uniforms, so how much FSU will wear alternate combinations, regardless of how much Nike wants it to, is very much up for debate. I'm also not ignorant to the fact that FSU, a top Nike school, is hosting Notre Dame, which just switched to Under Armour instead of going with Nike. If there is a time to debut alternate uniforms, that could be it.

In response to the release of the logo and this news, FSU has released a statement:

It is very important for you to know that the refinement we are making to our Seminole Head logo has been under development for almost two years and that the Seminole Tribe of Florida along with groups representing our student-athletes, coaches, Boosters and university administration were consulted during the process.

During the research phase of the project, we were stunned by the results of a meeting with current student-athletes held over a year ago. When asked what they considered to be our primary symbol, the group was unanimous in listing the Spear. In contrast, groups representing our coaches, supporters and administrators all listed the Seminole Head. This revelation reinforced a growing concern as we have seen a steady decline in the use of the Seminole Head logo on uniforms and fan apparel over the years.

The issue was that our Seminole Head, while as recognizable and iconic as any in all of sports, does not reproduce well in a number of mediums. It is particularly difficult to embroider and impossible to accurately represent on some materials including at midfield at Doak Campbell Stadium. We believe this image is the best in all of sports and that the result of our efforts will maximize the symbol on a national level.

The refined logo will allow us to use it more prominently across all platforms including our uniforms, sideline apparel and graphics.

We tasked Nike for help in refining the logo so that consistency can be achieved without diminishing the identity of the iconic image. We arrived at a design that can take FSU Athletics into the future.

On Friday, April 11, we will formally unveil Ignition...Tradition with a symbol that has renewed spark and energy.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I'm trying to like it but I really can't. It doesn't look cohesive. To me it looks like the feather was done by one design team, it's bold sharp, very modern looking. While the rest of the head looks very organic, like it was drawn with a marker. It looks like a big mismatch.

I was thinking the same thing. It almost looks like they took the feather from their men's basketball uniforms and pasted it on the head.

I also dont like the crooked FSU. I understand it is positioned correctly for the direction of the face, but... bleh. I just think it should read FSU like the logo rather than being rotated to fit with the head.

Just for the record... I think when this is all said and done, this will be one of Nike's best 2 or 3 rebrandings.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The feather clashing with the rest of the logo is bothersome. But the fact that it no longer fits naturally into the circle leads me to believe it was going to be that way from the get go since it's the same Nike design already uses on the basketball uniforms. Makes sense for Nike to rehash their designs on very application possible but it's also a damn shame.

Midway.png

Wow. They had the biggest piece of crap of a logo and now that they get a decent and sleek update brought to this day, they're complaining?? Just embarrassing... these people don't even deserve this new logo. And btw, all the concepts posted in this thread aren't even HALF as good as the official one.

Wow. They had the biggest piece of crap of a logo and now that they get a decent and sleek update brought to this day, they're complaining?? Just embarrassing... these people don't even deserve this new logo. And btw, all the concepts posted in this thread aren't even HALF as good as the official one.

this is what i mean when i say leaving a bunch of logos up for a vote is a bad idea. even if you throw in a really well drawn version like Mark Crosby did, a lot of people are going to vote for the one they understand and are familiar with; the original logo, or whatever is closest to it (the update).

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

FWIW, it was the first time I saw the original logo (and all the logos in question) before I posted my opinion. The official update is just so much superior in its execution to the one you are referring to.

And as a side note, the feather coming out of the circle shape is a great and modern touch.

I made this update a long time ago, might as well throw it on here.

seminole-2.png

It's a little over-designed (not sure if all the garnet-white-gold highlights in the hair really add anything, and the warpaint is too angular), but not bad overall.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived