Rite of Spring '14: Can you fall asleep with a panic switch?

The_Admiral

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad I could help. I've got a show myself. If you want a means to get anything off your chest before you have your own platform shoot me a PM.

Should we bring him in for a guest shot on BASS? I'd love a philosophy based sports discussion. Not that I'm bragging - OK, I'm bragging a little bit - I was the philosophy student of the year at Ohio State.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

People who pull the "How much of a fan are you?" card are the absolute worst. I've been following hockey since I was a toddler and absolutely love the game, but it's just a game. Nobody has to pay their dues to be a fan. Just enjoy the :censored:ing game and stop being a douche bag.

gbaCXZn.png

People who pull the "How much of a fan are you?" card are the absolute worst. I've been following hockey since I was a toddler and absolutely love the game, but it's just a game. Nobody has to pay their dues to be a fan. Just enjoy the :censored:ing game and stop being a douche bag.

I'm not sure which are worse: Fans who grade other fans or fans who live in an ivory tower of placidity, chiding those who cannot channel their inner Bryzgalov.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm not sure which are worse: Fans who grade other fans or fans who live in an ivory tower of placidity, chiding those who cannot channel their inner Bryzgalov.

Sports are just a game, and there is absolutely no legitimate reason to be upset over them. But I do understand that sports have a strong emotional connection with people, myself included. And I have had my fair share of meltdowns over sports. One of the reasons I love hockey so much, is because for some reason it stresses me out a little bit while I'm watching. It's one of those things where you know you're being stupid, but you just can't stop it. As I said earlier in the thread, do as I say not as I do. :P

However, the thing I don't care for when it comes to sports (and it happens in quite a few other areas) is this sense of entitlement that some fans get because they've "been fans since the beginning." Nobody has to pay their dues to be a fan of something. Nobody has to prove they deserve to be a fan. Hockey is just a game, and the NHL is just a business. Why you wouldn't want more people to cheer for your favorite team is beyond me, and acting like a gatekeeper for your team is stupid.

You are no more entitled to like a team than anyone else.

gbaCXZn.png

Not to mention that, in the event that you like multiple teams across sports (which is, like, 90% of sports fans), there's a decent chance you'll become a fan of one team during a bad spell and one team during a good spell.

For instance, I can't help the fact that my earliest sporting memories come in the latter half of the '90s, when the Buccaneers had the best six-season stretch in their franchise history. I had no chance to witness the horrors of 1982-1996; not exactly something I could control. I came in during a good spell, but lets just say I've also stuck it out during the (largely) bad spell that began about two seconds after they won Super Bowl XXXVII.

Did I "pay my dues" up front? No, because I didn't have a chance. I guess I just decided to do like college loans instead and wait half-a-decade before getting around on paying my interest-inflated dues.

spacer.png

'Hawks up a pair early. An encouraging sign for Chicago fans who have yet to waive the white flag.

Can I slap him? I wanna slap him.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

'Hawks up a pair early. An encouraging sign for Chicago fans who have yet to waive the white flag.

Didn't people just talk about how you were/are an Oilers fan? So how about that white flag?

Edit: And the past couple posts about anyone being a fan of a team.

deK8sJk.png

Just put him on your ignore list like I did. My board experience/life is infinitely more improved because of it.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Didn't people just talk about how you were/are a Oilers fan? So how about that white flag?

FTR: My Edmonton fanhood was nearly a decade ago and well before I relocated to Southern California.

I hope that answers that -- until y'all ask again next postseason. B)

6uXNWAo.png

Just put him on your ignore list like I did. My board experience/life is infinitely more improved because of it.

Sour grapes for me blocking you on Twitter last week?

----

Stoll puts LA on the board. Aaaaand Saad just answers.

6uXNWAo.png

taVQbOF.gif

3-1, Oilers fan.

What do I have to do with this?

:P

I was responding to CujOilers. I'm assuming his post was something about the LA goal.

twitter

Archived